Why is it that Animation isn't taken seriously in the U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkullRing

I mean, most people think of animation as kids stuff and what I want to know is why and what can we do to counter that perception.

BCVM22

No one here is going to be able to give you a definitive "why." People can surmise, sure, but it's public perception, which is often something that differs for every individual, and so there isn't one single answer to give.

There's nothing "we" can do, really. Public perception is an impossible beast to tame. You could put up billboards, run ads, hand out flyers and you wouldn't be able to change much.

But you know what? It doesn't matter. Of all the terrible, stereotypical misconceptions the public and society at large accept as truth, this really isn't one of them. It's cartoons. Usually if cartoons and questions of society as a whole cross paths, it's someone overreacting or reading too much in to something. Watch what you watch, enjoy what you enjoy, and if someone questions it, explain it to them. End of story.

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
I mean, most people think of animation as kids stuff and what I want to know is why and what can we do to counter that perception.

animation is not kids stuff in the u.s. Look at simpsons, king of the hill, family guy, american dad, etc.

i think the question ppl are really asking is why we can't get more stylized action shows with blood, violence, death, etc. that specifically appeal to teens and young adults. thats a fairly different question.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
My short answer is that some adults are open to watching cartoons, especially some kid target ones, but avoid them to fit the sterotype of being the perfect mature adult. The irony is that forcefeeding maturity itself is immature.

You can see my full take on that here:

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=190553

BCVM22 said:
There's nothing "we" can do, really. Public perception is an impossible beast to tame. You could put up billboards, run ads, hand out flyers and you wouldn't be able to change much.

If someone were to create a survey asking teens/adults if they like cartoons, and the higher percentage is pro towards cartoons, then I'd image public perception would to a degree change. After all if it was proven that the higher percentage of people (especially teens/adults) like cartoons, then the whole "it's not normal for adults" arguement wouldn't hold water.

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
Since when? Simpsons, Family Guy, and all of Fox's other adult animation does extremely well in the 18+ ratings. I'd say it's accepted just fine.

Antiyonder

Staff member
Since when? Simpsons, Family Guy, and all of Fox's other adult animation does extremely well in the 18+ ratings. I'd say it's accepted just fine.

I believe SkullRing is refering to animation in general, not just Simpsons, King Of The Hill and Adult Swim.

Gokou Ruri

I believe SkullRing is refering to animation in general, not just Simpsons, King Of The Hill and Adult Swim.
I'd say the fact most of the adult animation made is accepted and popular is a pretty good track record, myself. Unless he meant why adults don't take kids animation seriously... but why should adults accept kids shows if they don't want to?

SkullRing

Well, I've also always wondered why there is very little serious animation for adults in the U.S.A.. It seems that all the animation for adults is comedies.

Antiyonder

Staff member
I'd say the fact most of the adult animation made is accepted and popular is a pretty good track record, myself. Unless he meant why adults don't take kids animation seriously... but why should adults accept kids shows if they don't want to?

Because some shows aimed towards the younger audience has proven to be entertaining to adults:

Batman The Animated Series-Justice League Unlimited
Gargoyles
Kim Possible

Even the TMNT movie.

Yes, there are animated shows for kids and for adults, but you forget to consider the rare but existing family animation. And while the recent Spider-Man cartoon will obviously be for the younger demograph, the crew behind it seem to be intent to also include us old folks along for the ride.

I'm not saying they have to like, but don't just assume they dislike. I myself wasn't sure I'd enjoy Kim Possible, given the tween shows on the Disney Channel preceeding it. However, I viewed the first 3 to 4 episodes and ended up enjoying it.

Gokou Ruri

Well, I've also always wondered why there is very little serious animation for adults in the U.S.A.. It seems that all the animation for adults is comedies.
No market for it, really. That's why 90%+ of animation in the world is for kids. That's where the money is.

Henk55

I'm much more annoyed with networks people stereotyping cartoons. Which represents itself in all the generical wonkiness in "designed for kids" cartoons, like "what network shirt thinks kids like." I really hate that phrase "designed for kids." Real fun cartoons weren't really "designed for kids" they were designed by their creators as what they thought was fun.

Kagetsu

Hooligan
Saturday morning and censors.

