Why is adventure time Cartoon network's most popular show?

Latest News & Videos

Vampire_King

May 2, 2011
hell it's even spawned several toys dvds a video game and two comic books(ongoing and mini series)

you could try to say the same about regular show but it's nowhere near Adventure time's popularity level and it doesn't have much in terms of products(No Toys No Games No Comics maybe a few shirts and bland crap on cartoon network's shop but that's it)

so can anyone explain why is adventure time so freaking popular?

Oct 15, 2009
Virginia
Because its the best CN has to offer good humor, likeable characters, and a great respect for the art of animation. Maybe this is just my opinion but a lot of shows on CN now don't have anything I listed above ( ie. Total Drama, Johnny Test, Annoying orange) but again that's just my two cents.

J. B. Warner

Increasing my wordiness
Nov 20, 2003
Anywhere you're not
Probably because it's got a wider appeal. Kids, teens, and adults all love this show equally. Something like "Regular Show" is a bit more adult-oriented, and I don't know how well it connects with younger kids who aren't aware of that that mid-20s slacker mindset yet. But everyone loves adventure. :)

Kool345

Starting at 8/7c on ABC
Sep 14, 2009
USA
Well lately Regular Show has been more popular than Adventure Time in ratings but merchandise and overall appeal its been Adventure Time.

DuckTwacy

French phone.
Jul 26, 2011
America
To be honest, I can't really see why it's so popular. The problem I have with it is that it has a whole bunch of crazy, "random" characters (as in a kingdom full of anthropomorphic food products), yet it's never that funny to me, and seems to go for more dramatic stories, which doesn't make all that munch sense to me. Putting talking pieces of candy in a dramatic adventures doesn't really work, in my opinion. But to each his own.

TheCtes

Aug 25, 2011
Because its the best CN has to offer good humor, likeable characters, and a great respect for the art of animation. Maybe this is just my opinion but a lot of shows on CN now don't have anything I listed above ( ie. Total Drama, Johnny Test, Annoying orange) but again that's just my two cents.
That's definitely just an opinion considering that TD and JT has been great hits for CN and AO, while it may be early to judge entirely, has done great as well.

hobbyfan

Jun 9, 2002
Troy NY
I think part of Adventure Time's appeal is that its animation style is a homage/throwback to the Golden Age and strips like Little Nemo in Slumberland, but not on the order of that Tom Petty music video from way back (Running Down a Dream). Another part is that it's something different, a think-outside-the-box concept that actually is getting the attention of its target audience, which admittedly is wider than the other 15-minute shows on CN's schedule (Regular Show & Mad).

Like, I can picture the king being in Thimble Theatre, if you get my drift.

Oct 15, 2009
Virginia
TheCtes said:
That's definitely just an opinion considering that TD and JT has been great hits for CN and AO, while it may be early to judge entirely, has done great as well.
Thanks for letting me know that's an opinion pretty sure I made that clear. And also ratings doesn't always equal a quality show heck there's shows like Jersey shore that get great ratings and let's be honest that's the worst TV has to offer. But yes in my opinion TD, JT, and AO are terrible and do nothing to advance progress in animation

Dusty

Superman.
Nov 15, 2003
Metropolis, Earth,
kal-dusty.deviantart.com
While I respect that people like this show... I just don't get why, to me it is like having teeth pulled. No offense intended to anyone, BTW, ;)
Shows like Generator Rex, Symbionic Titan, Regular Show, and Scooby Doo... I can get behind. ;)

D.

mordecai321

Feb 5, 2011
United States
Well yeah but Regular Show is going to become more popular hopefully since it's better than Adventure Time. It's getting toys already has lots of shirts, bracelets, headphones, pins, stickers and such at Hot Topic. The toys are coming in August. Also, JG wants a game and Calvin Wong has confirmed there are plans for comics.

Splufay

Jun 12, 2012
Well yeah but Regular Show is going to become more popular hopefully since it's better than Adventure Time.
That's heavily opinionated, and with my opinion I have to say that Regular Show is losing it's steam lately to me, while Adventure Time has been getting better. (However the past two Regular Show episodes are pretty good.)

As for why everyone likes Adventure Time, I'd say it's because you get more backstory and drama, and does quite a bit of fan service. I, for one, am not amused by the gender swap crap like Fionna and Cake, or the episodes that focus heavily on relationships, but there is a certain level of intensity you see on this show that you don't see on others like Regular Show. The newest one, for example, "Son of Mars", dealt with some heavy stuff, **SPOILERS** including Jake dying and Abe Lincoln confronting Death to retrieve him. Abe offers his immortality, and the screen fades to white and you hear a gun shot. It was pretty intense. Lately, I've actually felt that Adventure Time is becoming more mature than Regular Show, but that could easily change if Regular Show steps it up.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Apr 23, 2007
In the now, man
animrevelation.web44.net
Well if we're going to pull out the "Adventure Time vs. Regular Show" game, I have to say that neither are really great shows. Both have their merits, but they both pander to the older online audience far too much for my liking, which are problems I also have with MLP and Gravity Falls, series I also enjoy. Regular Show in particular feels like it exists only to create memes, while Adventure Time feels more genuine, which is why I'd give it the edge.

As to why AT is so popular and well-marketed, I think it has more to do with the universe than anything. The artwork is very fresh and inviting, and there's a big enough cast of characters to like and exploit. The show's over reliance on "bro-titude" isn't for everyone as you can tell here, but Finn and Jake's bond is another selling point of the show it seems. Jake's laid-back attitude is an obvious favorite among fans, and for good reason.

c@rt00nguy26

Sep 24, 2010
United States
Well yeah but Regular Show is going to become more popular hopefully since it's better than Adventure Time. It's getting toys already has lots of shirts, bracelets, headphones, pins, stickers and such at Hot Topic. The toys are coming in August. Also, JG wants a game and Calvin Wong has confirmed there are plans for comics.
Adventure Time already has all that merchandise. :p

Splufay

Jun 12, 2012
Regular Show in particular feels like it exists only to create memes, while Adventure Time feels more genuine, which is why I'd give it the edge.
I have never seen a Regular Show meme before, but if we're going to point out which show does more fan service, it's definitely Adventure Time. It seems like Rebecca Sugar just bases all over her episodes on what the fans want. She takes over the romance episodes with Flame Princess, she includes a song in every single freaking episode she writes, she wrote the episode with PB and Marceline hinting at a relationship, she takes Finn's hat off a lot, etc etc. I really don't enjoy her episodes at all, but most of the fanbase seems to.

Kieran Pertnav

Self-confidence!
Aug 31, 2010
Hawaii
Well lately Regular Show has been more popular than Adventure Time in ratings but merchandise and overall appeal its been Adventure Time.
I'm not entirely sure if that's true. We haven't seen any concrete numbers for Adventure Time in quite a while now because it's move to 7:30 has meant that it's not reported by sites that cover 8-11 primetime ratings. From the press-releases and what I've heard on Formspring, AT's ratings are as good as ever, if not better. If anything RS's ratings have risen because it's got AT as a lead-in- perhaps the night hits a high with AT and then drops down throughout the night until hitting a low with MAD.
I have never seen a Regular Show meme before, but if we're going to point out which show does more fan service, it's definitely Adventure Time. It seems like Rebecca Sugar just bases all over her episodes on what the fans want. She takes over the romance episodes with Flame Princess, she includes a song in every single freaking episode she writes, she wrote the episode with PB and Marceline hinting at a relationship, she takes Finn's hat off a lot, etc etc. I really don't enjoy her episodes at all, but most of the fanbase seems to.
I think that's sort of unfair. I am a big Rebecca Sugar fan, but I hate fanservice, shipping and the like. Rebecca definitely seems to respond more to the internet feedback, and they do give her the episodes that are focused more on relationships, and they gave her Fionna and Cake, but I think this has more to do with her writing style than it does with fanservice. Her first episode was "Return to the Nightosphere" and it featured a character-driven story between a male and a female character, a song that she had written and lots of great humor. Those became her specialities, but they were there from the beginning. I think part of the reason they give her a lot of the relationship-centric episodes is because she's one of the few female storyboard artists, so she's able to write better for the female characters, and has been responsible for making them more three-dimensional.
I think the idea that "What Was Missing" hints at a Marceline/PB ship is one of the dumbest things ever. The only reason people ever considered it really was because of the behind-the-scenes video that was designed to stoke fan reaction, and which was made by FREDERATOR without the involvement of Sugar or anyone else on the AT crew. They gave the episode to Sugar probably because it focused on two female characters and had music as a cornerstone, both of which are strong points in her talent.

As for the popularity of Adventure Time, a lot of the internet and merchandise based stuff has to do with the internet. It helped that its pilot was a viral video for years before it got picked up to series. However, unlike other viral videos, the AT pilot was actually intended for TV, so its transition to television was successful, and it had a built-in fanbase from the start, something very few of CN's original shows have had. Then, the unprecedented fan-crew interaction through the Frederator blog and through Formspring and Tumblr have kept adult fans involved. It has the subversive humor and mature jokes to secure an adult following.

However, AT's key demo is kids/boys 6-11, people who aren't really affected by this stuff. The Kid President interview with Pen Ward pretty much captures why it's able to appeal to kids so well.
[video=youtube;uiEgOaThB_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiEgOaThB_E&feature=player_embedded[/video]
It has an unabashed, uncynical sense of magic and wonder that's hard to find in TV shows these days. It's bright, whimsical, and shamelessly silly, which are all things that appeal to kids. It's a true cartoon, with visual jokes, funny dialog and just about everything a kid could want. It's no surprise that it's such a hit.

Angilasman

Dec 29, 2007
Alabama
Adventure Time just has so many things going for it: it's incredibly imaginative and distinctive, and no matter how weird things get it's always anchored by the character relationships. Really, despite all the magic and adventures it's a show about these characters and their relationships with each other - and what great characters they are!

It strikes a great balance between being for kids (or kids at heart) and being for adults. I'm often surprised by how sophisticated the show is, something it shares with the other cartoon shows that rank near the top of my personal favorites list, like Dexter's Lab, Freakazoid, and Rocky and Bullwinkle.

King9

Embraced One
Jun 3, 2011
'Down There'
For my part I love Adventure Time for the heavily Dungeons-and-Dragons-infused mythology and the touching and deep moments. So much charm, so much humor. It's a great show through and through.

First I am a D&D man myself so I can really, really appreciate the impossibly huge number of characters, locales, monsters, and dieties in Adventure Time. It's also post-apocalyptic which brings everything a little closer to home. Even in a 'boring' Adventure Time episode you'll have a new critter or rule of Ooo that we learn. It's engrossing and awesome.

I think what makes AT so emotionally potent is how disarming it is. One wouldn't expect a crazy bright cartoon to be so deep. But then moments like the end of Beautopia come around and I for one was blown away by the level of maturity that was on display. Or more recently Princess Cookie. Adventure Time is mature in a way that no other cartoons (that I've seen) can match, and yet AT it approachable to a younger crowd too.

Splufay

Jun 12, 2012
I think that's sort of unfair. I am a big Rebecca Sugar fan, but I hate fanservice, shipping and the like. Rebecca definitely seems to respond more to the internet feedback, and they do give her the episodes that are focused more on relationships, and they gave her Fionna and Cake, but I think this has more to do with her writing style than it does with fanservice. Her first episode was "Return to the Nightosphere" and it featured a character-driven story between a male and a female character, a song that she had written and lots of great humor. Those became her specialities, but they were there from the beginning. I think part of the reason they give her a lot of the relationship-centric episodes is because she's one of the few female storyboard artists, so she's able to write better for the female characters, and has been responsible for making them more three-dimensional.
I think the idea that "What Was Missing" hints at a Marceline/PB ship is one of the dumbest things ever. The only reason people ever considered it really was because of the behind-the-scenes video that was designed to stoke fan reaction, and which was made by FREDERATOR without the involvement of Sugar or anyone else on the AT crew. They gave the episode to Sugar probably because it focused on two female characters and had music as a cornerstone, both of which are strong points in her talent.
You're right, I was being unfair. She doesn't get to call the shots on whether or not she gets the episodes that deal with what a lot of the fans want to see. I just don't enjoy the way she handles them. When she tries to create emotional moments on the show, for me, they just don't work. A lot of people point to the end of "Susan Strong" and "Beautopia" as being some of the most emotional moments from the show, but when I first watched the episodes, neither of the moments hit it off for me. I'm not the kind of person who doesn't enjoy having emotion in the show either, cause I truly do. The ending of "Princess Cookie" ALMOST got a tear in my eye, and I really love the ending of "Thank You". I also cannot stand her songs. Every season 3 episode she worked on she included a song, and a lot of times the characters end up going off the rhythm which I suppose adds to the humor for some, but just makes the musical numbers even harder for me to bear through. In the end though, a lot of people seem to enjoy her episodes which is good because she pops up pretty often storyboarding the episodes, so they get some enjoyment. I just enjoy other storyboarders more, specifically Jesse Moynihan.
I really enjoyed her work in season 2, though. She was easily one of the best writers for me back then, but season 3 I feel like she definitely changed her style, which of course appealed even more to many people. Season 3 was the worst season anyways, in my opinion. I feel like season 4 is pulling off the deeper stories like season 3 did, only more interesting and with more humor.

Kieran Pertnav

Self-confidence!
Aug 31, 2010
Hawaii
You're right, I was being unfair. She doesn't get to call the shots on whether or not she gets the episodes that deal with what a lot of the fans want to see. I just don't enjoy the way she handles them. When she tries to create emotional moments on the show, for me, they just don't work. A lot of people point to the end of "Susan Strong" and "Beautopia" as being some of the most emotional moments from the show, but when I first watched the episodes, neither of the moments hit it off for me. I'm not the kind of person who doesn't enjoy having emotion in the show either, cause I truly do. The ending of "Princess Cookie" ALMOST got a tear in my eye, and I really love the ending of "Thank You". I also cannot stand her songs. Every season 3 episode she worked on she included a song, and a lot of times the characters end up going off the rhythm which I suppose adds to the humor for some, but just makes the musical numbers even harder for me to bear through. In the end though, a lot of people seem to enjoy her episodes which is good because she pops up pretty often storyboarding the episodes, so they get some enjoyment. I just enjoy other storyboarders more, specifically Jesse Moynihan.
I really enjoyed her work in season 2, though. She was easily one of the best writers for me back then, but season 3 I feel like she definitely changed her style, which of course appealed even more to many people. Season 3 was the worst season anyways, in my opinion. I feel like season 4 is pulling off the deeper stories like season 3 did, only more interesting and with more humor.
I'm not surprised that you like Jesse Moynihan- his episodes are some of my favorites as well. "Too Young" is one of my favorites, and I think it has the most emotional depth of any episode that the series has done. Tom Herpich has been described as sentimental on Formspring, and Thank You and Princess Cookie are his- Princess Cookie is my favorite episode of season 4.

I'm not a big fan of Susan Strong as a character, but that's not to say that Rebecca Sugar isn't capable of emotional moments. While I think her earlier episodes are bolstered by Adam Muto's fantastic and underrated sense of humor, I think that the ending of "Hot To The Touch" is a great character moment. Finn has a human moment in an extremely supernatural world where he has to wonder why he can't just like a regular girl. I really felt for him in that moment, and I thought it was really true to who he is. I think the songs are hit and miss. Even in the Flame Princess two-parter, I felt like the first song didn't really hit, and neither did Neptr's rap, but I thought Jake's version of the song which he sang to Flame King was hilarious and very catchy.

Bringing this all back in on topic, the fact that a cartoon series can create this level of depth and complexity in its character storylines is another reason it's become something of a CN classic.

Master Toon

Aug 12, 2007
USA
I can see why it's popular. Even though I no longer watch it, has (or rather had) good animation and it appeals to kids and adults who are kids on the inside. However it's kinda becoming like a mini-Spongebob because most of the newer episodes have horrible animation and aren't as good as the earlier episodes but it still gets good ratings. I just avoid it and watch other stuff. I don't really mind if it's popular or not.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Matt Vogel's podcast sounds like a lot of fun just from this sound clip.

Marge Simpson is trending on Twitter. I won't say why, though.
I wonder if the mid 30's Fleischer cartoons with the 3d backgrounds with 2d characters was an inspiration for Paper Mario

Here's a teaser that announces Mulan (2020) coming to Disney+ next month .
Given how Jason J. Lewis loves Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm, he must've been really excited getting to work with Kevin Conroy on Justice League Action.