What Is The Ideal Length For A Plot Driven Cartoon

Latest News & Videos

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
Shows that follow a serialized story, or develop one, are given plenty of praise for their complex themes and characterization, but this can also be seen as a curse. For some plot driven shows that go on for too long , or at least a good long time, the audience could get tired in wanting to see how the plot unfolds. This particular complaint has been levied towards shows like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Star Vs The Forces Of Evil, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012, and so much more. Compare that with plot driven shows that were shorter running or were cancelled. Shows like Randy Cunningham, Motorcity, and Generator Rex may not be talked about that much anymore, but those that talk about them are very positive.

What do you think? What's the ideal length for a serialized series, both in episodes and seasons?

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
New York
As long as the creator intends it to be, whether it's ten episodes like Over the Garden Wall or 885+ episodes like One Piece.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
It really depends on what kind of the story the author/creative team wants to tell. Some plot drive shows can be wrapped up within a season or two, while others would benefit from a much longer run. It also depends on how many episodes are spent focused on advancing the plot.

Although, I also feel like fans tend to glorify the plot for story driven series. Nothing else matters besides the plot and I've seen people consider important character development and world building as filler just because it wasn't directly about the plot. Advancing the plot is obviously important for a story driven series, but if it's so important that character development, world building and just having the chance to breath in between important events is considered a waste of time, then I'd just question how much enjoyment those fans could get from the series.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
I guess it's like a puzzle in a sense. People are more focused on how the puzzle pieces (plot points) come together rather than enjoying the puzzle pieces (episodes) as is. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
Depends on the story and plot really.
Star Vs.'s problem was that it had a huge amount of story potential but not enough seasons to explore it all so the last season felt rushed with not enough explored. There was also the issue of the romance drama taking up time that held the show back as well.

Steven Universe's problem was more of the constant hiatuses between new episodes that harmed it.

Randy Cunningham ended with defeating it's main villain, but it also ended with a cliff-hanger as well, so it could've used another season.

The TMNT 2012 series tried to fit in as many stories as possible that it ended up rushed and ending with questions being unanswered, like when is Mutagen Man gonna be cured? and what happened to April's mother?

Antonio Bravo

IDOL UP!
Sep 11, 2016
It focuses how many story driven series can be anything, whether it can be short like an OVA series or a long series that takes up to many seasons to binge watch....the creator can decide on how the series is staying on topic and how it works that way for story driven animation.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

This is the first year I watched Disney Channel frequently since 2006 mostly because of Big City Greens, Amphibia, Ducktales, and Miraculous.

The teaser is good. The comments saying "Release The Snyder Cut" are not.
Is the concept of good scheduling just dead at this point, I'm looking at PlutoTv and most of the time they just got the same show on repeat.