Why didn't Jetix air on Disney Channel?

TheMisterManGuy

Jetix in case you were wondering, was Disney's old brand for Action-Adventure shows that aired on both ABC Family and Toon Disney, becoming exclusive to the later in 2006. It was the new home for Power Rangers, Digimon, and countless other Fox Kids and "would've been" Fox Kids shows after Disney purchased Fox Family Worldwide in 2001.

It begs the question, why didn't Disney air the Jetix lineup on its flagship network, Disney Channel? ABC Family was already moving away from kids shows by the time Jetix was introduced, so it felt out of place there, and Toon Disney was digital cable. You'd think bringing such shows to the Disney Channel would be a smart move. It would've diversified the network's programing, and give them something to compete with Cartoon Network in this area. But alas, that didn't happen.

Disney Channel, especially in the early to mid 2000s, was always a network of missed opportunities and wasted potential, and Jetix is one such example.

CNCN2014

I think one of the main reasons was that Disney Channel was shifting to a focus on young girls and teens, so there really was no point to having the network air boy-oriented programming or indeed attempt to do something similar. I know Disney still had a few shows which appealed to basically everyone, but it felt more like they were trying to turn Disney Channel into the girls channel and Toon Disney/Jetix into somewhat of a boys network. Still, they did have a Disney XD block air on the main channel at one point and stopped airing it when recieving Disney XD was more widespread. I think maybe that they wanted Jetix to be associated as "another thing", it's one of the main reasons as to why later in 2006 it was only referred to as "Jetix" and Toon Disney was just a seperate aside.

TheMisterManGuy

I think one of the main reasons was that Disney Channel was shifting to a focus on young girls and teens, so there really was no point to having the network air boy-oriented programming or indeed attempt to do something similar. I know Disney still had a few shows which appealed to basically everyone, but it felt more like they were trying to turn Disney Channel into the girls channel and Toon Disney/Jetix into somewhat of a boys network. Still, they did have a Disney XD block air on the main channel at one point and stopped airing it when recieving Disney XD was more widespread. I think maybe that they wanted Jetix to be associated as "another thing", it's one of the main reasons as to why later in 2006 it was only referred to as "Jetix" and Toon Disney was just a seperate aside.

But this was the same network where Kim Possible and American Dragon were its most popular showsp for a while. Jetix would've fit in a lot better on Disney Channel than it did on either Toon Disney or ABC Family. Even as a kid, Jetix felt out of place on Toon Disney in my eyes.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
But this was the same network where Kim Possible and American Dragon were its most popular showsp for a while. Jetix would've fit in a lot better on Disney Channel than it did on either Toon Disney or ABC Family. Even as a kid, Jetix felt out of place on Toon Disney in my eyes.
Yeah, Kim Possible and American Dragon would fit! In fact, American Dragon actually aired on Jetix for a while in the states!

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Disney Channel has seldom been an outlet for action cartoons, especially around that time when it started to focus heavily on girl-oriented sitcoms. Granted, like mentioned before, the era of Jetix did overlap with American Dragon: Jake Long's run, one of the few straight-up action shows to air on the channel, but that was hardly one of their bigger hits.

If anything, I think Jetix would've been a better fit for ABC proper, replacing their tired Saturday morning block. I think they did air some of their Power Rangers series on there at some point, but they could've easily added more in, even if it would be weird to see former Fox Kids staples like their X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons now on ABC.

Disney Channel has seldom been an outlet for action cartoons, especially around that time when it started to focus heavily on girl-oriented sitcoms. Granted, like mentioned before, the era of Jetix did overlap with American Dragon: Jake Long's run, one of the few straight-up action shows to air on the channel, but that was hardly one of their bigger hits.

If anything, I think Jetix would've been a better fit for ABC proper, replacing their tired Saturday morning block. I think they did air some of their Power Rangers series on there at some point, but they could've easily added more in, even if it would be weird to see former Fox Kids staples like their X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons now on ABC.
I've heard somewhere that they wanted to replace ABC Kids with Jetix, even going as far as wanting to add Digimon and SRMTHFG

The plans never finished, and was scrapped

I have to find the source of this tho

Light Lucario

Staff member

Was American Dragon considered one of Disney Channel's most popular shows? That was definitely the case for Kim Possible, but American Dragon only lasted for two seasons, had a pretty rushed finale and doesn't seem to get as much fanfare compared to other Disney Channel series from around that time.

As for the question at hand, I assume that they wanted to keep Disney Channel primarily focused on their own original series instead of their third party properties. Plus, most of the shows airing on Jetix were more action oriented and primarily appealed to boys. This was still the time where Disney were still aiming more at girls with their lineup of shows more often than not.

I would have loved it it if they had moved Jetix to Disney Channel or to ABC to replace their Saturday morning block. I didn't have Toon Disney until well after it had already become Disney XD, so there was no way I could have gotten access to Jetix after it moved from ABC Family. It's such a shame since I really liked the block and there were some cool shows, but once it moved to Toon Disney, I couldn't watch it anymore.

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
2004 Disney Channel already had their ethos set up and were running with it Jetix would have been a sore thumb on the network, and Toon Disney was a reruns channel, so putting some originals (meaning new) programming on it gave it something it needed. Now if they had replaced ABC kids with Jetix in 2006 it could have worked, but the while E/I thing wouldn't have allowed. They Aired Kim Possible and Power Rangers for the 4th hour (the non E/I hour) and many stations aired those shows at an off hour. When my ABC station added news on weekend mornings in 2007, they bumped ABC kids down 2 hrs, and Power Rangers was moved to Sundays at 5am.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

harry580 wrote on Santana434's profile.
hi, what cartoon is your profile pic from?

I haven't seen an Nostalgia Critic episode in 6 years and i don't plan on coming back.

But good lord this is cringe. It straight up looks like a 2001 Newgrounds cartoon. I'm suprised Foamy the Squirrel didn't pop up
So is there going to be a "Do you remember ___________?" thread for every show that ever existed? Or is it just for shows that came out in the last 30 years?
I wish a happy 49th birthday to Aliki Theofilopoulos Grafft.

I could find some stuff that was relatable from Kansas City.

Featured Posts