Why did Black Vulcan stop shouting his name?

VeiledHat

HAHAHA! I HAVE YOU NOW!
He only did it in season 2 (both of his appearances.) I know Space Ghost only shouted his name in the intro and outro, while Birdman and Black Vulcan did it in the actual episodes. However, by Challenge of the Super Friends, this trademark of BV was gone and replaced with his catchphrase "Great Lightning!" which he kept throughout his further appearances. Was it taking a toll on Buster Jones' lungs? Gary Owens and Keith Andes didn't mind doing it (although they seemed to have only recorded it once, judging by how it's the same soundbyte every episode in the latter's case, while you can hear the difference in Buster Jones' yells in the two episodes.) Or was it that Hanna-Barbera finally realized the trend of having their superheroes shout their names was dumb? I personally don't mind it, but it makes them look like carbon copies of one another.

VintageToonFan

Or was it that Hanna-Barbera finally realized the trend of having their superheroes shout their names was dumb? I personally don't mind it, but it makes them look like carbon copies of one another.

Personally, I think it was more of this. Again, I just felt it didn't sound as great as Samurai's power phrases and Apache Chief's "Inuk-Chuk". I mean, Buster Jones delivered those "Black Vulcan" yells perfectly, but just yelling your name to activate your powers isn't as cool sounding as uttering other phrases, so I guess someone at Hanna-Barbera (probably Jeffrey Scott, who basically took over as head writer in Challenge of the SuperFriends) realized that and dropped it.

VeiledHat

HAHAHA! I HAVE YOU NOW!
Personally, I think it was more of this. Again, I just felt it didn't sound as great as Samurai's power phrases and Apache Chief's "Inuk-Chuk". I mean, Buster Jones delivered those "Black Vulcan" yells perfectly, but just yelling your name to activate your powers isn't as cool sounding as uttering other phrases, so I guess someone at Hanna-Barbera (probably Jeffrey Scott, who basically took over as head writer in Challenge of the SuperFriends) realized that and dropped it.
If that's the case, then why didn't anyone realize that when they were making Birdman or Mightor?

VintageToonFan

If that's the case, then why didn't anyone realize that when they were making Birdman or Mightor?

Well, again, that was in the 60's, whereas SuperFriends was in the 70's (and Black Vulcan first appeared in the late-70's), so maybe by 1978, they could have felt name yelling was out of place. Again, this is just speculation, of course.

VeiledHat

HAHAHA! I HAVE YOU NOW!
Well, again, that was in the 60's, whereas SuperFriends was in the 70's (and Black Vulcan first appeared in the late-70's), so maybe by 1978, they could have felt name yelling was out of place. Again, this is just speculation, of course.
Space Ghost reappeared in 1981 and I'm pretty sure he yelled his name then.

hobbyfan

It became too much of a repetitive plot device, and wasn't needed after the first couple of appearances.

hobbyfan

Birdman did it EVERY EPISODE of his cartoon.

A decade later, things were different. Also, I think someone took notice of that, since the 60's super adventure reruns were in syndication by 1978, and decided BV would not call his name out anymore.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts