• Enter to win two tickets to Howl's Moving Castle. Details here.

Why is the younger generation more into gritty stories?

Latest News & Videos

James35

And I don't mean that in a bad way! Game of Thrones is awesome!

Most of the young people I know love Game of Thrones but it seems like successful people in their 30s are less likely to be into it.

https://zenparentingradio.com/podcasts/189-2/

They sound like nice people but what the heck is ultimate fighting?

Are successful people in their 30s more likely to be less interested in epic gritty entertainment or is that just an assertion? Are a good portion of people in their 30s obsessed with everything be safe and clean?

What are your experiences with the 30s demographic? Are the young more accepting of "geek" culture?
https://winteriscoming.net/2017/01/...-and-fire-game-of-thrones-demographic-survey/

Did people in their 30s grew up in a more happy time or in an era where geek culture was less accepted or of Game of Thrones quality?

Should we have good stories of HBO quality that are toned down for these people? Did we need good introductions to genre fare?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
At least in Flanders, people in their 30s grew up with Marvel cartoons and comics and are more likely to accept geek culture than people in their 20s, who have never seen a Marvel or DC comic, and have seen very little of it on TV.

But then Disney came and made Marvel popular again, also for people who didn't grow up with it.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
And I don't mean that in a bad way! Game of Thrones is awesome!

Most of the young people I know love Game of Thrones but it seems like successful people in their 30s are less likely to be into it.

https://zenparentingradio.com/podcasts/189-2/

They sound like nice people but what the heck is ultimate fighting?

Are successful people in their 30s more likely to be less interested in epic gritty entertainment or is that just an assertion? Are a good portion of people in their 30s obsessed with everything be safe and clean?

What are your experiences with the 30s demographic? Are the young more accepting of "geek" culture?
https://winteriscoming.net/2017/01/...-and-fire-game-of-thrones-demographic-survey/

Did people in their 30s grew up in a more happy time or in an era where geek culture was less accepted or of Game of Thrones quality?

Should we have good stories of HBO quality that are toned down for these people? Did we need good introductions to genre fare?
"It's all the fault of those darn Millennials, they're even changing our TV shows!!" ;)

I've seen this argument before. "How did our TV shows go from 'MacGyver' to 'The Walking Dead'?"

In a nutshell, I think the Sept. 11th attacks left a scar on the nation's psyche and the TV shows changed to reflect it. "Battlestar Galactica", "24", "Lost" and "Heroes" became the TV shows of a generation, and it's what the younger viewers have grown up expecting from their shows now.

I don't know the answer. Probably 25 years from now, older TV viewers will be wishing shows were more like "The Walking Dead" from when they were younger.

EDIT: Also, I'm moving this to the Entertainment forum.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
When a person (doesn't really matter the age) sees something that is radically different from something they're used to, they're very likely going to gravitate towards it. If, for example, they've been exposed to cartoons that are lighthearted and safe for years, then suddenly they come across an episode of Batman: TAS, they're going to feel a euphoric sensation and want to expose themselves more to works like it.

Of course, the same can happen in the reverse direction. It's a psychological effect.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Why can't Cartoon Network air shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa and Clarence instead of Toddler Tightwads No!?

I like her response as to why she chooses Grover.
If you're a writer and a showrunner of a stale show for almost two decades and you disregard an episode you already wrote back in the 90s because of some controversial documentary, I cannot take you seriously anymore.
Asa
Was it ever confirmed that CN will host their 2019-2020 upfront this year?
I would love to see a Loud House spinoff comic starring the Loud Family as Ace Savvy and The Full House Gang. Heck, might as well give all the other Loud House characters card-themed superhero/supervillain identities.