What would motivate CN to improve their schedule?

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Sep 3, 2013
Ratings
2,883 41
Even though I still stand by their live feed isn't anywhere near as important as it used to, it kind of goes without saying that their recent practices (particularly this week) has taken a severe toll on the network's reputation. However, the problem is this has been going on for over 3 years, and while most lineups do try to hit a balance, when it goes off the deep end it gets really deep and thus often single-handedly loses a lot of people's respect.

However, despite all the flack and falling ratings they've suffered, if anything the problem has gotten worse with time. I know people like to chalk it up to the heads being complete morons, but keep in mind: they are trained professionals. They should know stuff like this, and yet I can't quite think of a mindset where all this is considered acceptable. They likely are seeing something we aren't, but even then you'd think someone at HQ would've spoken up about it.

All this just leads me to believe that, literally no matter what happens (even if TTG's ratings hit rock bottom), they still won't make permanent improvements to the lineup. It gives off the impression that all the criticism, demands, lack of support, etc makes absolutely zero difference despite the fact that they have to be at least somewhat aware of it. And yet, I still can't help but feel like there has to be something that could give them enough motivation. They are just trying to run a business and maximize profit, after all.

So, I need to ask this question: if anything at all, what would motivate Cartoon Network to improve it's live schedule? Would it be anything we could help do, would it be passively taking action, or possibly having others change the way they act about it? I really want to think there's at least some way they'll be able to realize the error of their ways.

Last edited:

Gatordragon

I'm the anchor, man!
May 14, 2012
Ratings
3,683 4
The Land of Flowers
I don't really know. All these internet complaints don't work because they're mostly from adults and not their target demographic of children. Also, most of the adults that are complaining seem to be childless and not parents that are concerned for their children. When you think about it, why should CN execs listen to childless adults who aren't what they're aiming for?

Thinking about it, perhaps if enough parents voice their concern about the schedule affecting their children somehow (like saying that variety is good for a child's development or happiness or whatever), maybe CN execs might be swayed to change their schedule if they believe it will have an effect on their target audience. However, I don't think a lot of parents really care about CN's schedule (or any kids' network schedule for that matter) because they aren't interested in the shows and only see the shows as a way to keep their children content and occupied. As long as their children are okay with it, their parents see no reason to complain.

Which raises the question: are children comfortable with the schedule? It seems that CN execs made the schedule this way to maximize viewership from children, their target audience. Losing child viewers could prompt the execs to alter their schedule, but not necessarily in the way us adult viewers want them to. Unless these kids voice in their complaints that they want more variety in the schedule, whether through their parents or by sending complaints themselves. If the target audience doesn't have any vocal criticisms and viewership among them is fine, CN execs will assume that things are fine.

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
Ratings
1,333 6
In A House
The best thing I can think of is if ratings for the target audience drop. I honestly hope that they do. I know young kids and many of their parents love TTG, but I hope they get bored with it this week and move on to something else. I don't have a problem with TTG being on, but I do have a problem with it being on 300 times a week.

Toon4Thought

Sep 3, 2013
Ratings
2,883 41
The best thing I can think of is if ratings for the target audience drop. I honestly hope that they do. I know young kids and many of their parents love TTG, but I hope they get bored with it this week and move on to something else. I don't have a problem with TTG being on, but I do have a problem with it being on 300 times a week.
But haven't the ratings been dropping since late 2015, and have continued to dwindle with each month (to the point where regular eps of TTG sometimes fall below 1 million)? And yet, that clearly hasn't worked; if anything, it's worsened.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,595 67 1
Belgium
1. Make sure you live in a household with kids.
2. Make sure your viewings count when the TV ratings are measured. (I don't know how this works in the US. In Flanders, everyone with digital TV counts as a viewer, and you need to watch the show for at least 10 minutes.)
3. Watch the reruns of shows you like.
4. Don't turn on the channel during Teen Titans Go.
5. Hope other people do the same.

Toon4Thought

Sep 3, 2013
Ratings
2,883 41
1. Make sure you live in a household with kids.
2. Make sure your viewings count when the TV ratings are measured. (I don't know how this works in the US. In Flanders, everyone with digital TV counts as a viewer, and you need to watch the show for at least 10 minutes.)
3. Watch the reruns of shows you like.
4. Don't turn on the channel during Teen Titans Go.
5. Hope other people do the same.
In the US they are counted from a select group of people using Nielsen boxes. Though, not only does that not necessarily fairly represent the general audience, but it's becoming fast obsolete. Why can't we have your measuring system?

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Jul 29, 2017
Ratings
382 10
Email them, encourage parents to not let their kids watch the channel, don't buy their shows on Itunes or etc, or watch the channel.
That would take quite a while, since we don't know EVERYBODY'S email address in this country! Also, I have a better idea! We hack Cartoon Network, steal/leak all future episodes of their shows (I won't actually care if one of those shows is Steven Universe!), steal data from the staff, and leak personal and future information, just like the Sony Pictures hack of 2014, and the most recents cyberattacks on Netflix and HBO! That way Christina Miller would step down from the company, just like Amy Pascal! *sarcasm*

Or, we would tell the staff at Warner Bros. Animation to stop making TTG! *again, sarcasm*

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,741 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I don't really know. All these internet complaints don't work because they're mostly from adults and not their target demographic of children. Also, most of the adults that are complaining seem to be childless and not parents that are concerned for their children. When you think about it, why should CN execs listen to childless adults who aren't what they're aiming for?

Thinking about it, perhaps if enough parents voice their concern about the schedule affecting their children somehow (like saying that variety is good for a child's development or happiness or whatever), maybe CN execs might be swayed to change their schedule if they believe it will have an effect on their target audience. However, I don't think a lot of parents really care about CN's schedule (or any kids' network schedule for that matter) because they aren't interested in the shows and only see the shows as a way to keep their children content and occupied. As long as their children are okay with it, their parents see no reason to complain.

Which raises the question: are children comfortable with the schedule? It seems that CN execs made the schedule this way to maximize viewership from children, their target audience. Losing child viewers could prompt the execs to alter their schedule, but not necessarily in the way us adult viewers want them to. Unless these kids voice in their complaints that they want more variety in the schedule, whether through their parents or by sending complaints themselves. If the target audience doesn't have any vocal criticisms and viewership among them is fine, CN execs will assume that things are fine.
That's the most sensible thing I've read here in a long time.

However, I feel if anything, most parents, instead of complaining for a better schedule, would encourage their kids to read books or play outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,305 36
Austin, Texas
A show would have to constantly do better than Teen Titans Go, but if that does happen chances are it would serve as a replacement and the schedule will carry on with its repetition.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,595 67 1
Belgium
Except there's NOTHING offensive to parents in TTG!!!
Go to a bunch of school gate parents.

"Did you watch the news last week? I heard a child DIED after trying to mimic what happened during Teen Titans Go. I don't know, ladies... I don't think I will let my boy watch Cartoon Network anymore..."

Tell them it was on BBC America if they want to know which channel it was.

Believe me, mothers believe everything they hear at the school gate.