Why aren't a lot of CN shows from 2015- onwards talked much?

Latest News & Videos

Nov 20, 2019
Serbia
www.twitch.tv
I noticed in these past few years that many CN shows from 2015- onwards aren't talked as much as other CN shows that came out before. Barely anyone mentions Mighty Magiswords after it ended and during its run, while Craig of the Creek & Summer Camp Island are running, yet there is little discussion of these shows, Apple & Onion and Victor & Valentino are talked and mentioned even less than those shows, Powerpuff Girls 2016 was talked a lot when it came out (and not in a good way) but soon after almost everyone forgot about it, Ben 10 2017 was also ignored but not as much as PPG 2016 . Let's not even begin with all CN's acquisitions CN had/has in this period (expect MAYBE Unikitty). O.K. K.O.! Let's Be Heroes seems to somewhat of an exception, while it wasn't the most talked cartoon of 2010s, it was more acknowledged than other shows I mentioned. It is to early to tell for Infinity Train and Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart how will they be in future, although they seem to be more talked than most of the shows I mentioned. I would only call We Bare Bears to be talked much (and to lesser extent O.K. K.O.!).
While other periods of CN also had shows that aren't really talked or mentioned much, they also had a lot of cartoons that were talked (whenever it was for good or bad), they got more attention than at least 80% of shows that came out in late 2010s.
Is there a reason why they aren't talked as much? Is it because how CN advertises them, or because of schedule or do people were just not interested in these shows? Or is there some other reason?

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Oct 11, 2016
Because most of them are harmless slice of life comedy shows so what's really there to talk about them? They don't have story arcs like Steven Universe or Infinity Train does, they don't have controversy surrounding them like TTG does and their comedy and animation styles aren't memorable enough compared to that of Gumball's or Ed, Edd n Eddy's. Clarence was like this too.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
None of the Cartoon Network shows from 2015 onwards have reached the levels of popularity of the shows from 2010 to 2014.

....okay, I get that you're saying "Why is that the case?" and....I'd have to say....I think it's partially because the bad has outweighed the good since 2015. The PPG/Ben 10 reboots and spamming of Teen Titans Go have taken a toll.

TheJLeeTeam

Keldeo is best Pony
Sep 9, 2018
USA
IIRC I’ve seen almost no discussion about Sym Bionic Titan, Robotomy, Generator Rex, or Thundercats 2011 etc when they were on and those were more geared to older audiences. I’ve seen much more discussion of those shows in recent years. Even Regular Show and Gumball were not that talked about early on. Early this decade when I see Cartoon Network discussions it was either related to Adventure Time, their classic shows, CN Real, and to an extent DC.

Nov 20, 2019
Serbia
www.twitch.tv
Because most of them are harmless slice of life comedy shows so what's really there to talk about them? They don't have story arcs like Steven Universe or Infinity Train does, they don't have controversy surrounding them like TTG does and their comedy and animation styles aren't memorable enough compared to that of Gumball's or Ed, Edd n Eddy's. Clarence was like this too.
I agree with you, although I believe Clarence was talked more than most of late 2010s shows.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Austin, Texas
Maybe these could be some reasons as to why they aren't as recognized.

Perhaps some feel the same way, who knows? Or quantity over quality could be CN's game currently which hasn't had the best results with attracting fans? Advertising lacking any charm for the average joe? Netflix/ DreamWorks cartoons and other channels programming are attracting fans more? Or with bomb formats/hiatuses/ app redirection attention beating the luster of those cartoons nowadays.

Those are some of my guesses, in a way I feel those are criticisms I see nowadays, and could intertwine with the current cartoons of CN. Which is a shame CN does still have it's good cartoons, but those could be factors that could be harming CN's modern cartoon batch.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Oct 11, 2016
Well, there's OK K.O.!
OK K.O was talked about because of its unique premise and art style. Meanwhile, shows like Craig of the Creek, We Bare Bears, Clarence or Apple and Onion are just about 2 or 3 characters hanging out with people where nothing extraordinary happens. What's really there to talk about? They don't have interesting premises, they don't have unique artstyles that makes them stand out, they don't really have anything. Victor and Valentino had a chance to be popular online because of its premise, but they made the show way too repetitive and the characters way too unlikeable for that to happen. I'm not saying that these shows are bad, but they really aren't anything noteworthy and I can definitely understand why not a lot of people talk about them online.

Nov 20, 2019
Serbia
www.twitch.tv
I understand you, but what about shows like Total Drama Presents: the Ridonculous Race, Justice League Action or to lesser extent DC SuperHero Girls? They don't fall into category of harmless slice of life comedy shows and unique animation styles. I know these aren't CN originals, but there were also not CN originals from the past that are/were talked like Total Drama, Teen Titans 2003, Code Lyoko etc... Is it because how CN treated them or something else?

Reactions: Radiant97

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
Justice League Action or to lesser extent DC SuperHero Girls? They don't fall into category of harmless slice of life comedy shows and unique animation styles.
Well, my guess is because they're action comedies, and these days, most people like talking about action shows that are more grounded in reality (whether Cartoon Network or not), shows like Voltron Legendary Defender, She Ra 2018, Young Justice, and Transformers Prime are examples. As for something like Teen Titans Go, which is a divisive series, it's heavy adoration by the network, unlike the shows you mentioned being treated poorly. There's also this preconceived notion, not necessarily on this site, on how the shows could've possibly turned out like Teen Titans Go, hence people not wanting to talk about something that's potentially "Teen Titans Go 2.0".

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Oct 11, 2016
I understand you, but what about shows like Total Drama Presents: the Ridonculous Race, Justice League Action or to lesser extent DC SuperHero Girls? They don't fall into category of harmless slice of life comedy shows and unique animation styles. I know these aren't CN originals, but there were also not CN originals from the past that are/were talked like Total Drama, Teen Titans 2003, Code Lyoko etc... Is it because how CN treated them or something else?
SweetShop209 perfectly explained why not a lot of people talk about DC Super Hero Girls or Justice League Action. As for Total Drama: Presents The Ridonculous Race, a lot of people did talk about it when it was airing in 2015. Not as much as the previous incarnations of Total Drama though, but this is probably because CN didn't really treat the show well. They only started promoting it 2 weeks before its premiere, and the entire show was burned off in a month. Not to mention its inconsistent timeslot. It first began airing on the weekdays at 5 PM but then it got moved to 7:30 PM and the network didn't even bother advertising this new timeslot change.

Reactions: 5YearsOnEastCoast

Radiant97

Azula supremacist
Feb 3, 2018
The Darkest Timeline
Well, my guess is because they're action comedies, and these days, most people like talking about action shows that are more grounded in reality (whether Cartoon Network or not), shows like Voltron Legendary Defender, She Ra 2018, Young Justice, and Transformers Prime are examples. As for something like Teen Titans Go, which is a divisive series, it's heavy adoration by the network, unlike the shows you mentioned being treated poorly. There's also this preconceived notion, not necessarily on this site, on how the shows could've possibly turned out like Teen Titans Go, hence people not wanting to talk about something that's potentially "Teen Titans Go 2.0".
Mao Mao is an action comedy yet it's arguably one of CN's biggest surprise hits in terms of online popularity, which has become a very important metric for most networks nowadays.

SweetShop209 perfectly explained why not a lot of people talk about DC Super Hero Girls or Justice League Action. As for Total Drama: Presents The Ridonculous Race, a lot of people did talk about it when it was airing in 2015. Not as much as the previous incarnations of Total Drama though, but this is probably because CN didn't really treat the show well. They only started promoting it 2 weeks before its premiere, and the entire show was burned off in a month. Not to mention its inconsistent timeslot. It first began airing on the weekdays at 5 PM but then it got moved to 7:30 PM and the network didn't even bother advertising this new timeslot change.
Yeah I think it almost always comes down to each individual show's treatment. JLA initially had relatively high ratings for its crappy timeslot and there was quite a lot of hype for DC Superhero Girls, hell even 4chan loves it (though mostly for the female characters). I bet they could've been big hits had CN treated and advertised them properly.

Reactions: 5YearsOnEastCoast

NeoplanDan

Just Think Twice Before You Say Anything
Apr 24, 2016
USA
www.youtube.com
IIRC I’ve seen almost no discussion about Sym Bionic Titan, Robotomy, Generator Rex, or Thundercats 2011 etc when they were on and those were more geared to older audiences. I’ve seen much more discussion of those shows in recent years. Even Regular Show and Gumball were not that talked about early on. Early this decade when I see Cartoon Network discussions it was either related to Adventure Time, their classic shows, CN Real, and to an extent DC.
Robotomy wasn’t even popular when compared to others.

NeoplanDan

Just Think Twice Before You Say Anything
Apr 24, 2016
USA
www.youtube.com
OK K.O was talked about because of its unique premise and art style. Meanwhile, shows like Craig of the Creek, We Bare Bears, Clarence or Apple and Onion are just about 2 or 3 characters hanging out with people where nothing extraordinary happens. What's really there to talk about? They don't have interesting premises, they don't have unique artstyles that makes them stand out, they don't really have anything. Victor and Valentino had a chance to be popular online because of its premise, but they made the show way too repetitive and the characters way too unlikeable for that to happen. I'm not saying that these shows are bad, but they really aren't anything noteworthy and I can definitely understand why not a lot of people talk about them online.
But taken note that, not all lore-ridden shows need any premises to make them more notable in terms of discussions, the subsequent use of a show needing a "unique premises" is just a lame excuse to say that what show just needs. It all depends on how writers and creators handles the structure of the show, including characters or the theme, that relate to others and how they will something from the show. You can one show that filled with lore or storylines that may try to interest the viewers, that may turn out lackluster or weak and have a SOL show that may draw the attention better than the previous example. I think that you’re overlooking on how the shows hat you put previously mentioned that they aren’t "unique" or interesting enough to others to talk more on, remember these shows still have fans that will sometimes agree about the show and some that will hold account against you for criticizing it. And you can’t always say that there aren’t anything interesting to talk about, unless anyone willing to hook up something that they can learn from the show.

Reactions: Zanneck

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Oct 11, 2016
But taken note that, not all lore-ridden shows need any premises to make them more notable in terms of discussions, the subsequent use of a show needing a "unique premises" is just a lame excuse to say that what show just needs. It all depends on how writers and creators handles the structure of the show, including characters or the theme, that relate to others and how they will something from the show. You can one show that filled with lore or storylines that may try to interest the viewers, that may turn out lackluster or weak and have a SOL show that may draw the attention better than the previous example. I think that you’re overlooking on how the shows hat you put previously mentioned that they aren’t "unique" or interesting enough to others to talk more on, remember these shows still have fans that will sometimes agree about the show and some that will hold account against you for criticizing it. And you can’t always say that there aren’t anything interesting to talk about, unless anyone willing to hook up something that they can learn from the show.
And OK K.O did just that. It had an unique premise, characters and story written well enough to have lots of people talking about the series. Its animation style also made it stand out compared to the other shows CN has been airing recently. The other shows I mentioned do have fans, I never said that they don't. I just said that they aren't as popular on the internet, and that's because there isn't anything about them that makes them stand out. We Bare Bears for example is more popular than OK K.O, heck, it's probably the most popular CN show of all times in Asia, yet more people talk about Ok K.O on the internet. Interesting right?

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Unpopular opinion that I know this is, I'm proudly following through with it, anyway: As someone who actually likes We Bare Bears, Clarence, and definitely Craig of the Creek (unlike most of the net out there), I have to agree with THIS (Oh God, THIS!) - these shows, in one way or another, actually are (for those that ended, were.) something special to me, as they have each (in one way or another) done a better job entertaining me than what people on the net usually tend to obsess over, honestly.

Reactions: RainbowCupcake

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
May 28, 2014
And OK K.O did just that. It had an unique premise, characters and story written well enough to have lots of people talking about the series. Its animation style also made it stand out compared to the other shows CN has been airing recently. The other shows I mentioned do have fans, I never said that they don't. I just said that they aren't as popular on the internet, and that's because there isn't anything about them that makes them stand out. We Bare Bears for example is more popular than OK K.O, heck, it's probably the most popular CN show of all times in Asia, yet more people talk about Ok K.O on the internet. Interesting right?
My guess on We Be Bears's Asian popularity is on account of the direct Asian influences.
Do more people talk about OK KO on the internet?
It is a grab-bag series of a few parodies (DBZ, Sonic, Naruto, My Hero, Regular Show) - a geek's fantasy,
but WBB is more accessible - cute bears do cute things.

@5YearsOnEastCoast
Did you compare pre-2015 CN shows with post-2015 CN shows on google trends?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019
Serbia
www.twitch.tv
My guess on We Be Bears's Asian popularity is on account of the direct Asian influences.
Do more people talk about OK KO on the internet?
It is a grab-bag series of a few parodies (DBZ, Sonic, Naruto, My Hero, Regular Show) - a geek's fantasy,
but WBB is more accessible - cute bears do cute things.

@5YearsOnEastCoast
Did you compare pre-2015 CN shows with post-2015 CN shows on google trends?
Not yet, should I check it out? I just observed how a lot of pre 2015 shows had more replies to talkback threads, more themes regarding them, fanart and other fanwork compared to almost any late 2010s CN show.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mostezli

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

With all of these cartoon revivals in past few months, I wonder what will be the next cartoon to be revived?
I was surprised to find out how many Millennials and Gen Z'ers have heard of The Music Man from 1957. These two groups probably know many old films but just don't talk about them.
We have a tie of 1 vote each. I'll be tiebreaker. TOTS moves to the next round. We start round 3, with the first matchup being between Muppet Babies 2018 and Helpsters .

Great scott! "Back to the Future" was released 35 years ago today.
What's the deal with making all these zombie and Venomzied versions of different Marvel characters? I know why($$$), but still, they probably might frighten some people, I reckon.