Why can't Nickelodeon give us fantasy or sci fi adventures like they used to?

James35

They had Avatar and Korra! Now other networks are surpassing them! Netflix has Voltron! Cartoon Network has Steven Universe and Disney had Star Wars Rebels and now has Star Wars Resistance upcoming!

Why can't they give us an animated series with interesting characters and lore?

What is going on with their execs? How can a company allow themselves to be outmaneuvered like this?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's because the former President of Nickelodeon Cyma Zarghami believes action cartoons turn kids into terrorists.

No joke. She actually said that.

ThisGuy24

It's because the former President of Nickelodeon Cyma Zarghami believes action cartoons turn kids into terrorists.

No joke. She actually said that.

I genuinely hope she didn't really say that because that is honestly disgusting.

ToonJay723

Staff member
They did have Welcome to the Wayne but that disappeared from the schedule.

Light Lucario

Staff member
They had Avatar and Korra! Now other networks are surpassing them! Netflix has Voltron! Cartoon Network has Steven Universe and Disney had Star Wars Rebels and now has Star Wars Resistance upcoming!

Why can't they give us an animated series with interesting characters and lore?

What is going on with their execs? How can a company allow themselves to be outmaneuvered like this?

As much as I love Steven Universe, I don't think I'd call it a straight up action series in the same vein as Avatar and Korra. I wouldn't consider it sci-fi either. They do have TMNT. There's definitely more emphasis in comedy with that series, but it is closer to an action series. Shows like Avatar and Korra are more like the exceptions rather than the norm for Nickelodeon shows. They've always had more comedic shows than anything dramatic or action packed. Plus, based on how they treated Korra, I don't think that they're interested in giving anything experimental a chance on their lineup.

Link: Brace yourself.

Wow. That's really awful. The statement about action cartoons turning kids into terrorists alone was terrible, but her business practices and treatment towards the creators also says a lot about how she ran the network and none of it is good.

SweetShop209

Well, Nickelodeon has always been third fiddle when it comes to action shows with setialized narratives. I mean, the network's first major action show was Danny Phantom, which came out in 2004, long after Cartoon Network and Disney made some attempts to break into action like the Powerpuff Girls (action comedy) and Samurai Jack (action fantasy) for the former and Gargoyles (action dramedy) and Legend Of Tarzan (action-fantasy-comedy) for the latter. Even in the 2010s, their only standout serialized shows were Legend Of Korra and TMNT (2012) , while Cartoon Network has DC cartoons and action comedies like Steven Universe, OK KO, and the upcoming DC Superhero Girls, while Disney has Marvel cartoons, Star Wars cartoons, and the upcoming Rocketeer cartoon. Why Nick has been slower to catch up with other networks is a mystery.

90'sKid

Because sci-fi/fantasy stories tend to be more serialized, while Nick usually has more episodic cartoons (bar a few exceptions)?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mandouga

Nickelodeon never had any sci fi.

I don't know about Belgium, but in the U.S., they've had some sci-fi shows (Power Rangers...sort of counts). I mean, I can't recall the name, but wasn't there a show they once aired that was set in a post-apocalyptic future?

EDIT: I just read the tweet in full, and the only parts I didn't agree with were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles being "stale", and Mighty Mouse being "ancient nonsense". That wasn't fair, IMHO, but yes, Cyma Zarghami did a lot of damage, and her remark about action shows and terrorists just shows what she really thinks about anyone who watches action shows, let alone any that on Nickelodeon.

Last edited:

ThisGuy24

They want to stand out from other networks that have action shows by not having any

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Did you really just say that? All they have is SpongeBob and the loud house, how is that standing out or being different? Steven universe doesn't even really have action and Disney only has star vs the forces that evil which also don't have much action.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I don't know about Belgium, but in the U.S., they've had some sci-fi shows (Power Rangers...sort of counts). I mean, I can't recall the name, but wasn't there a show they once aired that was set in a post-apocalyptic future?
We also had Power Rangers as well as a cartoon from France/Luxembourg/Canada called "Skyland". The most whining show ever. Oh no, our parents. Oh no, our parents. Oh no, our parents.

What about The Troop?
Honestly I was talking about sci fi cartoons.

ShadowBeast

Did you really just say that? All they have is SpongeBob and the loud house, how is that standing out or being different? Steven universe doesn't even really have action and Disney only has star vs the forces that evil which also don't have much action.
Disney Also has Ducktales and the Marvel cartoons which are action cartoons.
Though I do agree that all Nickelodeon has is SBSP and The loud House and that it doesn't really make Nick stand out from the other networks.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts