Which is better, Nickelodeon or Disney Channel?

wammyguide

I'd have to go with Nickelodeon. There are a few shows on Nickelodeon I actually like, but Disney Channel is just so painful for me to watch nowadays.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
If you'd asked this maybe five or ten years ago, I would've said that both channels were on par. Neither network had anything good to showcase. Nickelodeon had Avatar, which was the only advantage I could think of, but having one good show doesn't automatically make a network better than the other.

Nowadays, I can say that Disney has the upper hand. Thanks to the old Cartoon Network alumni settling there, they actually have shows that are worth watching (Gravity Falls, Phineas & Ferb, Motorcity, Wander Over Yonder, Mickey Mouse...), while Nickelodeon still has Avatar being its only trump card.

Sonic_Eclipse

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
I haven't truly enjoyed Nick since the 90's, but I've enjoyed their other shows like; Invader Zim, Avatar, Jimmy Neutron, Kung-Fu Panda, Drake & Josh, iCarly, Victorious, even Spongebob at one point.

But I gotta say Nick's only gotten worse since the end of iCarly, and the cancellation of Victorious. Now it seems like they only green light the same badly acted shows that Disney has like; The Haunted Hathaways, and The Thunderman's. As much I've tried I can't get into Sam & Cat, and then theres other awful shows like; Marvin Marvin, Fred, How to Rock, Big Time Rush, TUFF Puppy and other garbage. How does anybody watch that annoying Rabbid's show?

The only shows I watch Nick for is TMNT, and Legend of Korra. I thought Wendell & Vinnie was okay, but they cancelled it. Other than that I don't care for the endless Fairly Odd Parents, and Spongebob spam, and the terrible live action shows they have.

The last show I enjoyed on the Disney Channel was Kim Possible, which was a long time ago. The recent Mickey shorts are nice, but I watch those on the web. Everything else on there is terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
I'll answer, but my opinion may be unfair, as I seldom watched Disney. Maybe a few times as a tyke and a few more times when I was a little older. I was strictly a Nickelodeon watcher growing up in the 90s. Don't remember how it started. Parents tuned it there and I just watched and gradually grew into it or others got me into it. I never gave Disney a fair chance, so I missed out on a lot of programming it had to offer.

I at least know I liked Nickelodeon, cause it was really starting to produce a lot of terrific originals people hold dear to today and savor anything they can from them. While my knowledge on Disney is flat, I'm aware they also produced a lot of great originals that fans of those shows hold to heart. Nickelodeon felt more edgy with certain show's content. I'm not sure if Disney did anything like that, but for me, the Y7 maturity was a heightened thing for Nick that brought on laughs to jokes we may have never seen coming. So while again, my opinion is unfair, biased and probably lacking many things toward Disney, I'd go with Nick as the better.

Getouttamylab!

Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool
Well, the only thing I find watchable on Nickelodeon now is Spongebob (sometimes) and Sanjay and Craig, (I'm not really interested in Avatar to be quite honest -_-) but I've always liked Nick's pre-2005 shows the best. Disney had a lot of great stuff back then as well (and even now there's P&F, GF, WoY), so it's a tough decision. I think Cartoon Network is my favorite channel for more modern animation, to be quite honest, but Nick was where it's at back then.

Favorite Channel for 90s-early 2000s: Nickelodeon
Favorite Channel for mid-late 2000s: Cartoon Network (I know it isn't a choice stated by the OP but that's pretty much it.)
Favorite Channel for late 2000s- : Tie between CN and Disney Channel (for the animated programs)

Light Lucario

Staff member
This doesn't seem like a good topic. It's bound to make Disney fans and Nick fans go at each other's necks.

The topic is fine as long as people explain their reasons calmly without getting at each others' throats. If it does get to that point, then a moderator will step in to calm things down.

Anyway, I think that I'll go with Nickelodeon. I don't watch much of their shows, but I think that I watch it more often than Disney Channel shows. I primarily watch it for Korra, TMNT and Digimon Fusion, the latter two I seriously need to catch up on. Outside of Sam and Cat, their recent live action shows haven't really appealed to me. Disney only has Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls and occasionally a movie on to appeal to me. I used to watch Nickelodeon a lot, but most of their shows haven't been too appealing to me for a long time and the fact that they spam their schedule with reruns all the time doesn't help. Still, I think that Nickelodeon has a slight edge over Disney Channel for me due to having a few more shows that I like to watch there.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Okay, Light Lucario. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

In that case, I'm going to go with neither.

The only shows I watch on Disney Channel nowadays are Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder.

The only show I watch on Nick nowadays is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I was never really into Avatar: The Last Airbender as a kid and I'm not into The Legend of Korra either.

On the other hand, I watch at least eight shows on Cartoon Network. In no particular order, I watch Adventure Time, The Amazing World of Gumball, Steven Universe, Total Drama, Uncle Grandpa, Dragons: Defenders of Berk, Teen Titans Go!, and Ben 10: Omniverse.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Yeah I enjoy Uncle Grandpa so what? I think the show is pretty funny, if a little too surreal.

Now let's have the thread get back on track. I have said what I wanted to say.

Aquadementia

That's a lot of Mulaney!
Staff member
I meant with Uncle Grandpa. I find that the show to be one of the stupidest shows ever. I'm fine if you like it though.

Let us not continue with comments of this type.
If someone says they watch a show and that when another person decides to point out it's the stupidest show ever, it's less a commentary about the show and more of an insult to the first person.
But I think you deleted a post to correct things yourself before Gatordragon replied. He was just a little too quick.

Let's just accept that if someone says they watch a show; they watch the show. It's not usually something up for debate.

-Aquadementia: General Animation Moderator.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Currently, I only watch Disney Channel for 2 shows: Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder. (also the Mickey Mouse shorts.)

Currently, I only watch Nickelodeon for 2 shows: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Monsters VS Aliens.

So for me it's a tie.

Side note: I've always watched more shows on Cartoon Network than either. Right now, I'm more of a CN and Hub watcher.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
(I'll talk about the American channels, although many shows aired here on other channels...)

I really like Gravity Falls on Disney Channel. I haven't seen Wonder over Yonder yet, but it also looks pretty fun. On the other side: Nothing really bothers me on Nick.

And it has always been like that. I really liked the first (hand-drawn) season of Spongebob Squarepants, Kappa Mikey, Victorious and the acquired shows Martin Mystery, Looney Tunes and Fantastic Four World's Greatest Heroes, but that's it. None of the other shows on Nickelodeon or NickToons appeal me. However, Bad Seeds is coming in 2014, and it looks great!

Back on Disney's side: I really liked That's So Raven, Sonny with a Chance, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Kim Possible, The Emperor's New School, Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, The Incredible Hulk, SRMTHFG! and some other Disney originals. Disney always had more nice shows to offer than Nick.

But before I click on Submit Reply, I'll have to admit Cartoon Network is indeed better than both Disney and Nick. This counts for both the original and acquired shows. The list of my favourite shows on CN is longer than both Nick's and Disney's list multiplied by 10 :D

Dr.Pepper

I don't really watch either channel that much but right now I would go with Disney. Gravity Falls is one of the best cartoons I have seen in years.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/

Featured Posts