Why don't they make an adult Marvel animation (not like xxx)

Hisems

I am pretty sure I am right in thinking there isn't one (if there is please let me know) but why don't Marvel make a adult animation! they must know it would do insanely well! it isn't really a niche market either so it can't be about sales?

What adult storylines would you guys like to see?

bigdaddy313

I am pretty sure I am right in thinking there isn't one (if there is please let me know) but why don't Marvel make a adult animation! they must know it would do insanely well! it isn't really a niche market either so it can't be about sales?

Enemy of the state story arc of Wolverine that was written by Mark Miller.

SweetShop209

There's that upcoming MODOK cartoon for Hulu. Besides that, there's the PG-13 movies that came out between 2006-2011 (the one exception in this timeframe is the PG rated Avengers: Heroes Of Tomorrow).

Hisems

There's that upcoming MODOK cartoon for Hulu. Besides that, there's the PG-13 movies that came out between 2006-2011 (the one exception in this timeframe is the PG rated Avengers: Heroes Of Tomorrow).
is that going to be for 15 plus though? I saw the Harley cartoon and that had really good potential!

I'm just a bit sick of the whole made for all ages, good story lines but still gotta be kid friendly

SweetShop209

is that going to be for 15 plus though? I saw the Harley cartoon and that had really good potential!

I'm just a bit sick of the whole made for all ages, good story lines but still gotta be kid friendly
I believe the cartoon is rated TV-MA.

Frontier

Staff member
I think it's a mix of the last of the animated DTV's with Lionsgate, which were a little more mature in content, not doing amazing numbers and Marvel and Disney feeling that animation should be strictly aimed at younger audiences, which is probably why they canceled so many animated shows that would've been aimed at older audiences (Deadpool, all the Hulu shows except MODOK and Hit-Monkey).

RoryWilliams

Adult animation that's not comedy is absolutely thought of as a niche market in America. There have been some exceptions helping change things like Castlevania and Season 3 of Young Justice, but those are very much the minority right now.

Maybe if MODOK is a hit it'll change things a bit.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm expecting What If to be no less than TV-PG and probably within the maturity level of something like Clone Wars, when it comes to handling death and similar content.

I'm still very disappointed that they gave up on Deadpool completely after the creative differences. I wasn't super into the ideas behind the Offenders show but I was interested in seeing what they do with Howard the Duck. MODOK has my interest right now, and it is a shame that things went how they did.

Watching the Brute Force pitch from the 616 episode has me wondering if any pitches could actually be taking place.

It seems as though Sony has control of most of the previous "mature" series with Spider-Man The New Animated Series and the four Marvel Anime series (and movies). Lionsgate has the PG-13 movie line. The only older show that Disney has in their library is Black Panther, the limitedly animated anomaly that was the only survivor of BETs failed animation launch.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The Overlord

Adult animation that's not comedy is absolutely thought of as a niche market in America. There have been some exceptions helping change things like Castlevania and Season 3 of Young Justice, but those are very much the minority right now.

Maybe if MODOK is a hit it'll change things a bit.

Well with the pandemic raging, animation is a way to produce content when you cannot have actors shoot on location anymore, so there still could be some more animated content aimed at adults in the near future due to the current situation.

We still don't know what What If is going to look like.
Well, there's going to be a Marvel Zombies episode, so I'm kind of wondering how horror they're going to get with that one :eek:.

The What if comics were interesting because they could go from silly to super dark based on the subject matter of the comic in question, so it could get dark.

Hisems

Sadly I don't think they will be able to do that as they know kids will be watching all of them...so I feel all of them will be very kid friendly, with light adult humour

Frontier

Staff member
Sadly I don't think they will be able to do that as they know kids will be watching all of them...so I feel all of them will be very kid friendly, with light adult humour
To be honest, I could live with quality all ages animation that doesn't talk down to their audience at the very least :).

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
It seems DC is more progressive in this. As for Marvel, it's a shame. They have so many mature dark characters and villains, just look at that list! They could choose from tens of them even without Venom, Carnage, Deadpool, Thanos, Loki, Red Skull. It can be done. One movie a year is not much to ask... Marvel Characters, Super Heroes, & Villains List | Marvel

Frontier

Staff member
I'll take mature all-ages stuff (e.g. Mask of the Phantasm) over adult (e.g. Batman and Harley Quinn) every day.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Well, definitely if they do end up doing more older leaning stuff, I hope they do it intelligently and appropriately :sweat:.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
I always wanted to see Kraven's Last Hunt as an animated movie.

Sony is the only entity that can will a Spidey animated film into existence, meaning for the big screen or DVD/streaming. Even though Marvel has the animation rights for Spidey they can't just make animated movies of him/or have him appear in any for DVD/streaming. I'm sure Marvel has to sign off on anything Sony wants to do so I wonder if that's why we haven't seen them try and make any DVD/streaming animated movies, or if they just never have wanted to. Regardless I think it seems like a missed avenue for Sony all these years.

After the Lionsgate stuff Marvel on their own didn't seem to be much interested in doing any animated movies aside from the odd special here and there (the Hulk Halloween themed special was a tiny bit edgier than the shows of the last decade but not much, and there was the Marvel Superheroes Christmas special, not really movies or animated movie length per say even).

There were those godawful kiddy CGI Marvel team up movies around 2013, the one with Hulk and Iron Man, and Iron Man and Captain America. That was the best they could do lol.

I wish Marvel would put more stock in the animation department, if they did some slick animated adaptations of some of their popular stories I bet it would get more people interested in checking out comics they're based on than the live action movies do. Being more attached to Marvel characters I envy the hardcore DC peeps cause at least DC has pretty much anchored their animated film side on adapting popular collected stories. It's really not a bad idea, just put in the work and do it right and it'd be another area Marvel could rake in the dough. Instead so far the impression I get is all the money seems to be going to further riding the MCU wave with What If? I get that the MCU is a big cultural phenomenon and money machine but I don't think it's good in the long term if everything Marvel here on out is just trying to look and feel like the movies. :sweat:

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
After the Lionsgate stuff Marvel on their own didn't seem to be much interested in doing any animated movies aside from the odd special here and there (the Hulk Halloween themed special was a tiny bit edgier than the shows of the last decade but not much, and there was the Marvel Superheroes Christmas special, not really movies or animated movie length per say even).
I remember them comparing that Hulk movie to Killing Joke. That was kind of funny :p.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Due to factors of comics for decades being seen more for children, and animation being something more expensive to generally produce especially for high quality action kind of content, it's not really a surprise it took ages for there to be more adult or mature content animated shows or specials especially from the big 2. Like yeah Image was able to experiment and dip it's toes into the water first with that sort of thing actually in the 90's with the Spawn series and The Maxx shorts on MTV but yeah that would only be a thing DC and Marvel would get around to in the 2000s. Marvel actually did beat DC to the punch with the MTV Spider Man animated series since due to how successful the 2002 Sony Spider Man movie was Sony wanted to capitalize on that and since the movie was PG-13 could get away with a riskier kind of show that showed a bit more death and violence and swearing then you could previously get. Of course that show didn't really get popular enough for a second season but the idea of putting on more risque animated material did become more of a thing. Especially become of the home video DVD market really booming thus why Marvel and DC tried tapping that in the later 2000s. DC obviously is the winner in that regard still coming out with more mature PG-13 to R rated animated fare but Marvel did beat them to the punch with the Ultimate Avengers movies which did well and had a few solid follow ups but yeah once the Disney merger officially went through there wasn't really a point of a partnership with Lionsgate so that line of movies was shut down and honestly Disney itself wasn't really in the market for doing more adult oriented animated fare. In fact Jeph Loeb once he took more reigns over the animated Marvel deopartment at Disney really wanted to just focus on pandering kids action show without as much of the depth or character writing even of the more family friends animated series like Spectaular Spider Man or Avengers Earth's Mightest Heroes. Thus why we got Ultimate Spider Man and Avengers Assemble and the only adult animated marvel fare you got in the earlier 2010's was an occassional special here and there and a few anime series that never went anywhere.

Eventually there was a plan to launch out more adult animated products as yeah Hulu WAS going to launch a line of animated series that all connected together that were all going to be various kinds of adult animated comedy series. Which yeah never came into fruition. Which unlike say that Deadpool show that never got off the ground wasn't just due to not being able to gather a steady enough team together to work on the show but rather Loeb stepping away from working more on Marvel properties and Kevin Feige wanting to cancel pretty much every marvel or series film not tied directly to the MCU to focus the brand and letting the ones that were still in some form of production play before they ultimately ended. Thus why only MODOK moved forward because the others were not enough in production so they could just be easily cancelled while MODOK will have it's season and be forgotten about like Helstorm.

That's not to say adult or more mature animated series or films are totally off the market. Marvel's What if Will likely be of the same rating as the other MCU shows and movies as it connects directly to that franchise so you know still PG-13 animated TV fare. Plus after how well Spider Verse did Sony's side of Spider Man marvel will continue pushing out products for all ages with an edge probably more to adults then just kids so yeah we're still getting some content out even if it's not as much as DC is doing.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts