What was Grodd's Goals in Justice League Unlimited?

Gabs Sama

I recently binged through Justice League Unlimited. So long story short, Grodd tries to gather up ancient artifacts and combines them with his technology to turn the world into gorillas

Was that it?

Why?

And also what's the point of turning everyone into gorillas if they still have free will? Why didn't Grodd mind control people?

There's other things like what was the invulnerable Viking supposed to do and stuff like why does Superman and Wonder Woman change? I thought they were Kryptonian and made of clay XDDD

Otaku-sempai

There's other things like what was the invulnerable Viking supposed to do and stuff like why does Superman and Wonder Woman change? I thought they were Kryptonian and made of clay XDDD
Superman is vulnerable to magic and to some technologies as well. Diana was made from clay, but she is still flesh & blood.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
He's ego-driven and blinded by his superiority complex, imo. He wants to wipe out humanity and show apes are the superior species. That's it. He wasn't really about conquering the world, taking over all gorillas (but it'd be a feather in his cape down the road) or anything like that I think.

His method here was combining magic and tech as failsafe to deal with the JLU since they are vulnerable to one or the other or both. Magictek. Technomagic. It's a comic trope.

The invulnerability was supposedly going to be used on members of the LoD through Luthor's reverse engineering project mentioned in the same episode "To Another Shore"

Gabs Sama

Superman is vulnerable to magic and to some technologies as well. Diana was made from clay, but she is still flesh & blood.

Ahhh. I thought Grodd's machine could only change humans to gorillas. I guess the magic involved affects Superman still and yeah, even if WW was born from clay, she probably has human DNA. Do kryptonians and humans share at least some DNA?

Because maybe that explains why Superman/ape was able to retain most of his strength when he destroyed the machine and some powers like limited flying whereas Wonder Woman/Gorilla not only couldn't fly but she also lost her strength and duarability when she and Bat Ape were hit by the lightning. If it hurt Bat Ape but didn't kill him, it shouldn't have hurt as much for WW if she still had her powers. But because she did lose her powers, looks like both of them suffered as much pain from the lightning

Plus she also didn't use her bracelets for some reason...? To deflect projectiles like usual.

He's ego-driven and blinded by his superiority complex, imo. He wants to wipe out humanity and show apes are the superior species. That's it. He wasn't really about conquering the world, taking over all gorillas (but it'd be a feather in his cape down the road) or anything like that I think.

His method here was combining magic and tech as failsafe to deal with the JLU since they are vulnerable to one or the other or both. Magictek. Technomagic. It's a comic trope.

The invulnerability was supposedly going to be used on members of the LoD through Luthor's reverse engineering project mentioned in the same episode "To Another Shore"

Actually that makes sense. Gorillafy the world so he can rule over apes instead of humans

Also, maybe the reason why they wanted the invulnerability was because it might have protected the device from harm :O I think that's why they wanted it. Because the biggest issue (outside of it not mind controlling anyone...) was that not only was it not permanent but it also was vulnerable. Super Ape just picked it up and threw it away. Heck even Grodd said it was pointless and too late to stop the JL from destroying the device so he, Alex, and Tala fled

If they had the Viking magic then maybe they could have made it IMPOSSIBLE to destroy the device

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, aliens and magical beings being affected and not just Earthlings probably ties into that convergent evolution theory, too, lol since Sinestro alluded to the fact that all of the LoD was changed, too. As for their powers during that scene, yeah, it was probably all over the place due to the machine technomagic. Pretty much a maguffin. It doesn't whatever the story needs to happen.

Gabs Sama

"It *does* whatever the story needs to happen"

Fixed :p

Thanks! C: I'm just trying to understand Grodd's plans and the gorilla effects on the heroes because I want to write a sequel story for this :)

Actually it's not really a sequel but rather a 'What if Grodd succeeded' story. Because I do think his master plan ended abruptly. Like all this build up annnnnd it ends in like 3 minutes XDDD

So I'm trying to find out how could Grodd succeed (at least better than what actually transpired :p ) and what would the effects be if the Justice League and the world were changed.

Still brainstorming but I'd be open to ideas and suggestions :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wonderwall

Staff member
A buddy of mine in high school i remember was just annoyed by Grodd's plan, in his words "Why would you turn Superman into an ape? He's now stronger than ever!"

Always makes me laugh 10 years later. Side note, can you believe the DCAU ended a decade ago! Where does the time go?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah. I think that last season was a bit more "inebriated" and the staff really just wanted to have some fun in a sense -- not something as heavy and dogmatic as the Cadmus arc. So there was a bit more wacky ideas in the flow. Look at Grodd's plans throughout JL and JLU in order. They get less grounded.

Gabs Sama

A buddy of mine in high school i remember was just annoyed by Grodd's plan, in his words "Why would you turn Superman into an ape? He's now stronger than ever!"

Always makes me laugh 10 years later. Side note, can you believe the DCAU ended a decade ago! Where does the time go?

XD

Well, like I said, maybe turning him into a gorilla made him less powerful. He seemed slower and Wonder Woman also seemed sluggish in speed and reaction. Plus she seemed like she got as hurt as Batman. Superman though has human DNA but also Kryptonian DNA so I think that's why he still had some strength.

Oh yeah... can't believe it's been 10 years...

the_joker

Luthor may have thought that Grodd's "turn everyone into apes" plan was silly, but it could potentially cause a massive panic if it worked. That'd really keep the League busy for a while, and the Legion of Doom could do as they please.

Yeah. I think that last season was a bit more "inebriated" and the staff really just wanted to have some fun in a sense -- not something as heavy and dogmatic as the Cadmus arc. So there was a bit more wacky ideas in the flow. Look at Grodd's plans throughout JL and JLU in order. They get less grounded.
Grodd's plans even in his JL appearances still matches the "superiority" motivation. He was definitely outraged at losing to Flash, who Grodd thought wasn't a very smart one.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts