What If Toonami Ended on Adult Swim? Who Would be It's Next Network?

What Do You What Network Toonami Will Move Next?

• Stay On Adult Swim?

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • The CW

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • TNT (Or Anyother Waner Media Network)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HBO Max?

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Uhh... Cheese Sauce?

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Rainbowkid37

Imagine This Scenario: Adult Swim Announces it Will Discontinue It's Toonami Block. You Might Ask, What Will Be Their Next Network?
Would It be... The CW? TNT? TBS? or Even HBO Max?

Personally, I Think The CW Would be Their Next Choice. Considering The Fact That It's Competitor Fox Shows Cartoons During Prime Time. Though Toonami Would Have to Air During Prime Time So it Won't Interfere With Stations. I'd Say Sunday (Or Saturday, Doesn't Matter) Would Be Best.
I Could Also See HBO Max Having it's Own Toonami Section As Well.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I don't think it would move to another channel. I can't really see channels like the CW, TNT or TBS being interested in something like Toonami. They appeal to an older audience, but not the same kind of audience that would necessarily be interested in a block full of mostly action anime. If Adult Swim wanted to cancel Toonami, I think that would just be it for the block.

HBO Max doing something with Toonami sounds more plausible than those other channels, if only because they are going to team up with Cartoon Network, but I think that would make Toonami too much like just another anime streaming service. They would most likely still have dub premieres with some series, but I think just having episodes uploaded on a streaming service would lose kind of the appeal of Toonami. A lot of people like having live reactions to the new episodes every week and that would be lost if all of the episodes were put on HBO Max at the same time every week. They'd keep the Toonami name alive, but I don't think it would have the same kind of appeal as watching the block live on TV.

Rainbowkid37

I don't think it would move to another channel. I can't really see channels like the CW, TNT or TBS being interested in something like Toonami. They appeal to an older audience, but not the same kind of audience that would necessarily be interested in a block full of mostly action anime. If Adult Swim wanted to cancel Toonami, I think that would just be it for the block.

HBO Max doing something with Toonami sounds more plausible than those other channels, if only because they are going to team up with Cartoon Network, but I think that would make Toonami too much like just another anime streaming service. They would most likely still have dub premieres with some series, but I think just having episodes uploaded on a streaming service would lose kind of the appeal of Toonami. A lot of people like having live reactions to the new episodes every week and that would be lost if all of the episodes were put on HBO Max at the same time every week. They'd keep the Toonami name alive, but I don't think it would have the same kind of appeal as watching the block live on TV.

Good Explanation. I Remeber When The CW Did Have an Anime Block (Though it Was 4Kids) (Mmm, These Jelly Doughnuts are Great!). Though it Still Would be Cool to See T.O.M On A Free to Air Channel.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
Not Toonami, per se, but given The CW's popularity with superhero shows right now, they could make an action animation block to compete with Animation Domination. Of course, since network TV, all of the shows would have to be TV-14 or lower.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
At best, and I stress AT BEST, the corpse of Toonami would be propped up to help promote Crunchyroll. TOM and SARA are recognizable among a decent percentage of anime fans, and Crunchyroll did acknowledge them at their recent award show, so they could in theory be repurposed as unofficial mascots for Crunchyroll advertisements.

Otherwise, it's probably safe to say that Adult Swim is the end of the road for Toonami. That isn't pessimism, just the reality of a television landscape that largely moved away from anime over a decade ago and live TV viewership is on a rapid decline everywhere (though I will admit to having pessimistic feelings regarding Adult Swim's chances of survival after they lose Family Guy, which even now they're still heavily relying on). It's best to just enjoy Toonami while it lasts.

LinusFan303

Squeak
The only place it fits is really Adult Swim because it just feels like it fits like a glove and doesn't have to worry about preemption for sports and stuff. (even Tru TV gets sports once in a while) . like the other turner (or whatever networks). I don't see TNT giving it the care it would need compared to AS, for example. The CW wouldn't be on the table, the CW only airs stuff made by Warner or CBS, nothing else and they already had to beg for Sunday nights back from affiliates which they got by giving up two hours of Saturday mornings.

Rainbowkid37

The only place it fits is really Adult Swim because it just feels like it fits like a glove and doesn't have to worry about preemption for sports and stuff. (even Tru TV gets sports once in a while) . like the other turner (or whatever networks). I don't see TNT giving it the care it would need compared to AS, for example. The CW wouldn't be on the table, the CW only airs stuff made by Warner or CBS, nothing else and they already had to beg for Sunday nights back from affiliates which they got by giving up two hours of Saturday mornings.

"
The CW only airs stuff made by Warner or CBS, nothing else." *One Magnificent Morning (A Litton Entertainment Block) Has Left The Chat* Though Overall, The CW Isn't Glued to Sports (Unlike The Major 4) or Heavy Emphasis on Infomercials (Unlike ION or MyNetworkTV). Though You Forgot That One Magnificent Morning (A Non-WB or CBS Show) Was Still A Thing. Other Than That, You're Right.

Rainbowkid37

Toonami moving to another channel would not happen at all.

Are You Shure? Because Most Huge Blocks Tend to Move From One Network to Another. I mean 4Kids TV Moved From Fox to The CW, Jetix Moved From ABC Family to Toon Disney, and Qubo Moved From NBC to ION. Though All Of These Blocks Only Moved Once. (Though 4kids Did Have a Rebrand) and Looks Like Someone is An Adult Swim Fan..... (Not Me, I Only Watch Stream It for MHA.) and It's Still Possible For Toonami To Move So DON'T DOUBT IT.

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
I rule out CW as a possibility because they've cut all animation from their schedule. Also would they really want to look like they're backtracking? Does anyone else remember that Kids WB! did have a weekday afternoon Toonami block back in the day? But the main reason I don't see it going to CW is because the general appeal demand isn't high enough. Plus if they were going to do a Toonami night on CW, I can't see them cutting 2 DC Arrowverse shows that have already been renewed for another season in Supergirl and Batwoman.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Are you sure?
Yes, I'm sure.

Because most huge blocks tend to move from one network to another. I mean, 4Kids TV moved from Fox to the CW, Jetix moved trom ABC Family to Toon Disney and Qubo moved from NBC to Ion, though all of these blocks only moved once (though 4Kids did have a rebrand) and looks like someone is am Adult Swim fan..... (not me, I only watch stream it for MHA) and it's still Possible for Toonami to move, so DON'T DOUBT IT.
Except these three weren't channel hopping since Jetix on Toon Disney and Qubo on Ion began at the same time as Jetix on ABC Family and Qubo on NBC in 2004 and 2006, respectively plus The CW4Kids began airing just months before Fox phased out their 4Kids TV block.

The reason why it looks unlikely that the block will move to another network is that it wouldn't fit TNT's image (despite the network airing cartoons before and even continuing it to the mid Nineties after the launch of Cartoon Network) and The CW are focusing on their current image as the Arrowverse network, hence any chance of Toonami on that network is unlikely.

Adult/teen oriented anime blocks don't have a history of doing well. G4, IFC, SyFy, Chiller, MTV, and Fuse all come to mind. I think the ones on Starz/Encore/WAM might have lasted for a while but they constantly reran the same shows & movies and the blocks were eventually axed.

The only possibilities I could see happening in this scenario is Pluto TV airing Toonami on their Anime All Day channel or creating a whole new channel dedicated to toonami shows.

Rainbowkid37

Yes, I'm sure.

Except these three weren't channel hopping since Jetix on Toon Disney and Qubo on Ion began at the same time as Jetix on ABC Family and Qubo on NBC in 2004 and 2006, respectively plus The CW4Kids began airing just months before Fox phased out their 4Kids TV block.

The reason why it looks unlikely that the block will move to another network is that it wouldn't fit TNT's image (despite the network airing cartoons before and even continuing it to the mid Nineties after the launch of Cartoon Network) and The CW are focusing on their current image as the Arrowverse network, hence any chance of Toonami on that network is unlikely.

Even Better, Replace AS With Toonami. (Though DBZ Would Be Their TTG Though)

Light Lucario

Staff member
As cool as it would be for Toonami to replace Adult Swim, I don't think that would be possible. If they're struggling to pay for timeslots for a weekly block, I don't think that they could handle airing shows every day. Plus, I don't think that the Toonami crew are getting paid for their work on the block. I also don't know if something like Toonami taking over Adult Swim would be that well received by the general audience, especially when people still like watching Family Guy reruns on Adult Swim.

ZZenigundam

Toonami died the moment it was taken off weekdays on Cartoon Network. It's been moribund since being relegated to a once a week broadcast. The only reason it was "revived" after its initial cancelation was because it was easy to just rebrand Adult Swim Action as Toonami, given the internet support. That's all that really happened. It's only a matter of time before it's gone forever.

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
The PBS station in San Jose, California, KDEH, used to have an anime block during the 90's and 2000's, which aired every Sunday night from 8pm-after midnight. I would think that Toonami might have a possible chance airing on a public station, where censorship standards are not as strict. However, PBS seems strongly focused on family-friendly programming right now, and I highly doubt anime would air on any particular station.

Again, there is a low chance any other station will take Toonami, due to online streaming's massive presence. Almost all the series are available on Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Hulu.

I also found out on the Toonami website that you can view all the currently airing series on their site, but you have to provide your cable provider login.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts