What will happen to saturday morning cartoon if Litton were to shut down?

logo70

Ok guys if Litton, the company that ruined saturday mornings were to close down. What will happen to the staurday morning cartoons?

jaylop97

Staff member
If Litton was to end, chances are another group of a similar interest will rise and be the new Litton.

logo70

I don't know will happen ether but future is more unprictitable than we imagined

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Their replacement would not see first run animation produced for it.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Nothing would change. It isn't Litton's fault. The idea that they're responsible for killing off Saturday morning blocks is just ridiculous when the concept of a weekly block of shows aimed at kids is such an outdated concept. There are so many channels aimed at kids that play shows every day. There are a ton of ways for people to watch shows whenever and where ever they want to. All of that is more appealing than waiting until Saturday for shows aimed at kids. You might as well be upset at Netflix for killing Blockbusters and Hollywood Video stores with this logic.

Even if Litton did go under, a new company wouldn't come in to revive traditional Saturday morning blocks. If the networks thought that there was still enough money for traditional Saturday morning blocks to keep them around in this day and age, we wouldn't have this conversation.

Mikurotoro92

Banned
Litton isn't to blame...

The networks are!

They are the ones who don't see value in Saturday morning cartoons

(but they do somehow see value in soap operas)

Also wishing for a company to shut down just because they supposedly "ruined" Saturday morning cartoons is uncalled for!

logo70

I will tell people to protast all over USA and Canada to bring back saturday mornings

Zorak Masaki

Even if cartoons came back, they'd just be E/I fare (think along the lines of Kids WB's long forgotten "Will and Dewitt"). The days of dubbed anime or superhero cartoons or even just straight-up comedy cartoons arent coming back due to the educational programming rule (and the fact that most of those are either on other networks or online).

logo70

But in canada, the reason why there is no saturday morning is because of trc

hobbyfan

Logo70, I don't think you quite understand the gravity of it all. The networks have seen how the video landscape has changed, and have moved accordingly. Each of the networks is tethered to a major studio (i.e.-NBC-Universal/Comcast, ABC-Disney, etc.), and at the end, their cable partners were supplying the Saturday blocks. That's no longer needed, as technology now enables viewers to stream their favorite shows online, assuming they know where to go, and stream it safely.

If anything were to happen to Litton (unlikely at this point), someone else will come along to fill the void, or the networks will give the time to their affiliates to use as they see fit, which would again be news, infomercials, old sitcoms, or educational programs. It's the way it is in the 21st century.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
But in canada, the reason why there is no saturday morning is because of trc

Do you mean the CRTC? I don't think they had anything to do with SATAM dying off in Canada. The cable networks did.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I still don't really understand the whole notion of bringing traditional Saturday morning blocks back. I understand the nostalgic appeal of them. I have fond memories of watching Kids' WB and to a lesser extent Fox Kids on Saturday mornings. But at the same time, the format is completely outdated in this day and age. Why wait for one day when there are more children's programming available every day on various channels? I would have loved something like On Demand or streaming sites when I was younger since I wouldn't be as worried if I miss a new episode of Pokemon. Back in the day, they wouldn't air the episode again until the following Friday, unless there was some special week event. Since Pokemon is on Disney XD, I can easily watch the newest episodes on their On Demand section the day it premieres, so if I miss the morning premiere, I can just watch it whenever I want.

Blaming Litton doesn't make sense to me when there are a lot of reasons why the format wouldn't work nowadays. It's like wanting Blockbusters back even when we have stuff like Netflix that make it obsolete.

aegisrawks

There are cartoons and they are airing. You dont get to say "Oh but they arent back the right way!" This thread is pointless.

logo70

Well, three years later, still the same, nothing has changed with the saturday mornings

TsWade2

Well, I don't like Litton Entertainment and I miss the good old saturday morning cartoons, however, I could always come up my own saturday morning block on cable even though some of the shows I like are from Disney Junior. Will saturday morning cartoons make a resurgence? Maybe. But I don't think it'll happen anytime soon, even though I wish it does. And that's my honest opinion instead of me ranting about it like I did in the past.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts