Why is Disney Channel airing cartoon premieres in the daytime instead of in prime time?

Latest News & Videos

HunterMon17

Nov 24, 2015
I would think prime time (7:00-10:00pm) on Fridays and Saturdays would get way better ratings for cartoon premieres. Right now they're airing them either right after school (2:00-4:00pm) on weekdays, or early in the morning (6:30-8:00am) on weekends. Seriously, they air the live-action sitcoms in prime time, why not air the cartoons then as well, instead of at times when everyone's either sleeping or out doing stuff? Back in 2010-2014, cartoon premieres would air Friday nights (9:00-10:00pm), why not go back to that?

Also, why do they barely air repeats for cartoons on Disney Channel? This isn't even a modern Disney Channel thing either, they've had this problem since I was 5, and now I'm about to turn 17. If they can play repeats of live-action shows on the lineup all day, there's no reason they can't do the same for cartoons.

It can't be that kids don't like watching cartoons, or otherwise they'd have stopped making them by now. Do they only like watching the new episodes or something, and are they really watching them in these ridiculous time slots?

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
I'm thinking streaming. More people watch Disney cartoons on Watch Disney Now and other places like iTunes than on tv, and thus feel less of a priority to air cartoons. I'm not saying it's right, but I can understand the reasoning.

HunterMon17

Nov 24, 2015
I'm thinking streaming. More people watch Disney cartoons on Watch Disney Now and other places like iTunes than on tv, and thus feel less of a priority to air cartoons. I'm not saying it's right, but I can understand the reasoning.
So why do they still prioritize live-action shows on live TV if more people are watching streaming services like Disney Now, cause it seems to me like that would work both ways. Plus, it's not like this is new, Disney Channel has been treating cartoons like this ever since 2007, which was way before streaming TV shows became popular.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
I have always wondered why American channels did that anyway... Here premieres are usually from 4pm till 8pm, or on Saturdays and Sundays perhaps between 8am and 11pm. It is very uncommon to see a premiere after 8pm...

Don't premieres get higher ratings at 4pm anyway? Don't parents want to watch something else at 9pm?

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Sep 3, 2013
Well, considering that up until recently, they weren't really airing cartoons on Disney Channel at all, I guess you gotta take what you can get.

Also, they're definitely pushing DisneyNOW, considering episodes are available on there even earlier.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
Plus, with Summer coming, kids will be out, which means higher ratings
I'm not too sure with that. During the 5 Saturdays in July and August when Elena Of The Avalor aired new episodes the same day as Big Hero 6 and Ducktales, the show beat the latter 2 in ratings 4/5 times , despite the former airing on the lesser available Disney Junior channel and the latter 2 airing in the 9am hour, when more kids should be able to see it, though Elena was at 11:30 am.

Radiant97

Azula supremacist
Feb 3, 2018
The Darkest Timeline
I have always wondered why American channels did that anyway... Here premieres are usually from 4pm till 8pm, or on Saturdays and Sundays perhaps between 8am and 11pm. It is very uncommon to see a premiere after 8pm...

Don't premieres get higher ratings at 4pm anyway? Don't parents want to watch something else at 9pm?
This confuses me too. I thought it was weird when CN used to air their comedy premieres on prime time Thursday. Isn't that network TV's prime spot for advertisers?

mqg96

Nov 26, 2014
Like I said before the age of television is dying and the age of streaming shall rise.
This. For the last several years I only remember kids networks premiering new episodes on different days at random time slots. Back in the heyday of cable kid networks when I was in elementary school, new episodes on Fridays during prime time were a big deal and there would always be a lot of effort put into the bumpers and promos to advertise new episodes on Fridays. Done with the whole school week and you're relaxed for the weekend ahead.

Did your parents allow you to watch cartoons in prime time?
My parents didn't allow us to watch shows during the weekdays (Mon-Thu) because of school days, but Fridays, Saturdays, and some Sundays we were free to watch anything at anytime throughout the day. So weekday afternoon lineups after school were pointless for me growing up. Only Friday nights and weekends. Of course seasonal/holiday breaks were a different story.

Streaming IS television, but delivered through the internet.
I think he means broadcast or cable television.

Soon they’ll be pushing Disney+.
Netflix is going to take a big hit once all the Disney and Marvel shows/movies leave for Disney Plus, and for me, Netflix already took a hit because all the DC content left for DC Universe.

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Colorado
I wish I knew why. I wish Disney Channel would either air them a little later in the morning or do what happened when Disney XD tried that model and replay them through the day at various times. I'm glad DXD re-aried Milo Murphy's law at 11et on Saturdays because I wasn't even going to try waking up super early to watch on DC.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I was surprised to find out how many Millennials and Gen Z'ers have heard of The Music Man from 1957. These two groups probably know many old films but just don't talk about them.
We have a tie of 1 vote each. I'll be tiebreaker. TOTS moves to the next round. We start round 3, with the first matchup being between Muppet Babies 2018 and Helpsters .

Great scott! "Back to the Future" was released 35 years ago today.
What's the deal with making all these zombie and Venomzied versions of different Marvel characters? I know why($$$), but still, they probably might frighten some people, I reckon.
After all the fame and glory,
Lord & Miller are finally going back to Clone High