In the beginning, the only US animation was Disney "Fariey tale" movies and Saturday morning tv cartoons, that the censors cut any and violence from and came to the point that only stories that showed cooperation and the "group is right" were allowed.

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
Why? Because the baby boomer generation was the first to see animation as a television medium exclusively, theatrical shorts were formatted with kid-friendly hosts, and these children grew up with the mentality that animation is purely for kids, thus continuing that belief when they became in power in the mid-70s, 80s, 90s, and today.

I talked about that many moons ago in this article. Nobody really reads the site anymore, but I digress.

How can that perception be reversed? When my generation, the children of the late 70s and the 80s, take over. When you look at an outfit like Williams Street, it's mostly comprised of members of this generation in producer and production roles. Look at a guy like Seth McFarlane, and it's evident that the shows of that era are deeply ingrained within him.

The moment when the perception of animation being only kid-vid fodder will shift when the so-called Generation X members take higher positions of power within the industry.

tb4000

When creators attempt to make more adult oriented fare, it doesn't always provide the neccessary response(read: profit) that kiddies do. Look at most of the animated trailers for animated movies. There may be one or two clever jokes or pieces of dialogue, but most of the is burp and fart jokes and slapstick.

Gokou Ruri

Then please explain why Princess Mononoke was so huge in Japan, or why many people I know thought the anime scene in Kill Bill was one of the best parts.
Mononoke is not for adults, it's a family movie like Disney's stuff. Some blood, violence, and death doesn't make something adult, since that stuff can be found in tons of Disney movies. Kill Bill, well, that's a focused example since it's based off first-hand knowledge from you and your friends. I doubt the majority of people who watched it did so for the animated sequence. Even so, it's a live-action movie most of the time so it will be considered as such.

Even in Japan, animation is still mostly for kids and any series for adults doesn't do nearly as well as the kids stuff (that's why the top 10 animated shows are always kids stuff) The fact Family Guy and other adult shows make it to the top of the animated list in America means Americans are more open to adult animation than Japan is. Of course, I doubt a lot of anime fans would accept that and try to refute it.

HG Revolution

Truth (with crazy opinions!)
Mononoke is not for adults, it's a family movie like Disney's stuff. Some blood, violence, and death doesn't make something adult, since that stuff can be found in tons of Disney movies.

Really? Mononoke felt more like Tolkien than Disney to me, and I recall Miyazaki saying the film wasn't appropriate for elementary school children. Also, Porco Rosso is definitely an adult-oriented movie according to Miyazaki.

In general, I guess serious adult animation is a lost cause. Then again, adults in general are lost causes as well. Kids soak up everything, then teenagers and young adults become more critical, but by the time you hit 30 or so the beast of nostalgia seems to kick in and you get scared of anything new and exciting. Family Guy is huge with older people mostly because they watched The Simpsons and similar shows when they were younger. Experimental movies marketed directly at adults tend to flop (even Citizen Kane did so). Stuff aimed directly at kids isn't taken seriously by teens and up for the most part, so that's bad business in general. So I'd say that the best way for animation (and film in general) to go is to market more work to the family crowd that will be appreciative of creativity, perhaps with looser, more Japan-like standards of what is appropriate for families.

MonkeyFunk

Kids and grown-ups love me so
I could be wrong, but the USA doesn't seem to have any notable organisations that are willing to fund and promote offbeat animation. I'd say that round about half of the UK's animation (roughly speaking - it's hard to quantify) is adult-oriented, and a good proportion of that seems to be non-comedy; a lot of the thanks for this has to go to Channel 4's funding schemes. Similarly, Canada has its National Film Board, which has produced a lot of great stuff over the years. Does the USA have an equivalent?

launchpad25

Even in Japan, animation is still mostly for kids and any series for adults doesn't do nearly as well as the kids stuff (that's why the top 10 animated shows are always kids stuff) The fact Family Guy and other adult shows make it to the top of the animated list in America means Americans are more open to adult animation than Japan is. Of course, I doubt a lot of anime fans would accept that and try to refute it.
I always use to think that Japan is more open to adult animation that America. Sure the mind set has changed a bit in America, but i never thought that adult animation would now be frowned upon in Japapn. Am i missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts