Which Rock Band Was More Popular In 2002: Nickelback OR Linkin Park?

Which Rock Band Was More Popular In 2002: Nickelback OR Linkin Park

• Total voters

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I know both were neck and neck, but in terms of fan and critical support, Linkin Park, nuff said. While Nickelback was popular in the Noughties, they're divisive and was once referred to some as the most hated band in history. That and some people like to pick on Canadian music acts (with notable examples being Drake, Shawn Mendes, Justin Bieber, Avril Lavigne etc), not if you're a fan of Alanis Morissette (to the point that she was more beloved in the States than in her native Canada when she released Jagged Little Pill and that Canadians at the time saw her as a teen popstar, given that her pre-1995 material was under the teen pop genre), Rush, Arcade Fire, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Devin Townsend etc.

ZHDBZ1994

Banned
I know both were neck and neck, but in terms of fan and critical support, Linkin Park, nuff said. While Nickelback was popular in the Noughties, they're divisive and was once referred to some as the most hated band in history. That and some people like to pick on Canadian music acts (with notable examples being Drake, Shawn Mendes, Justin Bieber, Avril Lavigne etc), not if you're a fan of Alanis Morissette (to the point that she was more beloved in the States than in her native Canada when she released Jagged Little Pill and that Canadians at the time saw her as a teen popstar, given that her pre-1995 material was under the teen pop genre), Rush, Arcade Fire, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Devin Townsend etc.

Yes, but you forget that 2002 was the peak of "How You Remind Me" and it was a #1 hit on the US Billboard Hot 100 and it was the most played song of the decade. Chad Kroger also formed with Josey Scott of Saliva to do the massive hit "Hero" for the soundtrack of Spider-Man (2002) which hit #3 on the US Billboard Hot 100, which made Chad Kroger an even bigger celebrity and greatly made Nickelback even more huge than they already were.

Also this was well before the band released All The Right Reasons (2005) and well before songs like "Photograph" and "Rockstar" became massive hits, so the band was still seen as this new and hot, exciting, cutting edge hard rock band and they were far becoming the giant punchline in music they would later (and most unfortunately become as I love Nickelback) become.

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Probably Nickelback, I’m mostly certain that their heavy notoriety was present back then.

Ironically enough, Linkin Park is the one I despise. Nickelback is quite decent every now-and-then.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Yes, but you forget that 2002 was the peak of "How You Remind Me" and it was a #1 hit on the US Billboard Hot 100 and it was the most played song of the decade. Chad Kroger also formed with Josey Scott of Saliva to do the massive hit "Hero" for the soundtrack of Spider-Man (2002) which hit #3 on the US Billboard Hot 100, which made Chad Kroger an even bigger celebrity and greatly made Nickelback even more huge than they already were.

Also this was well before the band released All The Right Reasons (2005) and well before songs like "Photograph" and "Rockstar" became massive hits, so the band was still seen as this new and hot, exciting, cutting edge hard rock band and they were far becoming the giant punchline in music they would later (and most unfortunately become as I love Nickelback) become.
Let me clarify on that. I'm not forgetting on that "How You Remind Me" was a big hit since it's one of my favourite 2000s rock songs along with Kroeger's inclusion on "Hero". All I'm saying is that Linkin Park was more popular with critics than Nickelback, though in terms of chart success at the time, then yes Nickelback wins but that being said, I like both bands.

Also, I would like to point out that they did face backlash after that "throwing rocks at them incident" performance in Portugal at which Kroeger said "Have we got any Nickelback fans in Portugal?"

Pooky

Staff member
My experience with Nickleback was that they were very divisive from the start of their fame. I knew a few people who couldn't stand them back in 2002. I didn't really get why personally, they certainly didn't seem any worse to me than a lot of the American Rock my friends did like at the time, but there's just always been something about them that rubs people the wrong way.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I know I was heavy into Linkin Park as a teenager. Being a huge rap fan already and then getting a bit into "nu-metal", they were a group that really struck a chord with me.

Nickelback in 2002 was a group I only knew due to Hero from the Spider-Man soundtrack. I felt as though I started hearing much more about them a few years later, whether it was for stuff like how huge they were or how much hate they were getting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
My experience with Nickleback was that they were very divisive from the start of their fame. I knew a few people who couldn't stand them back in 2002. I didn't really get why personally, they certainly didn't seem any worse to me than a lot of the American Rock my friends did like at the time, but there's just always been something about them that rubs people the wrong way.
Heck, I prefer them over Creed and the only song from the latter I like is "With Arms Wide Open".

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts