Why did HBO/Starz not get into kids programming?

zeebre12

Why did HBO/Starz not get into kids programming? Netflix/Amazon/Hulu since they started have focused on kids TV shows as well as programming for an older audience to entice subscribers. HBO have recently acquired the rights to Sesame Street but other than that it's not something they tried at all. Netflix has deals with DreamWorks to have their kids TV shows on its platform. The streamers see kids programming as a way to cater to a family audience. Why didn't/don't HBO/Starz develop their own kids shows to take on Disney/Nickelodeon/CN like the streaming services have?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
That's why I said other that Sesame Street which they acquired the rights to they have put investment into kids TV shows like Netflix/Amazon/Hulu have.
Ah. My bad.

For the record, back in the 1980's HBO was the American home of Fraggle Rock. I always resented as a kid that my parents weren't rich enough for me to watch it. I love having the DVDs.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I have always wondered which cartoons Starz Kids and Family used to air. Their website says:

The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3
Care Bears: Adventures in Care-a-lot
Thomas & Friends
Barbie Dreamtopia
Eloisde: The Animated Series
Bo on the Go
Sonic the Hedgehog
Garfield and Friends
Yu-Gi-Oh
Zatch Bell

Sabrina: The Animated Series
Monster Math Squad
ABC Monsters
Heathcliff
Busytown Mysteries
Animal Mechanicals
Speed Racer: The Next Generation
Angela Anaconda
Inspector Gadget
Liberty's Kids
Doodlebop's Rockin' Road Show
The Adventures of Paddington Bear
The New Adventures of Madeline
Horseland
Rambo
Thomas Edison's Secret Lab
Bob the Builder
Atomic Betty
Connie the Cow
Franny's Feet
Robotboy
Pet Alien
Skatoony
Dirtgirlworld
The Adventures of Abney & Teal

Wikipedia says they used to air:
Gawayn
Matt's Monsters
Kung Fu Dino Posse
The New Adventures of Nanoboy
Skatoony
Captain Biceps
Zombie Hotel
SantApprentice
The Green Squad
Kangaroo Creek Gang
Dragon Hunters (fantastic opening theme)
The Secret World of Og
KaBlam (?)
Angela Anaconda

None of these are any good. I liked Zombie Hotel as a child but now it's kind of boring...

Does anyone know any others?

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
None of them are good enough to pay premium channel money for that's for certain, even without commercials. Starz is on my current cable package for this year but the OnDemand kids selections are to put it mildly LACKING. At least HBO has Sesame Street and reruns of Fraggle Rock. Starz has nothin' goin' on.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts