What is your opinion on cartoons that last over 100 episodes?

CyberCubed

A lot of cartoons tend to be short-lived series, or end around the 52 or 65 episode rule, but some of the most popular cartoons last over 100 episodes.

What is your opinions on cartoons that last a long period of time, and have over 100 episodes? Do you think the quality wears thin? Or does it make it feel like the series you're watching is this long spanning epic?

Michael JJ

Remember to Stay Positive!
It all depends on the show. South Park is still doing very well, from what I see of the 80s Ninja Turtles it actually got better later on, in my opinion, while The Fairly Oddparents and Family Guy have suffered in quality.

Though, admittingly, most shows I can think of that lasted that long have suffered.

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
More power to them. It tends to be a popular belief on these forums that shows should “retire” before they get too many episodes, but I fervently believe that shows should go on as long as the people working on them wish for them to continue. Perhaps the show will shift in quality, but one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Just look at “SpongeBob SquarePants”, as a lot of people online insist that it should have ended ages ago, and yet, it does tremendously well in the ratings and people still enjoy it immensely.

PC!

lolwut?
Depends on the show. Some shows are consistently good past the 100-episode mark, and others suffer. A show's quality is in the eye of the beholder, regardless of how many episodes it has.

SpongeJosh

A Bold Kid
Depends on the show. Some shows are consistently good past the 100-episode mark, and others suffer. A show's quality is in the eye of the beholder, regardless of how many episodes it has.
True. Some shows have gotten better as they've gone on, some have gone downhill, and some have simply changed. Also, there are people who were fans of a show when it started out who feel the show lost its way after it gained popularity and changed over its long run. This can be said of Family Guy, SpongeBob, and the Simpsons. I've met many people who prefer the first 3 seasons of those shows to the latest seasons, and people who hated the early episodes and love the new ones. It all depends on the show and person. Personally, I think there are plenty of shows that deserve their long runs, others could stand to improve, some should just end, and there's plenty of shows that should've ran longer, but that's just my opinion.

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
By that point, I'd say it's clearly being milked. I've yet to see a show go past 100 episodes and still be worth watching.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
As others have said, it depends on the show. Some series manage to retain the same level of quality past 100 episodes, while others have jumped the shark. Some shows jump the shark before reaching episode 100. Again, it depends on the show and the talent behind it.

AnimationX

R.I.P Tangath Toborn
It all depends on the creative juices of the writers and creators, if a show is going over the 100 episode mark because of it's popularity then thats cool but only if they are making good episodes to support it. A lot of times you will see a show hit the 100 episode mark and by that time it's stale and only a mere shell of what it once was, so it becomes a "sell out" show in my opinion, but if the show is still as good at episode #100 as it is at episode #10 then I have no gripe with a series lasting so long.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Marinite said:
I've yet to see a show go past 100 episodes and still be worth watching.
I thought Simpsons and King of the Hill were both still consistently good after 100 episodes. After 200 episodes, that's another story...

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
Then you've never seen the DCAU.
Well, like creativerealms said, no single series in it lasted for over 100 episodes. But I'm not really into the DCAU to begin with, so it's kind of moot. To be fair, there's very few shows that aren't sitcoms that last for over 100 episodes to begin with.

thedanmachine

gomu gomu no custom title
One Piece is the only cartoon (cartoons, though done in the style of japanese animation, are still cartoons IMO.) I've ever watched that went over 100 episodes. Personally, it seems to be doing as well as it always has.

I would say BTAS but I separate BTAS and TNBA. Same continuity, different show.

The Cartoon

Blast From the Past
I encourage it. The longer a show lasts, the more likely it will be considered a classic in the future. Too often, shows end prematurely and are forgotten due to that. It's true that quality often declines, but it's not like that will take anything away from the beginning of the series.

Desensitized

Old School!
I thought Simpsons and King of the Hill were both still consistently good after 100 episodes. After 200 episodes, that's another story...
But you just listed KOTH? :confused:

As already has been said, it depends on the show. But I personally don't care, because if a show gets bad, I simply don't have to watch it anymore and other people can go on enjoying it. It's a win/win.

CyberCubed

I can think of two shows I watched that went on over 100 episodes besides The Simpsons:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) - 193 total episodes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003) - 155 total episodes

They've had a pretty consistent run for what those shows were.

rattis1

By that point, I'd say it's clearly being milked. I've yet to see a show go past 100 episodes and still be worth watching.

The Simpsons was in its prime when the show passed 100 episodes, in season 5 to be more specific, and would remain in its prime for at least another two seasons. If you didn't like The Simpsons the way it was between epsiodes 100 to 153, i cant imagine how you could have liked the 99 previous epsiodes (since the quality remained pretty much unchanged from about seasons 3 to 7).

Marvin Tikvah

I like the novelty of a long lasting show. Sure, its extremely difficult for it to maintain quality throughout that time but there's a level of comfort you get out of watching a long-runner at any given moment of its run. You get to notice little things that you missed the first time, or realize just how far the show has come or how the characters have changed.

Seeing them end is always pretty sad though. As much as I detest the recent Simpsons seasons, I can easily say I will feel strange the day the show stops production and ends.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts