What is your favourite decade of music?

Latest News & Videos

AdrenalineRush1996

Now, there is a lot of decades that are defined by music such as the decades before the 1950s defined by opera, jazz, swing, ragtime, folk and traditional pop, 1950s defined by rock and roll, 1960s defined by British Invasion pop, psychedelic music and hard rock, 1970s defined by pop, disco, heavy metal, glam rock, progressive rock, punk rock and post-punk, 1980s (aka the MTV decade) defined by new wave, synthpop, glam metal (or hair metal as others would call it), country music, gothic rock, thrash metal and Golden Age hip hop, 1990s defined by grunge, Britpop, alternative rock, dance-pop, ska punk, R&B, nu metal, gangsta rap, hip hop, country pop, adult contemporary and punk revival, 2000s defined by teen pop, R&B, post-grunge, emo, pop punk, new prog, hip hop, crunk, metalcore, pop rock, post-punk revival, post-Britpop and singer-songwriter pop and 2010s defined by EDM, dubstep, alternative R&B, alternative pop, disco revival, those two new genres of rap (emo rap and SoundCloud rap), nu metal revival, pop rap, pop rock, British soul, trap, K-pop and kawaii metal.

What is your favourite decade of music and any reason why is it your favourite?

I'll start. My favourite decade is the 1990s due to the fact a lot of my favourite songs are from that decade, most notably "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, "Hero" by Mariah Carey, "Only Happy When It Rains" by Garbage, "Still the One" by Shania Twain, "End of the Road" by Boyz II Men, "Everlong" by Foo Fighters, "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam, "Wannabe" by Spice Girls and most notably, "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston also to the point I see it as one of the last good decades that rock music was still popular in the main charts since the main charts nowadays are more reliant on pop and EDM aside from that Milli Vanilli controversy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
I have a theory that the music you identify with the most is the music from your adolescent ("coming of age") years. Of course, what years those include is debatable...but I'd say broadly it's from age 13 to 23.

...So yeah, my favorite decade of music is the 90's. Most of my Pandora playlists are 90's themed. But I do spice things up and listen to the 00's or the 80's. Even sometimes the 70's.

I don't really care for the 60's though. Or anything from the 2010's.

Zorak Masaki

I mainly listen to 80s-90s music. That said, I do enjoy 60s-70s, and 2000s-2010s music as well, just not as much. While I can respect music from 50s and before, I never have any desire to listen to them.

Low Spark of Lyman

Here's what we have for our departing contestants.
I'll be an outlier here and say I largely check out music from before I was born, especially the 1950s through the early 1980s. I do hold interest in some music from the 1990s and even later.

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
I check music that was around before I born much more, I'll listen to things from what on radio is called "Standards" so Sinatra etc. Will add in other 50's and 60's but my primary favorite is the 80's though, with the 70's and 90's getting flanked in there.

Dr.Pepper

I have a soft spot for ‘50’s and ‘60’s rock and pop, especially if they are from one hit wonders. I used to listen to an oldies station as a young kid.

Ryan

Well known for talking about Canada.
I'm mostly a 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000's music person. Although I do like some 2010's top 40 music, and mostly indie.

Radical Edward

from Netflix's Cowboy Bebop
For me, it's 1990's hip-hop and R&B, but I do have a soft spot for early to mid 2000's pop since that's the era I grew up on, for better or worse.

Jean74

What I Did For Love!
Love the 50's-70's, Disco, 80's growing up as a kid of that generation the 1980's. Like any music and like Jazz too. But can tolerate some country. But not a rap or heavy metal fan.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
When I was younger, I'd probably fight between the 80's and 90's. The former for the expansion of heavy metal, with most of the NWOBHM acts finding record deals, and starting off thrash, black, death, glam, and formatting traditional, while also being the start of the college rock boom, the refinement of hip-hop, and having great pop throughout. The 90's, meanwhile, expanded death and black metal while getting into its first waves of post rock and metal, had a lot of the best hip-hop acts and albums, and some really nice R&B and even some alt rock. I still admire both decades, but I don't really care to label any decade as a favorite as much anymore, when there's a lot I listen to from the 50's to today, and I'm still exploring.

the greenman

The Nineties was a good decade for hip hop, especially with the rivalry between Tupac and Biggie.
That was mostly a culmination. As there were alot of acts that had nothing to do with East or West coast like No Limit and Master P. I think the 90s is where Hip Hop fluidly merged with R&B even more. They started sampling more & more to the point they actually used the original R&B acts like Roger Troutman with Deathrow. 90s gave us Fugees & Lauryn Hill to 2 Live Crew, so take your pick.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
I'm a big fan of 70's disco, 80's synthpop, 90's eurodance, hip-hop, rock and happy-hardcore, 2000's R&B pop, electro-house and rap, 2010's EDM and indie-rock.