When did each age or era of Nickelodeon begin and end for you?

TMC1982

I thought about putting this in the Nicktoons forum, but figured that since this also takes live-action shows into the conversation, I might as well bring it here. I've been thinking about this after reading a Reddit post (as well as watching the Nick Knacks series on YouTube), that said that there have thus far been six different eras of Nickelodeon. They're divided by generations (Generation X, Millennials, Generation Z/Zoomers, and Generation Alpha). Without going too deeply, the post suggested that each era of Nick could be timestamped by the following:
  • The Stone Age (December 1, 1977 – October 6, 1986) - This era begins the launch of Pinwheel and ends with premiere of Double Dare.

• The Golden Age (October 6, 1986 – April 16, 1994) - This era begins with the aforementioned launch of Double Dare and and ends with the debut of All That.

• The Silver Age (April 16, 1994 – October 16, 1999) - This era begins with the broadcast of the pilot episode of All That and ends with debut of The Amanda Show and the conversion of SNICK to The SNICK House.

• The Bronze Age (October 16, 1999 – July 19, 2008) - This era begins with the debut of The Amanda Show like I said, and ends with the finale of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

• The Iron Age (July 19, 2008 – May 2, 2016) - This era presumably begins with the finale of Avatar: The Last Airbender and ends with the debut of Loud House, which takes us into the current age.
To keep things more simplistic, I would break things down by regimes: The Cy Schnieder era (1980–1984), Geraldine Laybourne era (1984-1996), Herb Scannell era (1996-2006), Cyma Zarghami era (2006-2018), and Brian Robbins era (2018-present).

Personally, I would like to split the suggested golden age up. August 11, 1991 is one of the most important dates in Nickelodeon history, because that was when the first branded Nicktoons (Doug, Ren & Stimpy, and Rugrats) debut. I also consider the end of SNICK in 2004, the closure of Nickelodeon Studios on Orlando in 2005, and the retirement of the splat logo in 2009, to collectively mark the symbolic end of Nick's Golden Age once and for all. The supposed Bronze Age may have actually started a few months earlier, since 1999 saw the debut of SpongeBob Squarepants (right after the Kids' Choice Awards), which has become undoubtedly, Nick's biggest show ever and they're unofficial mascot.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting break down of when Nick was "Gen X / Millennial / Gen Z". I maintain that Cartoon Network was a "Gen X" network until 1998 or 1999. Until the era of Powerpuff Girls/Courage the Cowardly Dog/TOM as the host of Toonami, prior to that, Cartoon Network skewed to an OLDER demographic than Nickelodeon. "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" was a "Gen X" cartoon. Original Toonami (with it's 80's Thundercats and Voltron reruns) was a "Gen X" cartoon block. But I digress.

On the topic at hand, the Stone Age dates are correct. It's true that the "Golden Age" started with Double Dare (and the era of kids game shows) in October, 1986.

Actually, I'm not sure these should be called "Golden/Silver/etc", but the next era should begin in August, 1991 with the launch of Ren & Stimpy and Rugrats. The cartoon revolution for Nick. I would argue this early to mid 90's era is the "Golden Age", but what does that makes the previous era? Whatever.

The next era (when Nick was maybe at the height of it's popularity) begins with the launch of the Rugrats movie in November of 1998. This was the era of Nick movies in theaters, and Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents on TV, etc....just a fantastic era. And I'm trying to pinpoint when that era ends, because by 2006 or 2007, Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents should've been allowed to end, but instead they "mutated" and kept going. Probably around the time "Barnyard" premiered in theaters in August of 2006, as that's either the start of "bad" Nick, or arguably the last good Nick movie.

"Avatar: The Last Airbender" launched in February, 2005, and that was a turning point. Certainly by 2006, "Avatar" mania had taken over the network. Season 4 of Spongebob ending in November, 2006, and Season 5 of Fairly Oddparents ended in November, 2006, and yeah, that's right around when those shows "ended" (aka stopped being "good" after that). Jimmy Neutron ended in November, 2006. So yeah, just....sometime in 2006. Either August, 2006 or November, 2006. That's my cut off point for this era, and the start of the next era, the "Avatar" era.

The next era ends when "Legend of Korra" ends in December, 2014.

And after that, Nick was dead to me. So I can't comment any further beyond that. :)

Last edited:
How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

will 2021 be better after this? I hope so
Today is the day, ladies and gentlemen! :D
Ready for SBLV and February Fools

Featured Posts