Why Are Modern Animation/Media Fans So Entitled/Ungreatful?

SourSweetGone

Simultaneously Too Old &Too Young For The Internet
Is it just me or despite being in an arguable golden age of televised and streaming animation, fans of animation (and similar media like comics) are some of the most negative, pessimistic, entitled man-babies to ever walk the face of the Earth!? I mean I understand everyone has their own preferences, but I feel so many people are blinded by a mixture of their own nostalgia and personal hang-ups they can't fully enjoy the multitude of great works of art & entertainment out there!

And don't get me wrong, there's a butt load of stuff still wrong with the entertainment industry itself in how poorly it treats freelancers, how corporations are cannibalizing one another to make creepy arse mega-corps, etc. But speaking solely of the actual shows, comics, etc themselves, we arguably have more quality content then ever before, so why is it all these hard working animators, story board artists, writers, etc have to put-up with so many entitled lunatics online and why do so many people feel the need to make overly negative youtube videos for easy clicks!? I mean criticism is one thing, but lets be honest most negative YT vids are just people screaming at your screen why [Insert thing here] is bad and you're an idiot if you like it, or "dern millinals/sjw's ruined mah childhood" or some other B.S. like that.

So why is it that so many supposed fans/nerds/whatever that claim to love a thing are often the most destructive/toxic part of it!?

Mandouga

I think the real question is, is that how they really feel? I mean, yes, a number of people are entitled/ungrateful, but it could also be that at least some of them are just trolls who are just posting all that stuff just see how people react. Even then, some people are just so jaded/disillusioned that they'll even complain about things they like about a show, in addition to the things they hate. Of course, there are going to be people who (seem to) expect to much from a show. There's also people who don't seem to care what they post as long as they do (i.e., they're not trolling, they just don't care either way).

In short, some people just don't want others to have fun with a show. What we have to do is look for the criticism that isn't biased towards people's own personal expectations of a show (or biased towards what people think others want to hear*). After all, we can't just ignore the problems, especially if they legitimately get in the way of a movie or show. We have to look at every side of a movie or show, especially if the script possibly ends up reflecting how the writers feel about the audience they're going for. I mean, you can't always (repeat: "always") take a show or movie at face value. That said, we shouldn't assume that a (legitimate) criticism is based on personal expectations either. It can be difficult, but there is criticism that's actually fair and reasonable. We just have to find it.

*Right, IGN?...

SourSweetGone

I think the real question is, is that how they really feel? I mean, yes, a number of people are entitled/ungrateful, but it could also be that at least some of them are just trolls who are just posting all that stuff just see how people react. Even then, some people are just so jaded/disillusioned that they'll even complain about things they like about a show, in addition to the things they hate. Of course, there are going to be people who (seem to) expect to much from a show. There's also people who don't seem to care what they post as long as they do (i.e., they're not trolling, they just don't care either way).

In short, some people just don't want others to have fun with a show. What we have to do is look for the criticism that isn't biased towards people's own personal expectations of a show (or biased towards what people think others want to hear*). After all, we can't just ignore the problems, especially if they legitimately get in the way of a movie or show. We have to look at every side of a movie or show, especially if the script possibly ends up reflecting how the writers feel about the audience they're going for. I mean, you can't always (repeat: "always") take a show or movie at face value. That said, we shouldn't assume that a (legitimate) criticism is based on personal expectations either. It can be difficult, but there is criticism that's actually fair and reasonable. We just have to find it.

*Right, IGN?...

True, valid critique of any work of fiction in any medium is more then welcome. Sadly I feel the vast majority of "Criticism" online from both fans and professionals alike usually comes from an overtly entitled and pessimistic (and sometimes very bigoted, narrow minded or misogynistic mindset) I feel most people in general just far to easily fall for the absolutes of "this is the best thing ever" or "this sucks and is the worst thing ever" type mindsets. I am guilty of this as well of course (usually the former because I like to be positive about my hobbies/interests) But I feel its OK to acknowledge that something can be good and just not be for you, which alot of people don't seem to get. Or that even really good things can have legitimate elements to critique without the criticism being flat out bashing.

I fear The VileOne May be right, Social Media may have made us all to reactionary in both extremes to talk about media properly for the most part these days.

But yea, people gotta learn they can express disinterest in something without poo-pooing it or attacking anyone who does like it.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Unfair and overly emotional criticism has become a product.

If you don't like that, then all you can do is stop clicking on these videos and articles and hope that others do the same thing.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Honestly, I blame places like 4/8/whatever-chan and YouTube/pther vidya sites for coming down too hard on actually good/decent cartoons and propping up anime way too much for its own good.

Being a Western cartoonist / fan of such is not as fun or rewarding as it should be, anymore, and that sucks, IMHO, as the West have currently produced far more enjoyable cartoons I'd recommend any day over any anime everyone obsesses over right now.

I mean, look at the lack of videos / places covering the medium (Western fare) and dismissing it as immature nothingness, compared to anime... it's not just sad, it's anger-inducingly annoying for me that the stigma of cartoons being only kids' stuff and you're dumb if you like it or prefer it over stuff like anime (again, I know I do.) is still a big thing and not getting any less bigger.

Again, 4/8/whatever-chan, social media, vidya sites with people spewing their obsessive nonsense... I blame all these things and more.

SourSweetGone

Honestly, I blame places like 4/8/whatever-chan and YouTube/pther vidya sites for coming down too hard on actually good/decent cartoons and propping up anime way too much for its own good.

Being a Western cartoonist / fan of such is not as fun or rewarding as it should be, anymore, and that sucks, IMHO, as the West have currently produced far more enjoyable cartoons I'd recommend any day over any anime everyone obsesses over right now.

I mean, look at the lack of videos / places covering the medium (Western fare) and dismissing it as immature nothingness, compared to anime... it's not just sad, it's anger-inducingly annoying for me that the stigma of cartoons being only kids' stuff and you're dumb if you like it or prefer it over stuff like anime (again, I know I do.) is still a big thing and not getting any less bigger.

Again, 4/8/whatever-chan, social media, vidya sites with people spewing their obsessive nonsense... I blame all these things and more.

Yea letting trolls and the worst kind of people fester in places deffinently didn't help.

And I agree that the ridiculous and false narrative written around the anime/toon dichotomy is just silly. Heck most shonen anime are just generic/cliche young Male power fantasies and they have a whole subset of genres dedicated to the juvenile & misogynistic objectification/hyper sexualization of young women with ecchi & harem shows. Not to mention that side of the medium has stagnated content wise most of the 21st century and visually has depended on the same 3-4 generic styles for the past near 35 years.

The bigger irony is many toons these days like Steven Universe, Star VS, MLP/Equestria Girls, Mysticons, etc were partially inspired by the magical girl anime genre, one of the few genres that thankfully tried to be more progressive/feminist back in the day with shows like Sailor Moon, Utena, Cardcaptors, etc. Before the 21st century came and most of the industry decided it wanted to just be generic soft core wank material.

But yea the toon/anime divide is silly. It's all animation and people should just learn to love the medium as a whole and work through its strengths and weaknesses on both sides of the coin.

Zanneck

Yea letting trolls and the worst kind of people fester in places deffinently didn't help.

And I agree that the ridiculous and false narrative written around the anime/toon dichotomy is just silly. Heck most shonen anime are just generic/cliche young Male power fantasies and they have a whole subset of genres dedicated to the juvenile & misogynistic objectification/hyper sexualization of young women with ecchi & harem shows. Not to mention that side of the medium has stagnated content wise most of the 21st century and visually has depended on the same 3-4 generic styles for the past near 35 years.

The bigger irony is many toons these days like Steven Universe, Star VS, MLP/Equestria Girls, Mysticons, etc were partially inspired by the magical girl anime genre, one of the few genres that thankfully tried to be more progressive/feminist back in the day with shows like Sailor Moon, Utena, Cardcaptors, etc. Before the 21st century came and most of the industry decided it wanted to just be generic soft core wank material.

But yea the toon/anime divide is silly. It's all animation and people should just learn to love the medium as a whole and work through its strengths and weaknesses on both sides of the coin.

I may not like/agree with all your examples, I admit - I'd rather not get into an argument about it either, simply because you don't know how right you truly are and how much this stigma is annoying and hurts everyone. Thank you for understanding what I'm trying to say and keep on kicking butt.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Unfair and overly emotional criticism has become a product.

If you don't like that, then all you can do is stop clicking on these videos and articles and hope that others do the same thing.
I now realize how hard it is to follow my own advice. These hate channels are disguised as channels about animation reviews.

"Diamondbolt" is an one I just discovered. What a terrible channel it is. He has series like "Ruined Forever" and "Cherished Forever". Notice how all cartoons from his childhood are cherished, and all modern cartoons are ruined.

At first I thought his channel could be quite interesting and wonderd what he would think of my favorite modern action / adventure cartoons. Instead I found out that he makes 1 hour podcasts ranting about 1 picture of any upcoming cartoon he thinks hopes will be terrible. And then that video "The Problem with Modern Cartoons", yeah, I'm done.

He thinks modern cartoons are too goofy, yet someone cherishes the original Teen Titans, the goofiest action cartoon ever made :rolleyes: And then he wonders why adult animation fans hated it so much in 2003!

I am quite pissed that I sat through the ads, and thus gave him money to make even more hate videos.

Zanneck

I now realize how hard it is to follow my own advice. These hate channels are disguised as channels about animation reviews.

"Diamondbolt" is an one I just discovered. What a terrible channel it is. He has series like "Ruined Forever" and "Cherished Forever". Notice how all cartoons from his childhood are cherished, and all modern cartoons are ruined.

At first I thought his channel could be quite interesting and wonderd what he would think of my favorite modern action / adventure cartoons. Instead I found out that he makes 1 hour podcasts ranting about 1 picture of any upcoming cartoon he thinks hopes will be terrible. And then that video "The Problem with Modern Cartoons", yeah, I'm done.

He thinks modern cartoons are too goofy, yet someone cherishes the original Teen Titans, the goofiest action cartoon ever made :rolleyes: And then he wonders why adult animation fans hated it so much in 2003!

I am quite pissed that I sat through the ads, and thus gave him money to make even more hate videos.

Don't feel bad - most YTbers who do cartoon reviews who aren't Pan-Pizza, MarsReviews, or as I've discovered, Saberspark, need to be ignored, as they're NOT good at it, especially Mr. Enter and PhantomStrider, who definitely need to be ignored for being so uneducated and overly emotional over the dumbest crap, IMHO - people like these are giving people who are legit critical of Western fare, but do so because we like/love it regardless (like myself) a bad name.

chocolate

Mentally Still in 2016
Modern fans of Animation aren't so entitled, they are a bit more expressive and critical of shows before and now.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It's the fault of those darn 90's kids!!! They think they were the greatest generation when it comes to animation!! ....EDIT: If it needs clarified: I'm joking. I can appreciate modern animation while holding a nostalgic fondness for the old stuff.

I moved this thread to the General Animation forum, as it's a discussion of animation fandom.

SourSweetGone

Modern fans of Animation aren't so entitled, they are a bit more expressive and critical of shows before and now.

If by expressive you mean whining about how everything in the world isn't made solely to cater to them then sure.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts