What's next for Saturday Morning cartoons?

Latest News & Videos

gokaiblue

May 12, 2019
USA
With the demise of Kidsclick, it seems that this tradition is dead. However, I do wonder if there's any chance of it coming back. There seems to be an untapped market that terrestrial television seems to not have taken advantage of well. Is it possible that someone might take another stab at bringing back cartoons to broadcast television?

Personally, I think there's a chance. Not a big one, but a chance. I think Kidsclick proved that there's still a market for non E/I cartoons and children's programming on terrestrial television. For a while, it seemed to be going somewhat strong. It was even strong enough to have local affiliate events. I think there's a chance someone at another company (or at Sinclair) might be studying what went wrong and seeing if the concept could be revived. Broadcast television's days might be numbered, but there's still a small sliver of hope for Saturday morning cartoons to make yet another comeback.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mar 17, 2010
Canada
I think another OTA kids sub-channel is far likelier than another block. Or at least another block that isn't old stuff from DHX's library and E/I trash.

gokaiblue

May 12, 2019
USA
I think another OTA kids sub-channel is far likelier than another block. Or at least another block that isn't old stuff from DHX's library and E/I trash.
Yep. I think in order for something like that to succeed, there needs to be a bit more of a crossover appeal between ages and make something that parents and their children can enjoy, especially when there are plenty of options for cartoons and children's entertainment nowadays.

Honestly, I wonder how a block or channel like this would do if it skewed a bit more towards the people who actually give a hoot about Saturday morning cartoons (though obviously not with "adult cartoons").

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
With the demise of Kidsclick, it seems that this tradition is dead. However, I do wonder if there's any chance of it coming back. There seems to be an untapped market that terrestrial television seems to not have taken advantage of well. Is it possible that someone might take another stab at bringing back cartoons to broadcast television?

Personally, I think there's a chance. Not a big one, but a chance. I think Kidsclick proved that there's still a market for non E/I cartoons and children's programming on terrestrial television. For a while, it seemed to be going somewhat strong. It was even strong enough to have local affiliate events. I think there's a chance someone at another company (or at Sinclair) might be studying what went wrong and seeing if the concept could be revived. Broadcast television's days might be numbered, but there's still a small sliver of hope for Saturday morning cartoons to make yet another comeback.
I doubt it. Cable helped kill Sat morning cartoons in the first place, streaming has made it irrelevant. Why would kids bother getting up early on a Sat morning or even wait till Sat morning to watch cartoons, when they can watch cartoons whenever they feel like it?

gokaiblue

May 12, 2019
USA
I doubt it. Cable helped kill Sat morning cartoons in the first place, streaming has made it irrelevant. Why would kids bother getting up early on a Sat morning or even wait till Sat morning to watch cartoons, when they can watch cartoons whenever they feel like it?
Very good point. While I personally feel there's an untapped market, it might already be being served. Still, there's most likely a portion of kids without cable or streaming that would be served well by a new Satam block. How important that market is to broadcasters is the real question.

I think someone us going to try Saturday morning cartoons again, but whether they should is another story. Part of this might hinge on the proposed loosening of the E/I regulations too.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Carlos Gutierrez wrote on Chevistian C's profile.
Do you have King from the upcoming Disney Channel animated series "The Owl House" as your avatar?
2019 feels like a bad year to talk about SpongeBob in public. If you dare say anything bad about seasons 1-3 you’ll be destroyed. Also, there’s a controversy going on with this character: Nurse Bazooka
I wonder if there are any "zombie channels" within WarnerMedia's portfolio that can be flipped.
Ahh, finally, the weekend is here. And this isn't just any old weekend. This is the weekend that SpongeBob and Patrick go camping. Wouldn't it be great if they got lost in the woods and never came back?