Why wasn't Justice League Action given more of a chance?

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Not to mention that JLA wasn't really heavy on the action to begin with. It did have action, but nothing that I think could be considered too violent to the point where parents would complain about it. JLA was still a light hearted series at the end of the day, so that shouldn't have been an issue.

Yeah honestly most any other original Cartoon Network series probably technically has more impactful and brutal shots of violence. Justice League Action hoenstly was pitched as a more Y7 kind of series while ever since Adventure Time, most original CN series have a light PG, even stuff like Teen Titans Go. And granted it's not like it's lead to the shows being a lot more mature or brutal or hard core then Cartoon Cartoons in the pass but it has allowed them to get away with a bit more of an edge then say a Disney or Nicktoon would show nowadays. Which would include bits of violence... which are a part of them but not the main issue. Again JLA wasn't marketed or sold because it was too violent but because it advertised it's action and story over it's zaniness which is not how Cartoon Network even really pitches it's series anymore. Like I've said before the more a show seems like it has a structure and constant continuity and a story apparently the harder CN finds it to constantly mash around episodes to put in they're reruns slot thus the less of them those more "serious" shows get.

As for issue with the JL live action movie, I don't think that its reception and box office result would have affected Cartoon Network's treatment of the series. It might have made them even less interested in renewing it at most, but the JL movie came out just a couple of months ago and Cartoon Network has been treated the series poorly pretty much since it started, so I doubt that would contribute to how it was treated either.

Yeah it's pretty obvious CN doesn't care about the live action DC movies or shows even if it's in regards to properties on they're channel. Seriously they could of easily promoted JL with a marathon of JLA or heck even Teen Titans Go (since Cyborg's in JL and they could of gone "want more Cyborg check out this upcoming movie he's in") which they obviously didn't do. Back in the day CN and WB would work more in tandem on these things a bit but yeah pretty obvious CN is a lot more separated in terms of caring with whatever the DCEU or it's team got and would only care about a movie if it's something that they are directly involved with making or involves on they're shows. Thus why you'll probably see a lot of marketting buzz around Teen Titans Go to the movies in a few months until that film comes but again not see them really do or care about anything regarding the DCEU's JL.

Last edited:

thomas2313412

It's either reboots or toy oriented shows with cheap animation that's mainly comedy and hardly any other variety. But I've come to accept this long time ago.

I guess that answers my question.

JLA had it the most unfortunate, it is sad that this show was really good but it didn't really get much attention from Cartoon Network, even when this show really didn't fall into the other categories of what would likely keep a show from not airing on CN too long. Not sure if a toyline got in the way of this show like Sym Bionic Titan but for whatever reason they didn't care much about this show it is something that just is a headscratcher.

I just really hope that DC Superhero Girls the TV series does finally break the declining pattern of other DC shows that it does well with the channel during the post-Go era.

Well maybe Justice league action along with DC superhero girls will air on the new DC universe streaming service along with teen titans go (probably)

It's pretty obvious it's a branding/image issue. And I don't mean it being made by a specific company since yeah Teen Titans Go and Unikitty are not based on Cartoon Network totally original brand but Warner Brothers brands so it's not just catering to 100% "we own this" content. it has to do with the actual image and vibe of the show. Now if you look back the creators admitted even with Justice League Action they had to shorten the length of episodes to the now standard 11 minute format and throw in more goofy material then they're other series even to get it on Cartoon Network, compared to them originally just wanting to make more strictly kids action oriented content. However even in it's current state, it's pretty clear the focus of action and even of more "serious" stories and character beats are not something that Cartoon Network is trying to present themselves as. I mean even looking through an average line up of they're shows that they do show and even past the countless marathons of Teen Titans Go and Amazing World of Gumball, it's obvious CN still only caters to silly comedy shows. We Bare Bears, Unikitty, Ben 10 2017, OK KO Let's Be Heroes etc. Yeah some of these series can sneak in more dramatic or character stuff but that's clearly not how they're advertised. Heck even series that have proven over and over again that they're hot sellers and do good ratings get marganlized if they aren't fitting the network's brand. Thus why Steven Universe has so few repeat slots lately despite still doing well whenever it does premiere. It's pretty obvious CN just took the show not wanting another network to have a DC series on it but since it didn't fit they're brand and look didn't give it proper attention and growth. I mean usually CN will blitz and market like crazy any premiere of a series but they barely did anything with JLA's premiere and somehow did even less when the show was even airing. It shows really how sad and bitter and how singularly focused CN which is honestly a problem that a lot of people have picked up but not enough talk is done on how it can be fixed since until it is, shows like this will never come out or never be given the just dues they've earned.

Yes,I sadly agree with some of your opinions it's like cartoon network is focusing more on comedy shows that led them to another dork age unless if they change the programming to air 22 minutes shows and adventures show with some comedy shows right after when infinity train airs next year

. And granted merchandising sales are still important but honestly I think it's even more important for them to get people attached to they're online brand then even toys nowadays and thus focusing on bright flash colors and images to attract kids without caring as much about those who want more impactful action series, sadly enough.

Sadly I agree with that opinion

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts