Why Did You Choose Your Current Avatar Version 4.0

jaylop97

Staff member
Since it's almost christmas I decided to switch my profile picture to Martini from Olive the other Reindeer, since Pinkipie97 has Olive I thought it would be cool to have Martini, since i always liked his friendship with Olive.

Dr.Pepper

I was tired of the Spinel so I switched to this cute baby Simba. I have been thinking a lot lately about how I always wondered (as a kid) what was Simba’s life in the pridelands before the events of the movie.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I felt that it was time for a new avatar, so I'm going with a recent favorite LP, On Dark Horses by Emma Ruth Rundle.

I discovered her music around the time this one came out, and fell for her multitude of sounds. There's a definite heaviness to her music, but her metal leanings are mixed with folk, and even a trace or two of pop on top of a powerful voice and strong instrumentals. While I ended up gravitating a little more towards her previous release, Marked for Death, this one still really impresses me even after multiple listens.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Decided to swap out Emma for another favorite, Sleep's Dopesmoker. The story behind this album is legendary- the band wrote and were attempting to record a 60+ minute song that purposefully doesn't tread far, and broke up during the process.

A truncated version was released a little later called Jerusalem, while something closer to the track in concept came out a few years later. I think it's pretty terrific, myself, even if I can't listen to it every day.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
Moved on to Tipso from the infamous Mighty Mister Titan by Soundac. More interesting than the title character, I'll say.

Also partly inspired by March Madness.

Last edited:

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
My previous avatar was the original Angry Birds loading screen, as the franchise turned 10 back in December.

My new icon is both Monsters Vs. Aliens: The Series and The Fairly OddParents! season 9, as both turn 7 years old in 5 days.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
It's time for a new avatar/album, and I'm going with a Black Sabbath classic, Master of Reality. This is the band's third album, and the third game changer in a row, further going slower and into more drug-fueled content. It's a pretty brisk album, not even clocking at 35 minutes, but makes every moment count in terms of heaviness and a classic doom aesthetic.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Already felt like a new avatar, and this time I went for a favorite Neil Young LP, Rust Never Sleeps.

It's a live release entirely full of new material Young was trying out while touring for his (equally strong) Comes a Time album, mixing acoustic and electric tracks. The former would have fit well on the preceding album, while the latter is Young's take on the booming punk scene, containing some of his most experimental material to that point.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Will go back to Peanuts character sometime ,anyway, Hanako is my pick this time, really enjoyed the series of "Toilet Bound Hanako Kun" so there we go

creator

Hey Arnold! has always been one of my favorite shows. I'm probably older than most members here and I'm picky about my cartoons so I figured I'm like stoop kid... yelling at all the kids and afraid to leave my stoop.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
It's been a month since my last avatar, so it seemed like time for a new one. I saw that I have one of my favorite albums, Kick by INXS coming up soon on my drive docket, so I went with that.

This is as perfect of a pop album as you can get. The mixture of tempo and tone is pretty close to perfect, as whenever you think there's too much groove (if there's such a thing), it slows down at the right moment, but it never lulls. Michael Hutchence's passionate voice is a noted element of the band's sound, but every musician similarly brings their A-game. I picked their less popular Welcome to Wherever You Are a while ago, and while I do very much like that one, this deserves its success.

Mr. Horse

insert clever caption here
It was a funny "easter egg" I found in the Inspector Gadget episode "Sleeping Gas". For whatever reason, somebody decided to put a face and hair on a pool noodle - and it's pretty hilarious if you notice it.

ATSFGuy

I must be the only person here with a locomotive for an Avatar, but here's why I did what i did:

As a kid growing up in the late 1990's , I've always been fascinated with Santa Fe's Red/Silver "Warbonnet" Scheme. My very first Life-Like trainset included a Red/Silver GP40, 5-6 freight cars, and a red caboose with a yellow cross. From 2002/2003, I noticed the locomotives pulling freight trains through Southern California weren't Red/Silver at all, but Green/Orange/Yellow. Kinda looks like a pumpkin. That's when I realized Santa Fe had been taken over by another Railroad, Burlington Northern and later merged in December 1996 to become BNSF, though the Warbonnet locomotives continued to linger around the system up til mid or late 2002. BNSF's Pumpkin Scheme was alright, but nothing compared to the Warbonnet. Some railfans I talked to simply hated BNSF for taking away Santa Fe. In 2005, Green/Orange/Yellow changes to Black/Orange/Yellow with the BNSF logo painted black with a Swoosh underneath. I nicknamed Black/Orange/Yellow "Rotten Pumpkin". By now I was so tired of nothing but Black/Orange hauling freight and decided it was time to revive the Warbonnet Scheme for my HO Scale Collection, with an occasional twist of Blue/Yellow diesels working alongside the Warbonnets hauling Doublestack containers, Piggyback Trailers, Autoracks, Mixed Freights and more. I still faver the Warbonnet over the Rotten Pumpkin today.

For my railroad, the Classic Warbonnet Superfleet and Yellowbonnet colors live on, as if Santa Fe never died.
BNSF's Current Scheme is too much of an construction site look. If you live out in the Southwest, Northwest, Midwest or Texas, you'll definitely see BNSF and maybe Union Pacific "The Yellow Borg."

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
As much as I like having Michael Hutchence side eye from my avatar, it was time for a new one, so I'm going with Fields of the Nephilim's Elizium. This is one of the all-time great goth rock albums, a smoothly-paced release that contains a lot of emotion and atmosphere. It's their best work and worth a spin.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts