Whatever happened to 60's Marvel toons?

the greenman

We all know them. If we'd seen them we love them? I don't know they were released on DVD, but what about the ownership rules in terms of streaming? I remember someone mentioned if they Disney owned them they could play them before the films. That would be incredible (no pun intended).

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Disney owns them but probably doesn't think they're worth doing anything with. There was supposed to be a box set after the 60s Spider-Man release that never happened for whatever reason. Given how cautious Disney+ has been about what might get cultural insensitivity complaints, they might not think they're even worth the hassle to put up. It puzzled me that they wouldn't even just put up Spider-Man until I remembered stuff like The One-Eyed Idol episode, although they could always give those the Quest for the Red Skull treatment.

Even the Marvel Mash-Ups series which lampoons this old stuff, and was supposed to be available, is gone now. Last I checked, the page was viewable, with no actual episodes. Looks like they took it down completely now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Disney owns them but probably doesn't think they're worth doing anything with. There was supposed to be a box set after the 60s Spider-Man release that never happened for whatever reason. Given how cautious Disney+ has been about what might get cultural insensitivity complaints, they might not think they're even worth the hassle to put up. It puzzled me that they wouldn't even just put up Spider-Man until I remembered stuff like The One-Eyed Idol episode, although they could always give those the Quest for the Red Skull treatment.

Even the Marvel Mash-Ups series which lampoons this old stuff, and was supposed to be available, is gone now. Last I checked, the page was viewable, with no actual episodes. Looks like they took it down completely now.

Yeah, I figure episodes like that are why it's still not on DIsney Plus but on the same token they have Amazing Friends up minus the Red Skull episode with nazis and they have the Sunfire episode with the added cultural insensitivity disclaimer. I wish 60s Spidey would be added, sometimes Marvel seems to have an aversion to their old stuff.

The other 60s Marvel show would be great to see on there considering it never really has gotten a good release.

the greenman

Yeah, I figure episodes like that are why it's still not on DIsney Plus but on the same token they have Amazing Friends up minus the Red Skull episode with nazis and they have the Sunfire episode with the added cultural insensitivity disclaimer. I wish 60s Spidey would be added, sometimes Marvel seems to have an aversion to their old stuff.

The other 60s Marvel show would be great to see on there considering it never really has gotten a good release.
Do they completely own 60's Spider-man? I can see Submariner from Universal, but the rest of them are odd. Thor should be okay.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Do they completely own 60's Spider-man? I can see Submariner from Universal, but the rest of them are odd. Thor should be okay.

The only Marvel Animation from that time that isn't currently in the Disney Vault is The Fantastic Four (1967). Oh yeah. The Thing segments as well.

Last edited:

Trevor

I would also say that just in general Disney doesn’t seem that interested in any of it’s back catalog from any division, from beyond the late-90’s, with the exception of Star Wars. Otherwise, they’re more interested in the stuff from the last 20 years.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I would also say that just in general Disney doesn’t seem that interested in any of it’s back catalog from any division, from beyond the late-90’s, with the exception of Star Wars. Otherwise, they’re more interested in the stuff from the last 20 years.
Even in the case of Star Wars, I doubt that any of the Ewoks or Droids stuff is making it on. It surprised me to even see some of the Cartoon Network Clone Wars mini-series in The Mandalorian Gallery Behind the scenes stuff.

the greenman

The only Marvel Animation from that time that isn't currently in the Disney Vault is The Fantastic Four (1967). Oh yeah. The Thing segments as well.

Well, unless they buy Fantastic Four straight out, we probably won't ever see it. The Thing is even worse, essentially being a definite H-B toon complete with guest stars from other shows.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
While the Hanna-Barbera Thing segments were part of the Fred and Barney Meet the Thing show, there weren't any guest-stars in them. The closest thing to a cross-over was the opening credits (and maybe some bumpers in-between the segments).

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer

Speaking of that disclaimer, which is honestly placed on a harmless episode that made me like Sunfire as opposed to his comic self, it could also apply on that Australian hunter's first episode from the 60s cartoon because of the wall climbing aide.

coldglynx

Well they do have Spiderfriends and Spider-Woman up on Disney+

powerjake

I've always wanted to watch this Marvel Super Heroes 1960's series for a long time in HD. It feels so abandoned by Marvel these days.

Trevor

There were a few episodes released by Morningstar here in Canada back between 2008 and 2010. The quality is far from good, as they are made from the old Prism Marvel video series from the 80’s and it seems that Morningstar used the first Betamax player they could get their hands on to transfer to videos from Betamax. The DVD’s sound is that of Beta’s BII Linear mono audio, even though the Betamax tapes had Hi-Fi audio, it sounds like Morningstar used a mono-only Betamax player.

the greenman

I really would love to see a cleaned up release of these, if at all possible at this point. I know the condition looks pretty bad, and the production value is cheap and on the level of Clutch Cargo or something. Think about it though, these shows are just about as old as the comic books themselves.

These first attempts, deserve at least a look back. Compare that to the very fact Marvel didn't really get going again (in terms of animation) until the 80's. We also have never had any solo series for key characters like Thor, Captain America, and Namor Submariner; where both fans & professionals can utilize them for seeing how the characters were handled (Be it design and VA).

I have seen these series on tv before. In NYC, they aired sporadically (also with the old 60's DC heroes on the Aquaman/Superman Hour of Adventure also kinda lost in time). I'm just uncertain if we will see either of these classic series on modern media DVD/Bluray/Digital, especially if they don't believe they can save the transfers.

AdrenalineRush1996

I really would love to see a cleaned up release of these, if at all possible at this point. I know the condition looks pretty bad, and the production value is cheap and on the level of Clutch Cargo or something. Think about it though, these shows are just about as old as the comic books themselves.
I couldn't agree with you more on that.

Trevor

With the HB series, I wonder if Disney might be working on some deal with Warner Brothers to do a property swap. Now that Disney owns Fox, that means Disney owns the 1966 “Batman” show.

powerjake

I realy wish if Disney was fair and released this entire Marvel Super Heroes on DVD, Blu-Ray or even Disney+.

They cannot ignore this obscure classic forever.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Brenda Song and Macaulay Culkin have their first baby, a son named Dakota.

The Anime Superhero Hotel Concept is now available to everyone in this forum. Check it out if you want it.
I'm currently developing a concept called "The Anime Superhero Hotel", which is a building I dreamed about in the twilight hours today.
Asa wrote on Neo Ultra Mike's profile.

Featured Posts