Why didn’t Disney XD air these specific Marvel shows in 2009?

Latest News

Jun 10, 2016
Ratings
537 11
In 2009, there were five Marvel animated shows premiering episodes on TV in the U.S.. Those shows consisted of:

- The Spectacular Spider-Man
- Fantastic Four: World’s Greatest Heroes
- Wolverine and the X-Men
- Iron Man: Armored Adventures
- And the Super Hero Squad Show

The thing is, out of these shows, Disney XD only aired the Spectacular Spider-Man while Cartoon Network only aired The Super Hero Squad Show. But for some reason, Nicktoons picked up Fantastic Four: World’s Greatest Heroes (originally on Cartoon Network), Wolverine and the X-Men, and Iron Man: Armored Adventures.

But the thing is, why did Nicktoons air those shows instead of Disney XD? Sure, I’ll give The Super Hero Squad Show an exception, but why didn’t Disney XD pick up the shows Nicktoons got when Disney XD was airing the 90s Fantastic Four series, the 90s X-Men series, X-Men Evolution, and the 90s Iron Man series.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
Ratings
2,509 8
I thunk it's cheaper to acquire older series that already ended rather than pick them up for new episodes. Plus, Nickelodeon has an absolutely terrible reputation when treating action shows (whether original or not) . Plus, while Disney XD aired Spectacular Spiderman, they didn't have the funding to actually produce new episodes.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,380 4
177A Bleecker Street
The Marvel buyout wasn't announced until late into 2009. It wasn't even approved until the very last day of the year so it wouldn't have been a lock for Toon Disney/Disney XD to be airing those Marvel shows already. The Marvel shows they acquired through buying Fox Family and the Fox Kids library were run a lot since they owned them but it's not as though the Marvel brand itself was a priority for the network until after the buyout.

NickToons loved the success they were getting with Wolverine And The X-Men and Iron Man Armored Adventures. This was why they acquired another Marvel show, the previously mistreated Fantastic Four World's Greatest Heroes, and treated the airing of all three shows as though they were big deals for the network. If it was up to NickToons, we definitely would gotten more Wolverine. These acquired shows were treated better on that network than Spectacular Spider-Man was on Disney XD. I was happy that they acquired it and aired it, period, after Kids WB ended though. The show that really puzzles me is The Super Hero Squad Show, which Disney let go to The Hub after it's run on Cartoon Network was over.