Why the lack of creator driven animation on Netflix?

TheMisterManGuy

Baring a few exceptions like Bojack Horseman and F is for Family, nearly all of Netflix's animation lineup consists of reboots, acquisitions, DreamWorks spin-offs, or toy commercials. There's a distinct lack of creator driven animated productions on the service. Why is that? I'd love for some Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, or Disney alumni to create a Netflix original. And since Netflix is subscriber funded, the teams could have more creative freedom than on cable since they don't have to worry about advertisers or focus groups. Unless Netflix has more I am not aware of, in which case, I'd happily be wrong. But it seems like every time Netflix announces a new original animated series, it's always based off an existing property or is a co-production with a foreign studio.

Gear3dGryph0n

Even though Netflix is well-established on the live-action side, I don't think I've ever heard any big-ticket studios or creators willingly say they'd pick Netflix over Nick, Disney, or CN. Netflix has a decidedly mainstream focus and is largely aimed at the 18-34 kinds of people who watch the big-name cable networks. They never exactly put a premium on kids' content, which is why they seem content to farm it out to established brands like DreamWorks rather than take a risk funding something they don't know about. As far as adult cartoons, it's far easier for them to order things like F is for Family or BoJack Horseman because they both have at least some stylistic similarities to pre-existing adult cartoons (the former case both being based on an established formula and helmed by a popular comedian).

Kids' content on the Internet is largely dominated by shorter-form YouTube videos, although Amazon has shown itself to be willing to take a bit more of a chance. Needless to say, independent studios and creators have a tough choice ahead of them.

TheMisterManGuy

Even though Netflix is well-established on the live-action side, I don't think I've ever heard any big-ticket studios or creators willingly say they'd pick Netflix over Nick, Disney, or CN. Netflix has a decidedly mainstream focus and is largely aimed at the 18-34 kinds of people who watch the big-name cable networks. They never exactly put a premium on kids' content, which is why they seem content to farm it out to established brands like DreamWorks rather than take a risk funding something they don't know about. As far as adult cartoons, it's far easier for them to order things like F is for Family or BoJack Horseman because they both have at least some stylistic similarities to pre-existing adult cartoons (the former case both being based on an established formula and helmed by a popular comedian).

Kids' content on the Internet is largely dominated by shorter-form YouTube videos, although Amazon has shown itself to be willing to take a bit more of a chance. Needless to say, independent studios and creators have a tough choice ahead of them.
I'd like to see Netflix take a few more risks with children's programing in the future. They have talked about wanting to foster a reliable kids audience in the past, and they do a fine job with the stuff they pick up now. But it would be nice to see them put out creator driven kids cartoons.

Dudley

Staff member
Netflix is actually getting a lot of kids cartoons as part of their "originals". A lot of which have yet to be released. It's true though that almost all of it is based on pre-existing content.
The reason for this is to rely on familiarity. It's a huge risk to make a new series featuring characters no one's heard of, not to mention spend a lot on an ad campaign just to make people aware of it. They should probably do what Frederator did with Bravest Warriors, by picking up a series from a well known creator with a similar style to their previous, more well known series. That way they get something that's new IP AND something that's familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMisterManGuy

Netflix is actually getting a lot of kids cartoons as part of their "originals". A lot of which have yet to be released. It's true though that almost all of it is based on pre-existing content.
The reason for this is to rely on familiarity. It's a huge risk to make a new series featuring characters no one's heard of, not to mention spend a lot on an ad campaign just to make people aware of it. They should probably do what Frederator did with Bravest Warriors, by picking up a series from a well known creator with a similar style to their previous, more well known series. That way they get something that's new IP AND something that's familiar.

You'd think for a subscription only streaming service free from advertisers or focus groups, that Netflix would be more accepting of creator driven animated works than cable networks would. Surprisingly this isn't the case, most of the creative and risky animated kids shows right now are on cable networks with commercials and S&P regulations, while the safer, often toy-driven projects are on Netflix. The opposite is true for their live action shows. Netflix has all the risky stuff while cable has the safer, focus-tested fare.

But if what you're suggesting would be enough to convince Netflix to take Creator Driven children's animation more seriously, then so be it.

jaylop97

Staff member
Netflix has been over reliant on Dreamworks shows and Canadian acquisitions, I think if they did always lose rights to Dreamworks then clearly that would be the time they start something original, of course they jut need more time for this stuff.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts