Why exactly have Marvel never made a movie about Squirrel Girl?

LoudyKaizoku

Bread Makes You Fat?
I mean, it makes logical sense. Squirrel Girl is quite the fan-favorite, and a movie seems like a no-brainer. Plus, she could be a safer, more family-friendly alternative to Deadpool.

With all these factors, why exactly has Marvel never made a movie about her?

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Probably because Squirrel Girl is one of those characters who for awhile was more attached to a related TV series that we are only as of last year finally untangling and seeing those characters back in the MCU proper. Though with Squirrel Girl that was from a TV show that never got off the ground. See in 2016 the idea was floated around of making a new Warriors TV show for Freeform that actually got pretty far. To the point of not only hiring a crew and cast but even shooting a pilot for it with Milana Vayntrub playing Doreen Green. However the pilot never went anywhere due to Freeform not having room for it on the network and it not getting any play on other Disney owned networks and by that point most of the dealings with any live action series were unfolded anyway due to the desire to focus just on MCU shows being made for Disney plus not other avenues. Thus yeah that pilot never aired and though Milana did wind up playing Squirrel Girl on the Marvel Rising animated features/series nothing else has happened with the character.

Kevin Feige did reveal he is working on plans with characters for the next 10 years so I imagine due to Squirrel Girl's poularity she'll pop into some of those plans down the line but yeah "she was going to be part of a TV series that never got made" is the reason we haven't seen anything from her in the MCU. Especially since like yeah NOW it would make sense to make a Squirel Girl movie but you wouldn't get that kind of mentality even working on phase 3 or even early phase 4 but yeah think now we've proven the MCU most seemingly insane ideas from the comics can make the jump to the big screen.

the greenman

I know it's controversial to bring up, but I feel like it's political. A lot of things the studios do are politics based, in order to get the masses on board with.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

ShadowBlinky

I know it's controversial to bring up, but I feel like it's political. A lot of things the studios do are politics based, in order to get the masses on board with.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
I guess squirrels can be rather polarizing. :)

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I'm with you LoudyKing101! I already laid out the reason why Squirrel Girl hasn't been in the movies yet and quite honestly the only politics I can think of that may of stopped her from being in the movies before (besides the politics of how the TV shows and movie divisions were different a couple of years back before all the shows were folded under Disney plus under Feige) was that technically, Doreen is a mutant, at least in the comics. Which yeah may of been more difficult since though not an X-Men there could of been weird legal technicalities with that we don't know about. Still that would of been it and now I think the only thing stopping the character is that Marvel also has plans for dozens upon dozens of other characters and you know having to establish them first before getting to her.

reflection01

I do not see what this has to do with Squirrel Girl.

Same. I also don’t see what “the masses” have to do with getting or not getting Squirrel Girl. Marvel Studios has no problem introducing characters the masses don’t know.

Looking back, it’s fine the Freeform show didn’t happen since they moved away from that format. There are plenty of Disney+ shows coming up so there may not be room there. Have any of you listened to the scripted podcast yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Squirrel Girl isn't that kind of priority. Yes, the witch lady from WandaVision is getting her own show...but we still have a ways to go before much of the tv-first/in-production Jeph Loeb stuff get rebooted for streaming or the big screen let alone the MCU's version of mutants.

What even would be her debut? A Deadpool sequel?

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts