Why is that not many animation shows for teens?

tony6

I seen and have heard about animated shows for kids and adults. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the kid shows growing up like SpongeBob. I also like adult shows like Family Guy and American Dad. There's one thing that's missing is animation for teens. I seen shows like this in the past. Why is that are not that many shows for this demographic?

Moe

1) Possibly because of peer pressure and they see animation as kids.

2) They do exist like The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, King of the Hill, Bob's Burgers, etc.

3) Lack of representation or demand

tony6

1) Possibly because of peer pressure and they see animation as kids.

2) They do exist like The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, King of the Hill, Bob's Burgers, etc.

3) Lack of representation or demand
Okay. When will young adult animation happen?

Moe

Okay. When will young adult animation happen?
They already exist, that what adult animation is for.

There aren't enough demand for teen animated shows and most primetime adult animated shows tend to get TV-PG to TV-14.

If not enough, you may should to run the business to make the shows and it is difficult to get all networks to agree and possibly end up on small streaming service. It is easier for networks to capitalize the general adult animated shows but they hadn't same success with teens, so live action is easy and routine option.

tony6

They already exist, that what adult animation is for.

There aren't enough demand for teen animated shows and most primetime adult animated shows tend to get TV-PG to TV-14.

If not enough, you may should to run the business to make the shows and it is difficult to get all networks to agree and possibly end up on small streaming service. It is easier for networks to capitalize the general adult animated shows but they hadn't same success with teens, so live action is easy and routine option.
Okay. How do I make channel on that?

Moe

Okay. How do I make channel on that?
Run the media business, hire anyone to make the show and contract with streaming service, or you can run the website based streaming service and it means you need to buy server or host it like Amazon to run it. Those aren't straightforward and that why we don't have a lot of media that is about deaf actors.

Media companies rely on surveys, rating, sale and feedbacks to determine the future of contents and they don't find teen animated shows to be a higher demand. Adult animated shows like Family Guy will make this problem more worse. If adult animated shows didn't exist, it may be a different story.

tony6

Run the media business, hire anyone to make the show and contract with streaming service, or you can run the website based streaming service and it means you need to buy server or host it like Amazon to run it. Those aren't straightforward and that why we don't have a lot of media that is about deaf actors.

Media companies rely on surveys, rating, sale and feedbacks to determine the future of contents and they don't find teen animated shows to be a higher demand. Adult animated shows like Family Guy will make this problem more worse. If adult animated shows didn't exist, it may be a different story.
I meant for teens only.

Pooky

Staff member
If you were to drill into the statistics I wouldn't be surprised if a large section, perhaps even a majority, of viewers for Adult cartoons like Rick and Morty are actually in their teens. And some adult cartoons like Big Mouth arguably might be aimed at teens more than adults.

Some teens, especially younger teens, do still watch cartoons aimed at kids, which often feature teenage characters anyway (I suspect this number may be shrinking in the streaming\YouTube age, but who knows). What they probably tend not to do is buy the merchandise, and merchandising, for better or worse, has a close relationship with animation for under-18s. It probably makes more financial sense to make cartoons for the 7-11 audience, and get teenager viewers as a bonus, or make cartoons that can theoretically appeal to adults but will sell to teenagers in the process.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts