What is everyone's favorite decade of the 20th century?

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I'd like to hear from you all about this.

khuddle

The 1980s, easily. Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Thundercats, Transformers and GI Joe cartoons, the Commodore 64 and the huge array of games that came with it, the groundbreaking Apple Macintosh, Micheal Jordan, Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky, Cal Ripken Jr, the BMW 3 series, Van Halen's "1984" album, MTV, NASA introduces the Space Shuttle. A great time to be alive.

Last edited:

5YearsOnEastCoast

90s.
A lot of iconic video games, TV shows, music came from this period compared to other decades of 20th century.

FirePuppy

The 1980s, easily. Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Thundercats, Transformers and GI Joe cartoons, the Commodore 64 and the huge array of games that came with it, the groundbreaking Apple Macintosh, Micheal Jordan, Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky, Cal Ripken Jr, the BMW 3 series, Van Halen's "1984" album, MTV, NASA introduces the Space Shuttle. A great time to be alive.
I do remember seeing a few of those shows on cable TV in the '90s. But I don't remember the Commodore 64.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Tough call between the 80's and 90's. I'll give the edge to the 90's (as we believed we had achieved "Peace on Earth" and lived in a strange bubble of "innocence"), but the 80's were great.

I also like the 70's, or at least the last half of the 70's. I remember IGN's nostalgia series "The History of Awesome", which starts in 1977 with Star Wars, Atari, and "Dungeons and Dragons", and I'm inclined to agree, that's when pop culture becomes cool...but I can go all the way back to 1975 with "Jaws" being released in theaters. Before 1975, the 70's were consumed with Watergate and Vietnam (Boomer stuff).

The 60's are overly adored by the Boomers and the 50's are overly hated by everyone. The 40's sucked (World War 2), the 30's sucked (the Great Depression), the 20's sound horrible (the Floss dance), the 10's sucked (World War 1). Maybe the 1900's first decade could've been of interest to live in? But who am I kidding, the 80's and 90's were the best.

VCR's first started being used in the late 70's, and so I have a fondness for the late 70's until the late 2000's (around when VCR's died). Roughly from 1977 to 2007, is the best 30 years in human history - said the VCR lover who hates Vietnam/Nixon-era worship, and who hates the way social media's taken over everything and made it all toxic from 2008 onward.

Last edited:

khuddle

I also like the 70's, or at least the last half of the 70's. I remember IGN's nostalgia series "The History of Awesome", which starts in 1977 with Star Wars, Atari, and "Dungeons and Dragons", and I'm inclined to agree, that's when pop culture becomes cool...but I can go all the way back to 1975 with "Jaws" being released in theaters. Before 1975, the 70's were consumed with Watergate and Vietnam (Boomer stuff).

70s, mixed bag. On the plus side, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin and more Led Zeppelin: the greatest rock'n'roll band of all time AINEC. On the downside, disco, bellbottoms. wide lapels....the 70s was a fashion disaster. Just go back and look at some of the hairstyles and the things people were wearing and laugh your a** off.

EDIT: one last thing: the 90s had the internet, which was of course, huge, and might sway the argument in the 90s favor. But the 80s had the introduction of the first home PCs, which was also important. So I'm sticking with the 80s

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
I like Disco

disco-snoopy-1978-1.jpg

Violt

The 2000s. That was when internet forums/message boards were in their glorious days. The early and mid 2000s get all the love, and the late 2000s is underrated. This was also a time when people enjoyed each other more.

Moe

1990s for me and sometime, 1980s.

Cable channels in 1980s was limited so you would get ESPN, USA Network, Nickelodeon, A&E, AMC, TBS, TNT, CNN, Discovery, Family Channel, TLC, Lifetime, MTV, VH1, CMT, TNN, Headline News, Travel Channel, TV Guide Channel and premium channels - The Disney Channel, Bravo, The Movie Channel, Showtime, HBO and Cinemax as Oct 1988 after TNT launched. DVR didn't exist and you have to buy a VCR to record the shows, so want more one tuner, you have to buy more VCR and 2nd TV set. 1990s was better after more expansion like FX, TVLand, CN, Sci-Fi, History, IFC, etc.

I found 1990s to be most peaceful decade but there were some disputes like war in Balkans and some countries in Africa. Cheap gas to travel anywhere and plenty of affordable housing.

ATSFGuy

Late 1990’s - Late 2000’s (1997-2009, 2010.)

I was born in December 1993, so I got to witness the Dot-com Bubble of 1995-2000. And I grew up in a time where Cassettes, CD’s VCR’s, DVD’s dominated the music space and the Internet was just getting started, even though I didn’t start actually surfing the web until 2006.

Last edited:

Moe

Late 1990’s - Late 2000’s (1997-2009, 2010.)

I was born in December 1993, so I got to witness the Dot-com Bubble of 1995-2000. And I grew up in a time where Cassettes, CD’s VCR’s, DVD’s dominated the music space and the Internet was just getting started, even though I didn’t start actually surfing the web until 2006.
You would definitely LOVE Nick in 1993-1994 and I do remember about Legends of the Hidden Temple started at 4:30 pm CT, Wild and Crazy Kids started at 3:30 pm and Wild and Crazy Kids started at 4:00 pm, and Looney Tunes after Legends of the Hidden Temple at 5 pm and Doug at 6 pm, and tuned to local NBC news for my dad and Star Trek: TNG on local Fox (it was syndicated version, assigned by local station).

ATSFGuy

You would definitely LOVE Nick in 1993-1994 and I do remember about Legends of the Hidden Temple started at 4:30 pm CT, Wild and Crazy Kids started at 3:30 pm and Wild and Crazy Kids started at 4:00 pm, and Looney Tunes after Legends of the Hidden Temple at 5 pm and Doug at 6 pm, and tuned to local NBC news for my dad and Star Trek: TNG on local Fox (it was syndicated version, assigned by local station).
Interesting,

I didn't start watching Nick until early 1997.

Weren't All That, Kenan & Kel, Rugrats, The Wild Thornberrys, airing as well?

I do recall watching "Nick In The Afternoon", U Pick Friday", and "Slime Time Live".

Do you remember Nick GAS in the early 2000's? It showed Rocket Power and Hey Arnold.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
The 1970s was one of the schlockiest decades in human history regarding fashion and popular entertainment, and yet there were Led Zeppelin, new Hollywood, Star Wars, the Muppets, Monty Python...

That era never ceases to fascinate me.

Moe

Weren't All That, Kenan & Kel, Rugrats, The Wild Thornberrys, airing as well?
Rugrats and All That (premiered in 1994) - yes in 1993-1994 schedule, and as for Kenan & Kel and The Wild Thornberrys, they weren't premiere on Nick until mid and late 1990s.

We had Doug, Rugrats, Rocko's and Ren & Stimpy Show - all of those aired on weekend only until 1993, Doug moved to weekday and Rugrats moved to weekday in 1994. Aaahh!!! Real Monsters premiered 2 days before Halloween on weekend.

Nick relied on acquired cartoons like Looney Tunes, The Alvin Show, Yogi Bear, Muppet Babies, Gumby, Beetlejuice and Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends to air on weekday, along with game shows like Guts, Wild and Crazy Kids, What Would You Do?, Double Dare and Legends of the Hidden Temple, live action shows like Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts, and retro live action shows, Flipper, Lassie and Dennis the Menace.

Nick dumped You Can't Do That On Television and replaced with All That on weekend only.

I do recall watching "Nick In The Afternoon", U Pick Friday", and "Slime Time Live".
Same here, I do remember about SNICK and it was my special day. :)

Do you remember Nick GAS in the early 2000's? It showed Rocket Power and Hey Arnold.
Yes, Nick moved much of game shows to Nick GaS to make a room for more Nicktoons shows until Nicktoons Channel launched in 2002. Nick reduced the dependent on acquired cartoon shows when they have enough Nicktoons shows to occupy the channel.

Rocket Power was very significant on GaS as I remember and as for Hey Arnold, possibly related to sport games.

I missed Lassie and Flipper - they aren't on streaming service and you can find Dennis the Menace easily.

Pilmedium

Definitely the 1990s. I would say humanity peaked then. Technology was adequate but not everywhere and over-done like it is now. Music was great across all genres, for once. And of course, Pokémon & Digimon premiered. If only time could have stood still in the late '90s...

khuddle

Definitely the 1990s. I would say humanity peaked then. Technology was adequate but not everywhere and over-done like it is now. Music was great across all genres, for once. And of course, Pokémon & Digimon premiered. If only time could have stood still in the late '90s...

Also I was in my 20s and still had hair. Lots of it :)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts