Why is Disney Channel so neglectful of their animated shows?

HunterMon17

For over a decade now, Disney Channel has shown favoritism to its live-action shows, and airs its animated shows very little.

Before, it used to be that cartoons primarily got the weekend mornings and afternoons, sitcoms primarily got prime time, late night was mixed with both, and new episodes (both cartoon or sitcom) aired in prime time.

But then in 2008 they started only airing cartoons in late night and gave new episodes crappy weekday afternoon time slots, except for Phineas and Ferb. Then in 2010 they moved new cartoon episodes to prime time, but only aired reruns on Saturday mornings which were dropped in 2014, when they gave all their cartoons away to Disney XD for one-week timed exclusivity. Then in 2016, they started airing their own cartoons in prime time only with no reruns. Then around 2017 they started only having weekend mornings for both new episodes and reruns of cartoons. In 2018, they started doing weekday afternoon new episodes and reruns for certain cartoons, sometimes, but that is incredibly uncommon.

They usually only keep a cartoon airing new episodes in prime time for about half of the first season, and then it gets shafted, with no rerun time slots. Why do they shaft their cartoons like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

creator

My guess is that Hannah Montana made more money than all of Disney's animated series combined and Disney has been desperately attempting to emulate that success ever since. With a few exceptions, Disney's animated series haven't been very popular since the late 80's / early 90's.

HunterMon17

My guess is that Hannah Montana made more money than all of Disney's animated series combined and Disney has been desperately attempting to emulate that success ever since. With a few exceptions, Disney's animated series haven't been very popular since the late 80's / early 90's.
Um, Recess, House of Mouse, Kim Possible, Gargoyles, The Legend of Tarzan, Timon & Pumbaa, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, The Little Mermaid, The Proud Family, American Dragon: Jake Long, The Emperor's New Schoo, Lilo & Stitch: The Series, Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, DuckTales 2017, Big City Greens.

SweetShop209

The cartoons that seem to thrive on the channel are those that are primarily episodic. Phineas And Ferb was at least 95% episodic, and proved to be a big hit for the channel, hence why it aired on both there and Disney XD. The same goes for Big City Greens, which is essentially the new cash cow for how much they air the show on both channels.

HunterMon17

The cartoons that seem to thrive on the channel are those that are primarily episodic. Phineas And Ferb was at least 95% episodic, and proved to be a big hit for the channel, hence why it aired on both there and Disney XD. The same goes for Big City Greens, which is essentially the new cash cow for how much they air the show on both channels.
Most Disney Channel/XD cartoons over the years have been episodic, yes.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Um, Recess, House of Mouse, Kim Possible, Gargoyles, The Legend of Tarzan, Timon & Pumbaa, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, The Little Mermaid, The Proud Family, American Dragon: Jake Long, The Emperor's New Schoo, Lilo & Stitch: The Series, Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, DuckTales 2017, Big City Greens.

While most of those series were popular, I don't think a lot of them were mega hits for Disney in the same vein as something like Hanna Montana. A lot of them do have big followings like Gargoyles and Gravity Falls, but aside from Phineas and Ferb, Kim Possible, DuckTales 2017 and Gravity Falls, I'm not sure how many of these shows would be well known to the general public.

Their live action shows are generally easier to produce than their animated series and they want to find another huge hit like they did with the Hanna Montana and High School Musical franchises. That's why they primarily keep their focus on their live action shows while with few exceptions don't give their animated series as much attention or promotion.

HunterMon17

While most of those series were popular, I don't think a lot of them were mega hits for Disney in the same vein as something like Hanna Montana. A lot of them do have big followings like Gargoyles and Gravity Falls, but aside from Phineas and Ferb, Kim Possible, DuckTales 2017 and Gravity Falls, I'm not sure how many of these shows would be well known to the general public.

Their live action shows are generally easier to produce than their animated series and they want to find another huge hit like they did with the Hanna Montana and High School Musical franchises. That's why they primarily keep their focus on their live action shows while with few exceptions don't give their animated series as much attention or promotion.
That might be true, but they haven't really had any huge hit in the sitcom department in a long time, whereas Gravity Falls, DuckTales, and Big City Greens are all doing fairly well.

Also, why don't Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, or Disney XD shaft animation this way?

Light Lucario

Staff member
That might be true, but they haven't really had any huge hit in the sitcom department in a long time, whereas Gravity Falls, DuckTales, and Big City Greens are all doing fairly well.

Gravity Falls ended years ago and while it was popular, I'm not sure if it was a huge financial hit for the channel. DuckTales is doing fine and probably the most popular currently airing series on the channel. I'm not sure how well Big City Greens is doing. Based on the promotion it gets, I assume that it's doing well enough for the channel at least, but again, I'm not sure if it's a huge financial hit for Disney Channel.

Their sitcoms haven't made a huge splash in the general public for awhile, but some of them have lasted longer and led into spin-off series like with going from Jessie to Bunk'd. That might not be Hanna Montana numbers, but it does show that some of those sitcoms are still doing really well. Andi Mack got a lot of attention, at least online, and the Descendants movies were easily the most popular Disney Channel original movies since High School Musical. They'll keep chasing after more live action properties to become a huge hit because that has worked for them in the past. Even if it takes awhile, they'll probably still find some huge success with a live action property sooner than with most of their animated series.

HunterMon17 said:
Also, why don't Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, or Disney XD shaft animation this way?

Nickelodeon arguably treats their series worse than what Disney Channel does. At least there's a decent chance for a Disney animated series to last for more than one season. Nickelodeon barely does anything with their animated series that aren't Spongebob or The Loud House. They are possibly even more focused on their live action series than Disney Channel is. Cartoon Network usually gives their new shows a decent chance to start with, but they're also a bit more willing to experiment compared to Disney and especially Nickelodeon.

I don't think that there are a lot of animated series exclusive to Disney XD at this point. Most of them have moved to Disney Channel. Given that Pokemon is moving to Netflix next month, that might be a sign of Disney moving further away from Disney XD or just flat out removing it. While I still maintain that they're a better channel than Nicktoons, Disney might not want to put more effort into it now that they have Disney+. Disney Channel is still capable of making hits and I don't think that they'd want to leave basic cable just yet anyway. Disney Junior still covers their preschool audience, but Disney XD might be too obsolete at this point compared to the other channels.

Spacething7474

Crocker and Mr Turner are dating. They told me so.
Minnesota. Or maybe Wisconsin. Or maybe Iowa.
That might be true, but they haven't really had any huge hit in the sitcom department in a long time.
How far back are we talking about? While Hannah Montana probably was their biggest hit, I’m pretty sure Wizards of Waverly Place, The Suite Life on Deck, Good Luck Charlie, Kickin It', Jessie, Austin and Ally, Lab Rats, Liv and Maddie, and BUNK’D did fairly well.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
No, you need to stop. While some of his recent threads did get locked, there wasn't really anything wrong with all of them. If you think something is wrong with a thread, please report it instead of posting to say that.
I can't report a thread that doesn't violate site rules. And it doesn't. But constant negativity is something that is unhealthy and really bums me out. You can bemoan my response to that all you want, but HunterMon17 set the tone in the thread. Don't be shocked by me being sick of it.

If you are telling me that MY complaining about this violates site rules I won't do it anymore. But I'll also think the notion is bogus.

Edit:

I'm done with Anime Superhero for today so I won't be checking back, but in case your response is that me doing that DOES violate site rules, I want to apologize to @HunterMon17 for doing so.

I also want to tell you HunterMon17, that it's okay to post positive threads and it's also okay to be happy and enjoy things. In fact I want that for you. Also, I have noticed that as I have grown older I have personally become more cynical which is probably why I post fewer threads on this website now than back in the day. It's okay to participate in discussions about things without posting the same kinds of things over and over again. I think you'll find people will still listen to what you have to say in threads that you haven't started yourself.

Last edited:

TsWade2

Yeah, I need to stay out this, because I don't want to be negative today. :rolleyes:

ToonsJazzLover

IDK why, but I thought this whole logic of "anything remotely aimed for tween girls = Disney Channel exclusive with the occasionally animation" and "anything remotely animated = aimed at boys and automatically airs more on Disney XD" was no longer a thing. Apparently they haven't learned their lesson with Ducktales and Big Hero 6 being XD exclusive once again. Why it is so hard to air them at a decent slot on DC?

TMC1982

When I poised this particular question on Quora, somebody simply said that I should check out Disney XD if I have it. It shows many of the current and recent animated programs. Some example are Gravity Falls, Big City Greens, Amphibia and Ducktales. The Freeform channel, also owned by Disney, shows a lot of animated feature films.

FTPC

Light Lucario

I have no idea if this thread welcomes, posts Disney X D and Cartoon network
but my only problem is with the two networks, are they show all the anime
early in the morning,

Toonami from 12 to 2:30 am

and I understand why Toonami has to air late

BAKUGAN early on Sunday morning at 6:30 am

and Beyblade Rise and pokemon at 3 am to 4 am
Sunday mornings to Saturday mornings,
Then 7 am to 9:30 am on weekends

why does Disney XD and cartoon network air
BAKUGAN
Beyblade Rise and pokemon
so early in the morning
do they want these shows to die?

because early morning time slots are death to good shows

I am not mad or trying to make people mad I am just confused

Johntoonfan05

When I poised this particular question on Quora, somebody simply said that I should check out Disney XD if I have it. It shows many of the current and recent animated programs. Some example are Gravity Falls, Big City Greens, Amphibia and Ducktales. The Freeform channel, also owned by Disney, shows a lot of animated feature films.

Hmm Interesting maybe this is one of the reasons why Disney Channel has been so Neglectful to their Animated Shows

TheCartoonRailfan

Riding the Rails
At this point, I would say Disney is much better than Nickelodeon and possibly even Cartoon Network with regard to programming line-up. From what I've heard, Milo Murphy's Law, Big City Greens, Amphibia, and The Owl House have become very popular over the past year. They may not be like Gravity Falls and Phineas and Ferb in terms of popularity, but they are still well-liked. At least with Disney, the shows are given a chance unlike Nickelodeon, which is almost nothing but SpongeBob and The Loud House.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Light Lucario

I have no idea if this thread welcomes, posts Disney X D and Cartoon network
but my only problem is with the two networks, are they show all the anime
early in the morning,

Toonami from 12 to 2:30 am

and I understand why Toonami has to air late

BAKUGAN early on Sunday morning at 6:30 am

and Beyblade Rise and pokemon at 3 am to 4 am
Sunday mornings to Saturday mornings,
Then 7 am to 9:30 am on weekends

why does Disney XD and cartoon network air
BAKUGAN
Beyblade Rise and pokemon
so early in the morning
do they want these shows to die?

because early morning time slots are death to good shows

I am not mad or trying to make people mad I am just confused

Honestly, I forgot that Cartoon Network even airs Bakugan, but I also primarily watch the channel through its On Demand section rather than its live schedule at this point. I initially wrote off Disney XD airing reruns of Pokemon that late as just wanting to rework their schedule because of how many kids would be home at this point and while that may still be the case, it also might have been a bigger sign that they weren't interested in Pokemon anymore. It's kind of hard to be upset over that decision when Pokemon will be moving over to Netflix next month. These are third party shows, so channels like Cartoon Network and Disney XD would give more priority to shows that they own completely so that they could make more money off of them.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Check out my sig, would you? I realize at this stage of the game I don't want people to read Gilda & Meek & The Un-Iverse because I want money or fame. I wouldn't have posted 34 free issues on a blog if I did. The Aspie in me simply feels that it's really the only way for another person to fully understand me. That matters to me.

Ever wonder what makes Fone Bone tick? Check out the sig.
Wow! Something was updated to represent a beloved tradition in a sweet way? Oh the HORROR!!! :O :O Hershey's Kisses’ classic Christmas bells ad got a makeover — and people are outraged
DuckTales was canceled? Why is it that despite the fact that I didn't love the show I'm super annoyed anyways?

It turns out I dislike crushing potential as much as I do quality.
The winner of this matchup is "Christmas Greens", which got 2 votes. "Nancy And The Nice List" got 1 vote. The next matchup is Artistic Christmas Specials. It's between the Spongebob episode "It's A Spongebob Christmas" and the Harvey Beaks episode "It's Christmas You Dorks".

A few nights ago, I took some pictures of the early part of the lunar eclipse. Unfortunately, clouds in the sky likely downed a view during the peak (not to mention oversleeping it).