Why Avengers United They Stand Failed

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I thought this video is interesting, its about why the cartoon series, Avengers United They Stand failed to catch on:

Its interesting to see how that cartoon failed when nowadays Avengers is one of the biggest franchises around. A lot of backroom stuff helped sink this series.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
The dislike for Matt Fraction Hawkeye won me over with the review. I've watched some of GodzillaMendoza's vids over the past year or two though (language advisory) so I was already a little positive towards him.

A lot of United They Stand felt like the other X-Men copycat shows from the 90s, like WildCATs (no offense), that didn't manage to develop a world or characters as interesting as what came before. The designs were all so overdone, whether for toy or screen. They might have benefitted from something much sleeker and color balanced. I remember seeing those Avenger cameos from the earlier and really wanting an Avengers show like what was promised. That didn't happen until AEMH. The show just never managed to make anything interesting. I still couldn't really tell you how that Kang episode ends.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
May 13, 2006
Advanced Idea Mechanics
I remember this being my introduction to the Avengers, but for the longest time, I didn't even know it was supposed to be related to Marvel. A combination of me not being familiar with the characters on screen and conveniently skipping the appearances of Iron Man and Cap.

Reactions: Frontier

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
May 28, 2014
I don't know why they went with the West Coast team for a show. Was there already an Avengers of sort in the later seasons of X-Men & Spider-Man?

Reactions: Awest66

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Canada
I remember seeing ads for this show on Fox Kids and having absolutely no idea it was connected to Marvel. I was very young and my primary exposure to Marvel was through the cartoons, not the comics. I had no idea who Hawkeye and Ultron were, and even if I did it almost wouldn't have mattered as they look so little like their comic counterparts. If anything the ridiculous costumes they wore and their suit-up sequences to be bizarrely Power Rangers-esque (which in hindsight makes sense I guess). I knew about the canceled Captain America show but didn't know there was another, more comics accurate Avengers cartoon in development at one point.

Interesting video, though I will disagree with him that this was the first bad 90s Marvel show. It was certainly the worst and a weak way to end the run of 90s Marvel cartoons, but Spider-Man Unlimited and Silver Surfer were hardly bastions of quality.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I don't know why they went with the West Coast team for a show. Was there already an Avengers of sort in the later seasons of X-Men & Spider-Man?
Cap made guest appearances in X-Men: TAS and Spider-Man: The Animated Series (as did Iron Man).

I think there was like a 90's Avengers roster that appeared in the second season of the FF's cartoon.

Reactions: Mostezli

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Canada
I think there was like a 90's Avengers roster that appeared in the second season of the FF's cartoon.
Yes, but those were wordless cameos. I don’t even think they were called the Avengers, and didn’t feature the likes of Cap or Thor. I always felt that Spider-Man TAS’ Secret Wars arc was the closest we got to an Avengers team as far as 90s cartoons go.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
Yes, but those were wordless cameos. I don’t even think they were called the Avengers, and didn’t feature the likes of Cap or Thor. I always felt that Spider-Man TAS’ Secret Wars arc was the closest we got to an Avengers team as far as 90s cartoons go.
They were mentioned as Avengers in dialogue, at least, on Fantastic Four. Reed is talking to Iron Man during citizen rescue at the beginning of an episode trying to coordinate what the FF and Avengers do.

As far as the members getting exposure before this series, I think that Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch were the only ones that got any as regulars on Iron Man. Wanda felt pretty much like a Zsa Zsa Gabor parody though. My perspective has always been that this show's roster could have worked with better writing and characterization. These can be great interesting characters when they are used properly. The West Coast book was a fan favorite for years for a reason.

Last edited:

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Canada
They were mentioned as Avengers in dialogue, at least, on Fantastic Four. Reed is talking to Iron Man during citizen rescue at the beginning of an episode trying to coordinate what the FF and Avengers do.

Ah, you’re right, my bad.

As far as the members getting exposure before this series, I think that Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch were the only ones that got any as regulars on Iron Man. Wanda felt pretty much like a Zsa Zsa Gabor parody though. My perspective has always been that this show's roster could have worked with better writing and characterization. These can be great interesting characters when they are used properly. The West Coast book was a fan favorite for years for a reason.
Agree and disagree with this. You’re right it could have been better and there’s nothing inherently wrong with a West Coast Avengers show. But this was the first Avengers show ever, you have to do the classic lineup. Shows like this don’t come around often and you have to do it properly since you’re not getting another chance. It was a decade plus before the Avengers got another shot on TV and it probably wouldn’t have happened if the MCU didn’t get popular and had an Avengers movie in development at the time. Maybe they could have a done a West Coast Avengers show as a spin-off with a similar lineup but this show wasn’t called West Coast Avengers, and it didn’t pretend to portray that team. This was supposed to be the classic Avengers, and they did it wrong. It would have been like if JL/JLU featured a team of Nightwing, Power Girl, Steel and Atom, with Superman or Batman just showing up for one off appearances.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I don't think I ever viewed it that drastically since I always thought of Hawkeye, Vision and Scarlet Witch as classic Avengers for as long as I knew the team, after I learned to read and started raiding my much older cousin's comics. Even the arcade game was Cap, Iron Man, Hawkeye and Vision.

I love the big three, and it never quite feels right to me if at least one of them isn't on the roster, but I just feel like that's something mostly necessary for established fans. Some kid going into this completely new probably wouldn't be scratching their head at the lack of those guys (though they might wonder why the intro ends highlighting these three guys not on the main roster). The most important thing is to have a show that entertains and connects with the audience, and I think the show really came out lacking there.

With the cameos we see through the season, and the appearance we see during the intro, it kind of feels like the lack of the big three was due to some internal embargo. Iron Man himself was a part of the West Coast team and only has one forgettable episode.

The people making decisions probably didn't want those guys married to The Avengers team when they could be sold as solo acts.

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
May 28, 2014
I think the reason why the show was canceled was because Saban decided just to do the anime dubs and nothing more. Am I right?
low ratings and Marvel Entertainment was already bankrupt by this point.
All the main players have been licensed off to other companies.
Agree and disagree with this. You’re right it could have been better and there’s nothing inherently wrong with a West Coast Avengers show. But this was the first Avengers show ever, you have to do the classic lineup. Shows like this don’t come around often and you have to do it properly since you’re not getting another chance. It was a decade plus before the Avengers got another shot on TV and it probably wouldn’t have happened if the MCU didn’t get popular and had an Avengers movie in development at the time. Maybe they could have a done a West Coast Avengers show as a spin-off with a similar lineup but this show wasn’t called West Coast Avengers, and it didn’t pretend to portray that team. This was supposed to be the classic Avengers, and they did it wrong. It would have been like if JL/JLU featured a team of Nightwing, Power Girl, Steel and Atom, with Superman or Batman just showing up for one off appearances.
At one point, the minds behind Beast Machines would have been the ones to develop this show o_O
Funny enough the last non-Disney Marvel series was basically an Avengers cartoon + all the other characters they somehow got to play with.

hobbyfan

Jun 9, 2002
Troy NY
What turned me off was giving Wasp & Ant-Man the bug-shaped helmets. Saban must've thought that would attract Big Bad Beetleborgs fans, when a large part of Wasp's appeal is how pretty she is. Giving her a mask kills that.

BTW, the low ratings were because Fox insisted on counter-programming Pokemon and Saban gave them Digimon.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
It's not really a subject worthy of a 20-minute video

1. Writing quality was not there
2. No big names. Ant-Man/Hank was made team leader, which was stupid. Fans wanted a show featuring the Big Three: Cap, Thor, Iron Man. Instead they were relegated to guest appearances. It would've been like making a Justice League series without Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman -- The Trinity -- not being regular characters. Godzilla Mendoza is probably too young to remember, but fans on the forums YES WE HAD INTERNET FORUMS BACK THEN, did not like this show being the B-team. Fans wanted the first Avengers animated show to have the heavy hitters.
3. The show did nonsense like giving the Avengers these dumb suiting up/Power Ranger transformation sequences and costumes/armor to make the show more like Power Rangers and more toyetic.
4. This was sadly an era where all the new Marvel animated shows were trash. Everything went downhill after the cancellation of Silver Surfer. Marvel Animation came back with this show and Spider-Man Unlimited, which were both trash.
5. Likely too much creative control with Avi Arad.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The winner for this Media Brackets competition is Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars, which got 4 votes. Quack Pack got 1 vote. Thanks to everyone for participating. The article is next week.

So, this is fitting. Also, why does this meme only go until September?

Here are the most notable South Asian voices.
The 2015 Fantastic Four film was released 5 years ago today.
Kitschensyngk wrote on Harley's profile.
Who do I contact over at Popgeeks about server problems? I've having difficulties accessing the server to update my website.