• Mob Psycho

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • One Punch Man

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Nov 1, 2013
OPM for me is a pretty good show with great animation, character designs and writing. It's both a parody of the superhero and battle shonen genre but owes a lot of respect towards all the while being sort of a critique towards Japanese society. Mob Psycho 100 shares all of this qualties but also improves on them, the animation isn't only great but very experimental, the characters are all deep and interesting and the humor takes advantage of the character designs

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
It's been awhile since I've watched One Punch Man, but I think even if I rewatched the first season, I'd still prefer Mob Psycho 100. OPM has some really great action scenes and comedy, but I felt like they played tone a bit too straight after the first few episodes. The whole conflict with the different superheroes and villains just came off a bit too serious. I think part of the issue is that I thought that the series would be more comedy based with some action based on the first couple of episodes, but it turned out the opposite.

It is still a really fun series. The comedy is great, the action scenes are pretty awesome and I still hope that Toonami picks up season two whenever possible, but I do think that they played things a bit too straight.

Mob Psycho 100 definitely has better characters. Mob is a more interesting lead than Saitama, or at least a more relatable one to me, Mob and Reigen have a nice dynamic and most of the supporting characters get a good chance to shine or something to make them stand out. I didn't think Mob's brother would be anything more than a background character, but Ritsu going mad with power and exploring his relationship with Mob was great. Mob and Saitama are both overpowered leads and that works for both of them, but I do like that we saw Mob struggle with some opponents, as well as with his morals in regards to using his powers against people.

The more serious tone also kind of works more with this series since I didn't expect to be mostly comedy like I did with OPM. It still has comedy and it can be funny, but it felt like they were playing things mostly straight from the start, so dealing with the Claw organization didn't feel strange or jarring compared to the first few episodes. It felt more like a natural progression. Oddly enough, I was so sure that Mob Psycho 100 would be more episodic based on the first couple of episodes. Both series are pretty good and I hope that Toonami will air their continuations, but I think Mob Psycho 100 leaves a stronger impression on me than OPM did.

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
U.S.A.
OPM is fine, I guess. The action is great, of course, but the story has always felt pretty one-note and unfocused to me. Whereas Mob Psycho feels more cohesive and it feels like it has more going on.

K7P5V

Aug 6, 2017
It's been awhile since I've watched One Punch Man, but I think even if I rewatched the first season, I'd still prefer Mob Psycho 100. OPM has some really great action scenes and comedy, but I felt like they played tone a bit too straight after the first few episodes. The whole conflict with the different superheroes and villains just came off a bit too serious. I think part of the issue is that I thought that the series would be more comedy based with some action based on the first couple of episodes, but it turned out the opposite.

It is still a really fun series. The comedy is great, the action scenes are pretty awesome and I still hope that Toonami picks up season two whenever possible, but I do think that they played things a bit too straight.

Mob Psycho 100 definitely has better characters. Mob is a more interesting lead than Saitama, or at least a more relatable one to me, Mob and Reigen have a nice dynamic and most of the supporting characters get a good chance to shine or something to make them stand out. I didn't think Mob's brother would be anything more than a background character, but Ritsu going mad with power and exploring his relationship with Mob was great. Mob and Saitama are both overpowered leads and that works for both of them, but I do like that we saw Mob struggle with some opponents, as well as with his morals in regards to using his powers against people.

The more serious tone also kind of works more with this series since I didn't expect to be mostly comedy like I did with OPM. It still has comedy and it can be funny, but it felt like they were playing things mostly straight from the start, so dealing with the Claw organization didn't feel strange or jarring compared to the first few episodes. It felt more like a natural progression. Oddly enough, I was so sure that Mob Psycho 100 would be more episodic based on the first couple of episodes. Both series are pretty good and I hope that Toonami will air their continuations, but I think Mob Psycho 100 leaves a stronger impression on me than OPM did.
Agreed. Both have excellent animation. But, as you said, Mob Psycho 100 is a bit more substantial than OPM in certain areas. However, I've always felt OPM had potential. It all depends on which direction the creators will take the series and how they utilize their interesting ideas.

Reactions: Light Lucario

Mr. Anime

Sep 12, 2006
New York
I think that the question can better answered once both their second seasons have been completed. Through right now at the moment, Mob Psycho definitely has the clear edge while OPM may be in for some trouble due to changing animation studios.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Any news about the "Magia Record" anime?
Please stop blaming "Teen Titans Go!" for any cancelation of a Cartoon Network show.
Why did SDCC have to happen during the same weekend as Vinesauce Is Hope?
With how widespread the Joy-Con analog drift issue is, I'm honestly surprised I haven't had that issue yet. I've had my console for almost two years.
Is Nick doing anything for SDCC