Why don't they make cartoons with talking animals anymore?

CyberCubed

So I've been thinking back to the cartoons of my childhood, back when cartoons used to be really great, and I realize there aren't that many shows with talking animals anymore.

Not only did we get the great WB shorts like Loony Tunes and all its incarnations, (as well as Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, etc.) but there were also a lot of great action cartoons like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and all its knock-offs.

Is it just me or are there a lot less cartoons about talking animals nowadays?

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I think that there are enough talking animal shows. Recent ones include:

GoGoRiki
Biker Mice from Mars
Sonic X
TMNT
Pat and Stan
Skunk Fu
Viva Pinata
Loonatics Unleashed
Turbo Dogs

And there are others, too.

Bad Asp

Come fly with us!
Which reminds me, someone needs to bring back Sam and Max! They're talking animals, right?

Prof. Mecavio

The New No.2
Which reminds me, someone needs to bring back Sam and Max! They're talking animals, right?

Well, they're a dog and a rabbit (although I think Max refers to himself as a "Lagomorph", whatever that is, in Sam & Max hit the Road) so I'd say they qualify.

NewcomerDC

The subject of having talking animals has been so overdone, that's why most companies are trying to make new shows involving human characters. Plus they're probably trying to avoid a new flurry of furries coming up the pipe in another talking animal series or movie is released.

Dr.Pepper

Spongebob says hi. And don't forget there is Back To the Barnyard and Penguins of Madagascar.

CyberCubed said:
So I've been thinking back to the cartoons of my childhood, back when cartoons used to be really great,
:rolleyes:

Spanish Megatron

Sííííííí
I actually think there needs to be less talking animal shows, or least better variety with them. Almost all of them are comedies. A few more action shows wouldn't hurt.:shrug:

Prdgn

I said, I'm singing a song.
A Usagi Yojimbo cartoon would be a great success I think, but it's never going to happen.

Marvin Tikvah

What makes a talking animal so great anyway? People didn't watch Looney Tunes because of all the animals that acted like humans, they watched it because it was funny.

Master Toon

There are still cartoons with talking animals.

Chowder - Chowder, Panini, Gazpacho and more.

Spongebob - Everyone but Spongebob and his parents.

Phineas and Ferb - Parry the Platypus/Agent P (trust me, he talks through his mind).

Yin Yang Yo! - Everyone with the exception of a few villains.

Back at the Barnyard - Everyone except for the humans.

Penguins of Madagascar - See Back at the Barnyard.

Zam

Let me sleep internet!
Talking animals are actually harder to do, you really need talent on the writing side to pull it right. (see the staff of Animaniacs/TT or Garfield) Unfortunately teen characters done in flash is faster and cheaper to do.

Altough they´re dominating CGI movies, guess they think kids will like them better if they see it as a moving talking plushies.

And no, I don´t think Furries scare producers, they are just a little obscure fandom.

zoombie

Except for Family Guy and American Dad which in both cases it is not a main focus, you don't see too many cartoons in which talking animals and humans live in the same world, the animals and humans talk to each other and it is not that big of a deal. Like the old Looney Toons, the early Hanna Barbara cartoons like Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear.

Jayd

About Spongebob. Isn't a sponge considered an animal? And what about talking fruit like Coconut Fred?

Anyway, I wish there were more funny animal characters like there was in the past. But barnyard doesn't do it for me, with the male cow having an udder. It's like having a rooster lay eggs.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts