Who doesn't celebrate Halloween?

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
Am I the only one who feels that Halloween is really just for young children? I used to celebrate by trick or treating and attending various events in my costumes. But as soon as I started high school, I pretty much stopped celebrating the holiday. For Halloween, I just watch various movies and TV specials, such as A Charlie Brown Halloween and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

And one unusual habit I have: I tend to listen to a lot of Christmas music beginning around late October. My local radio station starts playing Christmas music on Halloween.

Are there any other forum members that do not celebrate the holiday?

slai

Reporter
Reporter
I haven’t dressed up for Halloween since kindergarten. I do like the pumpkins though and Halloween specials.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I stopped dressing up and going trick or treating when I was ten. I still remember feeling so uncomfortable walking around with this giant werewolf mask and cape. I don't think it was necessarily feeling like I was too old for it. I just felt uncomfortable and it wasn't really fun. I'm not sure about Halloween being just for really young kids. Plenty of my classmates kept up trick or treating through middle school and a bit into high school. Plenty of adults still enjoy dressing up on Halloween for parties or just for fun as well.

Personally, I just spend some time watching Halloween movies and specials. I'll usually watch a movie on Halloween night and give out candies to the trick or treaters that come to the door. I still see it as kind of celebrating the holiday, even though I don't dress up for it, but I don't think it's really uncommon for people to not do much for Halloween either.

NeoplanDan

Just Think Twice Before You Say Anything
Hadn’t did it since I was four, I remembered being dressed up as Woody from Toy Story.

Radiant97

Jewel Runner
We Indonesians don't celebrate Halloween, but Halloween parties are held in some places, two of which I've been to, in 2016 and 2018, so ironically I only celebrated Halloween after high school. Didn't dress up for either of them but I did bring a Guy Fawkes mask to the last one. Not planning on going this year because I've been pretty busy and frankly I'm too lazy. I'll just rewatch Over the Garden Wall or something.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Aren't you in Belgium? Do they even have Halloween there? If not, that's not a brag.
My mother didn't allow it. She didn't want us to play on the street. And most neighbours were retired and grumpy anyway, they would never give us candy. When we sold something for charity, they all pretended like nobody was home :sweat:

Our forefathers had something like Halloween, but it got Christianized to All Saints' Eve. The original fest became heresy. The same thing happened with Yule (now "Christmas") and all other fests besides Carnaval.

There are lots of "American" Halloween parties here and people carve pumpkins. That's an American tradition that we adopted. (pumpkins aren't native to Europe)

Our stores also celebrate Black Friday nowadays, even though Thanksgiving is not a thing here :sweat:

Greg91

Reporter
Same, I've never celebrated Halloween before because my mom didn't allow it either. Her reason was a bit different though. The themes of Halloween (i.e. witches, werewolves, ghosts, vampires) were the reason she wasn't allowed to celebrate Halloween and that continued in my childhood. I don't even think my dad had Halloween when he was growing up so he was never opposed to the Halloween ban in my house.

Dr.Pepper

I want to celebrate a Halloween but I don’t really have an outlet for it. The closest thing is the school that I work at.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
I thought this was a "religious beliefs" question, but it seems to be more of a "are you too old?" question or "do you even bother with dressing up?" question.

My family and I celebrate Halloween, but only in a "it's a children's holiday" fashion.

When I was a kid, I stopped dressing up after age 13. After that, I remember attending with friends a church "lock in" activity overnight for Halloween, over the next few years.

Then a few years later, when I was 18 years old, I helped a new friend decorate his lawn for Halloween, scaring kids as they came up to ring the door. We bought dry ice (to create fog) and everything. I guess my friend did this all the time each year. After the kids stopped coming to the door, we went out trick or treating for ourselves, in our monster costumes, but I have to admit at the end of the night, I felt too old for door to door knocking. I guess it's a comfort level thing - I didn't feel comfortable with it, my friend still did. But I never went door to door (in costume myself) again.

I did attend some costume parties though, one time in college, and another time a couple years after graduating college. One time because I was wanting to win a superhero costume contest at the local comic book shop, the other because my girlfriend at the time wanted to do a Halloween party (it just turned into a beer drinking party, not my kind of thing).

Now I have kids. I'm of the belief Halloween is best served as a children's holiday. Due to religious beliefs, we decorate more for Fall than for Halloween (friendly scarecrows and pumpkins vs. scary scarecrows and jack-o-lanterns). Though we do have one of those animatronic "jumping spiders" that we put out just for a few scare/laughs.

We do let our kids dress up, but nothing monster-ish or undead-ish. Superheroes and cartoon characters. That sorta thing. But this may be the last year my oldest son dresses up (he feels he's getting too old for it).

Last edited:

Dantheman

I dressed up for Halloween and went trick or treating until I was in seventh grade, then my parents decided I was getting too old for that and I just didn't do that any more. Which is fine, because I live in a rural area that's pretty hard to do trick-or-treating in, and most of the older folks in my area probably wouldn't give out treats to anyone who was high-school age or older.

RegularCapital

Halloween wasn't really celebrated that much when I was a kid, we thought it was more of an American thing, I did have a Jack-o-lantern every few years or so, there was some Halloween stuff but very minimal, as years gone by it has grown, I think that the fact we have a school holiday during the same week helps too. Although Halloween did originate from Ireland (and used to be celebrated in the Celtic nations of the UK), it was the United States that made it what it is today.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Halloween in Portugal is not common - at least in the American sense of it. Trick-or-treating became a regular occurrence in the past few years. Until then, people only dressed up in standard Halloween dresses to go to Halloween parties on the 31st or to go to school on the same day (for many years, with the exception of the period between 2013 and 2015, the 1st of November was and still is a national holiday, so that kids would be comfortable doing Halloween parties and the like here). However interest in Halloween is decreasing and they're pushing Christmas way too early (like the Philppines).

And then there's Disney Channel, who used to be at the center of Halloween culture, with their monthly getaways, mostly at primetime, with Halloween specials of extant series and some seasonal DCOMs. Unfortunately the month-long practice ended when Disney Channel rebranded in 2014 and replaced it with decreasingly dull (in terms of scheduling) Halloween specials, and as the years went on the number of days decreased. Then there's the whole rigamarole of putting Halloween specials on the 1st of November, when in reality we aren't Mexico and we don't observe the Day of the Dead, but it's more of it being a national holiday.

Last October 31, the Portuguese film channels were showing close to zero Halloween films - not even Syfy or AMC. We might not have themed film channels (especially the subscription ones) so there's no compensation. Besides the terrestrial channels don't observe the date by showing anything special - they all believe that with cable everywhere, there's no need for special schedules outside of Christmas.

So yeah, these were my two cents on the situation of Halloween here. And I'm not saying that "Halloween is for kids" as another user pointed out here, despite claiming the opposite. Even teens and young adults go to Halloween parties, but that's that. There's not a lot of spookiness in our Halloween these days.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Welcome MTV 00's!
(Video by TVArculatBomba)

My new favourite music channel with my favourite musics from my childhood! :)
I wish a happy birthday to Corey Burton (66) (voice of Professor Ludwig Von Drake for over 30 years, as well as Megatron on Transformers Animated), Sumalee Montano (49) (voice of Arcee on Transformers Prime and Katana on Beware The Batman), and Travis Willingham (40) (voice of King Roland on Sofia The First and Thor on many Marvel cartoons since Avengers Assemble).
My grandfather just passed away…

The winner of this matchup is Happy Birthday Scooby Doo, which got 3 votes. A Scooby Doo Valentine got 0 votes. The next matchup is Birthday For A Princess. It's between "Surprise" from Cleopatra In Space and "The Birthday Cruise" from Elena Of Avalor.
After the animated movie announcement, did not at all think a live-action TMNT was still in development.

Featured Posts