Why can’t other networks pick up Nicktoons that we’re screwed over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJLeeTeam

Slacker Musketeer
Nick has a bunch of cartoons that they pretty much just threw away, most of them being burnt off on Nicktoons. Notably Making Fiends which was going to be on Nick, ended up being Nicktoons exclusive before it even aired.

Why can’t competing networks like CN and Disney rescue shows that we’re given a poor treatment on Nick? This happened before when Disney got Doug from Nick. Shows like Invader Zim, My Life as a Teenage Robot, Harvey Beaks, and Welcome to the Wayne could’ve fared better on CN or Disney.

If they are just going to throw shows away they might as well rejected them.

Last edited:

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nick owns the shows, so another network can’t pick them up unless they get the rights from Nick, and that happening is unlikely. What happened with Doug was that the original deal was for 65 episodes, but since Nick decided to stop production at 52 episodes, the rights went back to the creator and he was able to pitch it elsewhere.

ShadowBeast

I can't see Disney taking in Invader Zim. That show is way too dark. And like PinkiePie97 said, these shows are owned by Nickelodeon. It's like how Hartman leaving, sealed the fates of Bunsen and Fairly OddParents from continuing and Danny Phantom from ever being revived unless Nick decides to revive them without Hartman (but that's highly unlikely).

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I know this is impossible, but if Harvey Beaks were on CN Portugal, it would treat it better than Nick Iberia.

Dudley

Staff member
CN and Disney could in fact commission new episodes of Nick shows and acquire broadcasting rights to air said shows.
But why would they want to? They won’t own the full rights to the Nick shows, so no money off merch or DVD/digital sales. Why pick up those shows when they can always make something similar, that they’ll fully own the rights to?

Also, Nick is the #1 Kids channel in America. If a show is treated like crap on that channel, it’s mostly because the ratings are bad, or it no longer fits with whatever plans the network have at the time (which can happen due to the long development process), thus getting moved to the Nicktoons Network.
What I’m saying is that the other channels mostly would avoid wanting Nick’s failures. If it’s not going to do good on Nick, it won’t do good on the other channels. High risks, with little benefit.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Once a corporation owns the rights to something and it could hurt their profits to even think about parting with it, they're just not gonna let go, ever. FACT. And this isn't just with general media like cartoons and other types of TV, either, m8.

ToonsJazzLover

Nick owns the rights for those shows.

If I have Nick channels on my cable provider, I've gave them a chance right away instead of dismissing them. It really needs more animation on the lineup right now and so far this month is making up for the drought last year.

TheJLeeTeam

Slacker Musketeer
I’m glad Nick didn’t pick up Adventure Time. They probably couldn’t have presented it the way CN did and the show could have been watered down or worse it could’ve been Nicktoons exclusive like Making Fiends and it wouldn’t have gained a huge audience and chances are there wouldn’t be shows like Steven Universe.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Since the OP's question has been answered I'm going to close this thread, since there's no more to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Ready for Halloween!
We have Kim Possible and Flame Princess making bacon pancakes (I assume this was filmed long before quarantine).

Who wants to bet when Oaxis launches, it'll just be the Noog Network with family-friendly public domain content added in?
CNC
How come every time I try to associate with a social media account on my profile, I'm getting an error message?

To everyone reading this: You're one in a million. In other words, you're special.