Why I love Scrappy

Latest News

CoolCaper

Jul 10, 2016
Ratings
Lately I've been seeing a lot of discussions about Scrappy. They talk about how he "could've" worked or "what went wrong" but I think that lately what's being neglected is what went right. Scrappy, as a character, was not well recieved inititially by merely having "Untapped potential" (though he does) or by nearly going right. To me, at least, Scrappy is lovable as he is, and I guess I've been wanting to say why I love Scrappy.
He's brave.
I guess this one's obvious. Anyone can see from a mile away that this is one really courageous puppy. Some people liked that, others didn't. I was one of the ones who did.
I loved Scrappy's bravery because when I first saw Scrappy...I wasn't brave. I was a small child, afraid of shots, huge roller coasters, the dark, "Haunted" houses at harvest festivals, bullies, pranks, you name it, I was afraid of it. I was even afraid to watch Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf, where I first saw Scrappy ever. But I'm sure glad I did. I knew what bravery was. There were peers of mine who were "brave", begging to go on the biggest, scariest roller coasters they could find, craving the most spine tingling "Haunted house" they could find tickets for, lived for heart-pounding practical jokes. I knew what bravery was, or at least I thought I did. But when I saw Scrappy, being so confident and brave in ways I could only dream of being, something in me just melted. Suddenly I didn't feel afraid of the movie anymore, because on the other side of the screen there was someone else looking out for everyone. Looking back, maybe it wasn't just that Scrappy was being brave, but that he wasn't just being daring for the rush of it, but in standing up for his friends and family. I know Scrappy does like being a dare devil, but you watch Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf, and you tell me if that was true bravery or not, standing up for Shaggy and Scooby and Googie and saving the first two from the schlock-ness monster and what not. By the end of the movie, when Scrappy and Googie's lives were in danger, Scrappy, having won me over, had me on the edge of my seat, begging the movie to let him survive the lava. Now that I'm older, I know it seems obvious that Scrappy and Googie, being main characters, were both going to make it, but at age 8, you just don't know that sort of thing yet. It was also one of the first times I can recall being frightened for a fictional character's life.
Scrappy's bravery won me over because it was truly amazing for me, as a little kid, especially a kid with zero of that kind of bravery, to see.
He is kind.
I don't see much of this being remembered either, most people recall Scrappy as an insensitive, arrogant, or jerkish, or as evil. The second one can be attributed to the live-action movie, obviously. People believe Scrappy to be this way, believing him to be arrogant for him considering himself able to take down considerably larger monsters or insensitive for dragging Shaggy and Scooby off on adventures. What I have to say to that is, while Scrappy was pretty oblivious to how Shaggy and Scooby felt to his ideas of "adventures", and that must have been a turn off for people, I always forgave that, partly because he was, well, oblivious to how they felt. He wasn't trying to be malicious, ever, and, well, if you watch enough of the series it becomes rather obvious Scrappy doesn't have a cruel bone in his body. True, one of his defining characteristics is liking to fight, but if you'll pay closer attention you'll notice that very rarely is it Scrappy who starts the fight. He also is not particularly vicious in these fights, holding back a lot even though he has enough power to crush a rock. And black or white or alien or dragon or human, as long as you weren't hostile, Scrappy would never be hostile to you. The Scrappy I remember was impulsive, oblivious, and yes, sometimes insensitive, but he was also happy, laid back, loyal, and openhearted. It never struck me that Scrappy was being arrogant either, because there were times he could handle the monsters. The fact he never really brought attention to such times, especially when he was being underestimated by his friends later, always struck me as quite humble.
He grew and changed as a character.
I loved Scrappy at all stages of his run in the franchise. I know a lot of people like his "mature" self, but there's more to Scrappy then that. If there weren't he wouldn't be half as good, in my opinion. But I liked how he changed. Scrappy grew, and has he grew his kindness and immunity to the limelight, began to grow and shine through. In a time when character developement was not priority, Scrappy, whether it was intentional or not, grew. The one thing that stayed the same was his love for Scooby, and it showed in different ways. In the beginning, he showed by praising Scooby's bravery and praising him for saving the day, even when he didn't, and then misguided attempts to share fun with him, and then, as he began to accept Scooby wasn't brave and infallible, finally beginning to just help Scooby in anyway possible.
Some people bash Scrappy because they don't consider him very "dog like" But bravery, loyalty, compassion, and optimism seem dog-like to me. In the best kind of way.

superdude

king of cool
Mar 6, 2016
Ratings
That's cool, I've always thought Scrappy got a bad rap. I think the main negative thing about him is he would do better in small doses.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

M622 wrote on Mandouga's profile.
You are a conspiracy theorist. you don't know jack about anything, like cartoon network's "Random programming decisions".
Keinichi Hamada (or whatever his name is spelled) from NHK World sounds like a Japanese equivalent of that guy from the Kingdouble Ceramic Knives infomercial
All right! Profile posts are back! Now what was I talking about?
Alright, @RandomMe. I'll bite. What's DC PT?
It's a shame that while you Americans keep age-old televised Halloween traditions, here in Portugal they have since been abnegated (I'm talking to you, DC PT).