Why does TV Tropes hate wacky humor in cartoons?

Latest News & Videos

powerjake

Aug 4, 2019
Mexico
TV Tropes is very infamous for having elitist no fun allowed people that just flatout hate humor. everytime a wacky cartoon has a wacky non-sense jokes they have a bad habit of calling it a "Big-Lipped Alligator Moment", they have the nerve to make big rants about the joke saying it has nothing to do with the story and its not story heavy like Game of Thrones. does not help they hate on the cartoon creators for the joke.

Lisa Simpson once said "Oh Bart, cartoons don’t have to be 100% realistic"

Joker once said this to Harley: Except you had to *explain* it to me! If you have to explain a joke, THERE IS NO JOKE!

I've never understood why TV Tropes members are so offended by jokes of wacky cartoon comedies?.

Examples of wacky shows they bash for not making sense with jokes that they slam with using "Big-Lipped Alligator Moment".

Adventure Time
Family Guy
South Park
Rick and Morty
2 Stupid Dogs
Celebrity Deathmatch
Over the Garden Wall

TV Tropes is so negative, toxic, and they just hate the thought of fun imaginations.

Reactions: Zanneck

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
TV Tropes is very infamous for having elitist no fun allowed people that just flatout hate humor. everytime a wacky cartoon has a wacky non-sense jokes they have a bad habit of calling it a "Big-Lipped Alligator Moment", they have the nerve to make big rants about the joke saying it has nothing to do with the story and its not story heavy like Game of Thrones. does not help they hate on the cartoon creators for the joke.

Lisa Simpson once said "Oh Bart, cartoons don’t have to be 100% realistic"

Joker once said this to Harley: Except you had to *explain* it to me! If you have to explain a joke, THERE IS NO JOKE!

I've never understood why TV Tropes members are so offended by jokes of wacky cartoon comedies?.

Examples of wacky shows they bash for not making sense with jokes that they slam with using "Big-Lipped Alligator Moment".

Adventure Time
Family Guy
South Park
Rick and Morty
2 Stupid Dogs
Celebrity Deathmatch
Over the Garden Wall

TV Tropes is so negative, toxic, and they just hate the thought of fun imaginations.
That's only part of why I'm not on there, anymore. And don't think these hypocrites are the same way to anime, either - in fact, they think copying anime tropes == better humor.

It's beyond sad/pathetic and rather stupid (FACT) how their hypocrisy is, believing that if we mimic everything Japan does, for example, our medium will somehow get better. It'll only get worse, due to lack of an actual identity American cartoons at least used to be known for having, honestly.

Then again, we're talking about a place where "tropes == cliches == negatives that drag shows down, due to lack of originality", or some crap like that when it comes to cartoons. Yet, it's A-OK how many hundreds and thousands of HIGHLY UNORIGINAL anime and whatever else are out there to them that do little to elevate these said mediums in a positive light worse than American cartoons do in general... All because at least the art's pretty to these people and not much else to back up most of their non-arguments in this specific case. UGH...

Hypocrites - sad and miserable hypocrites, the whole lot of them. It's just as bad, if not worse, than 4chan and their ilk have always been, admittedly enough. No fun, no imagination, no actual creativity, skill, or will to have these things required to make anything of worth, really.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
I don't think you understand the point of TV tropes. There are no tropes that are inherently considered good or bad, it's all up to the writer to make something good.

This is stressed here, I recommend you to take a look:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I don't think you understand the point of TV tropes. There are no tropes that are inherently considered good or bad, it's all up to the writer to make something good.

Yeah, TV tropes isn't slamming things when it calls attention to a trope. It isn't a negative site at all. It's a neutral one. I also find it quite useful.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA

Yeah, TV tropes isn't slamming things when it calls attention to a trope. It isn't a negative site at all. It's a neutral one. I also find it quite useful.
Apologies if any of these were aimed at me or otherwise. I understand 100% exactly what TV Tropes is for and know for a doggone FACT that a trope can only be considered a problem if the media in question uses it badly/ineffectively and/or carelessly/senselessly. To be fair, I know I tend to go off hard on shows that have predictable episode setups/plots, but that has never stopped me from eventually managing to like a show when it does things right, despite numerous tropes here and there I don't always agree with, honestly.

The real reason for my anger in my earlier post is more directed at the toxicity of the forums on TV Tropes. They're just as bad as 4chan, albeit with slightly more constraint not to curse out people without reason nor meaning and/or tell people they have bad taste for not liking/disliking something that they do and whatever else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fone Bone

TheCartoonRailfan

Riding the Rails
Aug 12, 2019
Florida
I happen to be a regular viewer at TV Tropes, but I'm not a forum member there. A trope is simply defined as a writing device that writers incorporate into the shows or anything else. One reason I love viewing TV Tropes is that it covers just about everything, not just animated shows.

TV Tropes is another one of those websites that sucks you in, and you could spend days viewing all the tropes and their respective examples.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Given that I'm a user on TV Tropes, I wouldn't say they hate wacky humor in cartoons at all and those type of users you mentioned do not represent the majority for it.
Like I said, excuse me - and that is good to hear about people having some respect for slapstick/screwball comedy, otherwise. Not enough people respect either anymore. I think that stinks as an undying fan of both when it's done right, admittedly enough.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I happen to be a regular viewer at TV Tropes, but I'm not a forum member there. A trope is simply defined as a writing device that writers incorporate into the shows or anything else. One reason I love viewing TV Tropes is that it covers just about everything, not just animated shows.

TV Tropes is another one of those websites that sucks you in, and you could spend days viewing all the tropes and their respective examples.
The reason I am so hesitant to click on links to TV Tropes is because I inevitably find myself spending all day at the website. I learn so much about writing from it.

powerjake

Aug 4, 2019
Mexico
That's only part of why I'm not on there, anymore. And don't think these hypocrites are the same way to anime, either - in fact, they think copying anime tropes == better humor.

It's beyond sad/pathetic and rather stupid (FACT) how their hypocrisy is, believing that if we mimic everything Japan does, for example, our medium will somehow get better. It'll only get worse, due to lack of an actual identity American cartoons at least used to be known for having, honestly.

Then again, we're talking about a place where "tropes == cliches == negatives that drag shows down, due to lack of originality", or some crap like that when it comes to cartoons. Yet, it's A-OK how many hundreds and thousands of HIGHLY UNORIGINAL anime and whatever else are out there to them that do little to elevate these said mediums in a positive light worse than American cartoons do in general... All because at least the art's pretty to these people and not much else to back up most of their non-arguments in this specific case. UGH...

Hypocrites - sad and miserable hypocrites, the whole lot of them. It's just as bad, if not worse, than 4chan and their ilk have always been, admittedly enough. No fun, no imagination, no actual creativity, skill, or will to have these things required to make anything of worth, really.
Its like TV Tropes is a 4Chan 2.0, What makes it even worse about that website is how they over analyze things to extreme levels and waste so much brain power, They just can't be trusted.

Reactions: Zanneck