Why did they stop showing real guns in kids' cartoons, and do you think it's for the best?

Latest News & Videos

Peter Paltridge

Too Hip For Spielberg
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
It's not a "new" thing, guns have been a trial-basis thing in kids cartoons since the 90s, and prior to that, weren't allowed at all outside of old theater shorts. People used laser guns instead.

Garfield and Friends would often substitute pies wherever guns were supposed to logically go. 4Kids would paint guns out of anime or they would add little laser sounds to the weapon firing. The Fox Kids censors would only allow guns on Batman: The Animated Series because they viewed it as a "period piece."

You could claim the rise in gun violence plays a role, but all it's really done is reinforce the status quo.

EJLD4Ever

Animation Student
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle Area, WA
When you think about it, it's all about context. Imagine if you will, a western movie parody without the six-shooters. Gunfighting is an integral trope of the western genre, and is pretty much expected in a western movie parody.

In that case, I think it's permissible.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
I think it's a combination of certain children's series trying to skew even younger and the judgment of whoever happens to be in charge of standards and practices at the time.

Most of the modern versions of series like Ben 10, TMNT, Transformers, Marvel and DC heroes have increased the focus on comedy and adventure and less on high stakes action and drama. They still have serious moments at times but realistic firearms wouldn't really fit the lighter tone they often go for.

Then you have standards and practices who are just as inconsistent as the mpaa & esrb. Each network/channel has their own individual set of guidelines on what type of content is okay for each show but that often changes depending on who's doing the judging at the time. One person might have no issue with guns being shown, the other might be fine with a gun being shown but not fired, and another person might not be okay with guns at all. There are numerous of cases of films, television, and games with the same age rating have widely different levels of censorship when it comes to certain content.

As for whether realistic firearms not being depicted in children's shows is for the best, ultimately any benefits it might have is kind of negligible at this point in time. Any kid with a phone, computer or console has literally hundreds of options to choose from when it comes to videogame shooters. Even series where shooting isn't the primary means of gameplay sometimes give the player the option to use a firearm. Not to mention all the live-action films, shows, comics, novels and music that show or mention gun violence. Only the most sheltered of kids will not have consumed some piece of media that involves gun usage.

I personally don't believe kids should be shielded from seeing guns in media or playing violent games but with the increase of mass shootings in America each year one can make the argument that the entertainment industry has opened pandora's box.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I was watching a episode of Darkwing Duck last week and was really surprised to see how much gunplay was in it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Disney is having such a bad time this month. With removing of Love, Simon and moving it's series to Hulu because it is too "mature", stopping production of Lizzie McGuire because it was also too "mature", having a "LGBT representation" in Onward and she only appears in ONE scene, few DisneyParks shutting down temporarily due to Coronavirus, their stock went down, Bob Iger left, and is being replaced by Bob Chapek
I know I’m saying this out of nowhere but, I wish The Hub was still around. My favorite shows were Dan Vs. and The Aquabats Super Show.

Cort Lane leaves Marvel animation.
Asa
I'm hoping at some point this decade, Netflix will finally pick up one of Fresh TV's new projects instead of Cartoon Network (not to sound offensive but seven shows seem quite enough).

Also if Total Dramarama does get cancelled at some point, Fresh needs to put the Total Drama franchise to rest (not abandoning it) for a little while and focus on other projects like Lucas the Spider.
Low Spark of Lyman wrote on PinkiePie97's profile.
I've noticed in my "Alerts" that you've commented on the Flintstones video I posted today, yet no comments from you are visible on the page for it via my laptop/mobile device (I see other comments, though). Not sure what's going on.