Why is Greg Cipes voicing Beast Boy in Young Justice Season 3?

Latest News & Videos

CyberCubed

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but is anyone surprised about this? Beast Boy already had a voice in Young Justice, and while there is a time skip, the actor surely aged in real life and could play an older version of the character.

Greg Cipes voicing him since Teen Titans is great, but it feels weird for him to be voicing Beast Boy in a completely different continuity. Why do you think this happened? So far out of the 3 eps of Young Justice Season 3 that has aired I like his performance, since this Beast Boy isn't as exaggerated as Teen Titans one so he's not always shouting comedic lines.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
From what I heard, Logan Grove enlisted in the Navy and couldn't reprise the role.

CyberCubed

Well that's interesting. Still doesn't explain why Greg Cipes got to reprise his role rather than going with anyone new. Beast Boy appeared in a few of those DC animated movies with a new voice actor, did he not?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Brandon Soo Hoo.

Not like the answer for that is out there yet. Could be any number of reasons. Schedule conflicts. Maybe they wanted to cast the older of the 2 actors. Idk. I can try and ask on twitter, not guaranteed a reply.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I just figured that they wanted to go for a more recognizable voice for Beast Boy if his original voice actor from season two was unavailable.

#TeamMike

What's surprising is that Greg Weisman has stated he wouldn't use previous VA's for the same characters in the past to avoid confusion.

Bruce Greenwood was an exception because he had only voiced Batman in Under the Red Hood at the time, and Weisman felt that audiences were unfamiliar enough with his take to use him again.

the greenman

I was kinda surprised myself. It might be a story issue too, as this version is now a celebrity. Cipes seems to wear that aspect of the part like a comfortable shoe.

AdrenalineRush1996

Why couldn't they just bring in Jeremy Shada instead? He'd be a great fit to voice the character, especially after voicing Lance in VLD plus I just don't think it's right to bring in Cipes to voice the character for YJ since this is not the same show as Teen Titans. I just hope he's only voicing him on temporary basis before they get a permanent VA for the character, though I'm not expecting it.

SweetShop209

Why couldn't they just bring in Jeremy Shada instead? He'd be a great fit to voice the character, especially after voicing Lance in VLD plus I just don't think it's right to bring in Cipes to voice the character for YJ since this is not the same show as Teen Titans. I just hope he's only voicing him on temporary basis before they get a permanent VA for the character, though I'm not expecting it.
Well, in the Lego DC Supervillains video game, Greg Cipes and Tara Strong reprised Beast Boy and Raven, but Cyborg was voiced by Bumper Robinson (reprising from Justice League Doom), while Stuart Allan and Kari Wahlgren voiced Robin and Starfire (reprising from the New 52 movies) instead of Scott Menville and Hynden Walch. With that said, I do wonder why they didn't get Jason Spisak to reprise the role from the Young Justice Legacy video game.

AdrenalineRush1996

Well, in the Lego DC Supervillains video game, Greg Cipes and Tara Strong reprised Beast Boy and Raven, but Cyborg was voiced by Bumper Robinson (reprising from Justice League Doom), while Stuart Allan and Kari Wahlgren voiced Robin and Starfire (reprising from the New 52 movies) instead of Scott Menville and Hynden Walch. With that said, I do wonder why they didn't get Jason Spisak to reprise the role from the Young Justice Legacy video game.
I know but it's just that they could've brought Brandon Soo Hoo to voice him instead of Cipes for this due to him voicing the character in the animated films or Shada since I feel like his voice would be a great fit after watching Voltron: Legendary Defender.

Dragnatek

Because sadly at this point he's the only voice of beast boy. Kind of sadness me. He's fine for the Teen Titans versions but come on don't make that the only version.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Apparently John K. is FINALLY finished with 'Cans Without Labels'.
I was never a big fan of Hannah Montana, but it had the best brother-sister relationship I have ever seen on TV.
I'll Be making February 2019 Nick Premieres on Tuesday or Thursday.
lots of things might be scheduled ones that include Crashletes, Double Dare (Special & S1 Finale), LSBS (S2 Finale), More Henry Danger and Cousins For Life... Knight Squad (S2 Premiere), The Loud House, SpongeBob, RainbowButterflyUnicornKitty, Sunny Day, Peppa Pig & Lots More...
SPECULATION So, I've decided the only CN originals we could see added to Boomerang this year are Dexter's Laboratory and Codename: Kids Next Door, already among the most requested shows on the platform. Everything else is on CN On Demand through the end of the year or on Hulu, and we may not see those until 2020 at the earliest. This does not include some of the lesser-known CN stuff.
RTP and SIC did reports on Popeye's 90th. Only SIC mentioned the new web series wothout even mentioning its criticism. Both didn't even mention Wimpy. Maybe he merged with Homsar because of a wrench.