Why No Love For Gatchaman/Battle Of The Planets

Mr Flintstone

I get the impression that everyone knows who The Power Ranger and Voltron are. Both has been recently rebooted. But when it comes to Battle of the Planets, I get the feeling, unless you were a child of the 70's, you know nothing about it. What makes this sad is that both The Power Rangers and Voltron were inspired or flat out ripoffs of Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets. Plus, BOTP was better than both.

I know they were once planning a big screen movie, but I haven't heard anything in years. A live action adaptation would actually work IMO. Whoever owns the BOTP need to get on the ball.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Actually, there's been a number of Gatchaman projects in Japan in recent years from the the re-imagineering of the franchise, Gatchaman Crowds, to the upcoming Infini-T Force (which features heroes from various Tatsunoko shows including Gatchaman).

Kirben

Don't forget Eagle Riders, which was a butchered English version loosely based off Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter too.

My interest in Gatchaman was through Eagle Riders, and I'm currently watching the uncut version of Gatchaman II. The amount of deaths on the good side is shocking, it is amazing that Saban manged to make a safe English version out of the later Gatchaman series.

The uncut versions of Gatchman II and Gatchaman Fighters were recently released on DVD (English subs only) by Sentai Filmworks, for anyone interested in checking out the uncut originals.

Mr Flintstone

That's what made Battle of the Planets so good. There was death and not every episode ended on a happy note.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts