Why do International Cartoon Network's treat their schedules better?

Latest News & Videos

Eldorado

Compare the schedule of OUR Cartoon Network to the schedules of Cartoon Network's in other countries. I mean, Latin America CN has classic shows and a huge variety and NO Adult Swim. Why can't out Cartoon Network be more like that?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Who knows. Perhaps they want to attract viewers. Go figure!

AFAIK, there aren't that many episodes available on the international CN app, so they have to rerun every show properly for those who missed an episode, or those who are new to the world of CN.

RandomMe

Bloo
Tastes change from region to region, for what I know, and obviously most foreign feeds tend to have more variety.
How is no Adult Swim a good thing?
Lousy regulations. I recall that Chile's VTR had issues with CN and AS that they had to drop it.

RegularCapital

There's multiple reasons:

1. As RandomMe said, tastes vary from country to country, region to region, some will like nearly all of CN's output or very little. Thankfully, CN performs well internationally outpacing Nick and Disney.

2. Linear Television is still popular and Cord Cutting is less of an issue in other countries. CN in other countries don't have to worry as much as the US as cord cutting is less of an issue. Unlike the U.S. In a lot of countries there's a large free TV offering which means pay-TV uptake is much less so than the U.S., media companies just accept that this is the case and don't see it as much as a threat and its steadily growing and not declining. In the U.S., the terrible scheduling is a knee jerk reaction to a declining audience, which leads to channels catering on what shows "everyone" (as in their core audience) wants to see. Pay-TV operators have also recognised that services such as Netflix have a place and made them accessible on their services.

3. Not all countries have an CN App, Australia does and so does Boing in Spain, and the UK/Italy to an extent with Sky Kids/Now TV Kids (which also has Boomerang, Nick, Disney etc.).

4. International markets are less obsessed with marketing, scheduling and viewing ratings, this is an extension to point number two, obviously they need to make a profit and do well, but instead in most cases they focus more on presentation aspects of the channel and attract viewers through that way.

If I lived in the U.S., I wouldn't bother watching CN unless there's an non-App premiere, otherwise I would just use the app and subscribe to the Boomerang streaming service.

RandomMe

Bloo
The reason why Vishnu Athreya got to the USA just to spam certain shows came from when he was in Asia. When CN Asia had the rights to Oggy and the Cockroaches (now on Boomerang) he felt like it was a good idea to spam the series on all APAC feeds (minus Australia). India, due to its unique taste and the fact that they used to like old Tom and Jerry theatricals on CN as kids, was the place where this was implemented the most, and later there were numerous other issues regarding rights and the like and the show remained on CN India, but left CN Asia. His philosophy comes from India - the more you air a certain show, the more kids will enjoy.

Eldorado

You know, I never understood Cord Cutting. I mean, don't you need cable to access the locked episodes on the CN App?

RegularCapital

You know, I never understood Cord Cutting. I mean, don't you need cable to access the locked episodes on the CN App?
You do need cable, but that doesn't mean you have to watch the channel, with this WarnerMedia streaming service coming out, you'll probably be able to watch CN without a subscription.

RandomMe

Bloo
Even cord cutting is not the norm here. Lately, Cartoon Network has been Portugal's second most-watched kids channel, ahead of Canal Panda and behind Disney Channel.

SourSweetGone

Horde scientist
Different countries, different interests/regulations/rules/etc.

Plus some aren't as heavily effected by the "Digital Age" so to speak as the U.S. and a few others.

And again poor scheduling for TV networks in general is arguably nothing new, its been kind of a thing for most of the 21st century now. Ever since like 2005 and on TV networks in general have focused more on easy ratings over variety, that's not going to change anytime soon and really with the way things are going it doesn't matter either way at this point. Kids today don't care about network schedules. They have so many ways to consume content when something is on or what channel its on are most likely an after thought to them when they can just watch it off their parents DVR, their cellphone, tablet, digital downloads or a streaming app (or sadly through illegal uploads as well) pretty much anytime they want.

Basically schedules for better or worse don't really matter anymore.

I mean yea, more variety would be nice, but overall it'd be a moot point either way.

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
I really like the diversity on CN programming in International/overseas
And to speak for truth, you're not alone. This is what the US needs more of, especially for those who don't want to cut the cord anytime soon. Streaming may be the next big thing, but most of these media US companies (not just CN.) could stand to improve both their content and scheduling all around by not treating it like the only thing!

Radical Edward

from Netflix's Cowboy Bebop
I think it's because international CN channels aren't as reliant on ad money as the US, so they can have more variety on their schedule without worrying about ratings too much. Also, in many regions around the world, legal streaming services aren't as ubiquitous or accessible as they are in the US, thus people still need cable to legally watch the shows they like.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
This thread is quite funny because the people in the international news threads complain waaaay more than the Americans in other threads. Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes not.

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
This thread is quite funny because the people in the international news threads complain waaaay more than the Americans in other threads. Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes not.
The problem is is that most people in these other countries have far better and respectable schedules and people in these companies working on them to keep interest in cartoons alive - they are, in short, respecting that lie audience and its love for this criminally underrated medium.

We Americans are not, when it comes to schedules and showing more of what people actually want to see.

I feel, even if we ain't kids, we have every right to complain about how it hurts the brand, the shows that people want to see, and a whole bunch of other ramifications such bad scheduling brings to the regime, as well as how it hurts the medium and everyone's view of said medium, as a whole.

Bad scheduling is one of many things things damages interest in the great medium that is Western Animation and I know for TRUTH how much it sucks. This is one more reason why streaming is taking off so well right now and allowing the medium to improve its survival rate into a new genetation.

RandomMe

Bloo
Ironically, while most international feeds have the better schedules, they have the worser part: excessive censorship, and this depends on the feed's administration.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
"most" and "excessive" in the same sentence is not true. It is only excessive in Eastern Europe and the Islamic countries AFAIK.

Most countries use the British censorship as far as I know. Sometimes a second gets cut here and there. Adventure Time S6 had four episodes cut though, but that was 5 years ago.

I am very curious what will happen with the last episodes of Steven Universe, though. The Netherlands and Belgium were the first countries to legalize gay marriage in 2000-2003, however, if the British will censor it, so will we, probably. We simply get the British versions.

The USA also censored stuff like 6teen and I think even Braceface, but those aired here uncensored if I remember correctly.