Why is it so difficult for a fourth major kids network to actually become a thing?

Latest News & Videos

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
I think it’s because the three have been firmly established for a long time now. Also more people are movie to streaming, so Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime are the next new channels.

Tacomaster

Aug 31, 2018
none of your business

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016
Nickelodeon was the first kids network, Disney Channel had the entire Disney library, Cartoon Network had the entire Hanna-Barbera library and part of the Warner Bros library. These helped all of these networks get their start. No other network had their own hook like they did.

Reactions: abisert

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Nickelodeon was the first kids network, Disney Channel had the entire Disney library, Cartoon Network had the entire Hanna-Barbera library and part of the Warner Bros library. These helped all of these networks get their start. No other network had their own hook like they did.
Makes me feel DiC really missed their chance. Even back in the 90’s they had one of the largest libraries of kids content in the world. Now it’s part of DHX Media, which is a major media company in Canada. I can understand not wanting to try to be the fourth network in the States. The window of opportunity is gone, and is just not worth it now that kids have SVOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tacomaster

Aug 31, 2018
none of your business
Makes me feel DiC really missed their chance. Even back in the 90’s they had one of the largest libraries of kids content in the world. Now it’s part of DHX Media, which is a major media company in Canada. I can understand not wanting to try to be the fourth network in the States. The window of opportunity is gone, and is just not worth it now that kids have SVOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny thing, I heard DiC was supposed to launch a digital sub channel back in the mid 2000s, though I may be wrong.