What if The Cleveland Show returned to Adult Swim?

Toonhead2002Ultra

If Adult Swim ever decided to get the rights back to Cleveland Show from Comedy Central, how would you feel? I think it is in the realm of possibility since they were able to get back both King of the Hill and even Futurama so I think Cleveland Show would have a similar grandfather clause that those Fox shows had that newer ones don't (thanks for telling me Daikun). Feel free to respond!

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I wouldn't watch it. Probably no one else would, either. It didn't do well in the ratings and it's also one of Fox's shortest animated programs, being canned after only 3 seasons.

If AS picks it up again, I would just shrug.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I wouldn't watch it. Probably no one else would, either. It didn't do well in the ratings and it's also one of Fox's shortest animated programs, being canned after only 3 seasons.
False. It lasted four seasons. Longer than Allen Gregory, Bordertown, Napoleon Dynamite, Bless The Harts, The PJ's, Sit Down Shut Up, Bless The Harts, Duncanville, and The Critic.

The other Fox toons off the top of my head to last at least four seasons are The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, American Dad!, Bob's Burgers, and King Of The Hill. Fox airs a LOT of adult cartoons and has a tendency to cancel them after one season or two (if they are lucky).

As far as Adult Swim programming goes, I would watch the worst episode of The Cleveland Show again before I watched Xavier: Renegade Angel, Mr. Pickles, Robot Chicken, or any of the painfully unfunny crap from Tim And Eric. Don't act like The Cleveland Show is too poor of quality for the block. Compared to most of the original programming it's far above average.

Pooky

Staff member
We might finally get that fifth season in Waquahog.

AnimatedFan01

I honestly don't think it's going to happen since most Family Guy fans didn't like the show and were demanding AS to give it the axe after Cleveland had returned on Family Guy. And I don't blame them: TCS is regarded as one of the worst spin-offs in not only animation history but television history in general.

In my opinion, TCS was just Seth's miserable attempt to cash-in on the ratings of Family Guy and "dominate" FOX's Sunday Animation Domination block and its weekly co-existence on AS. It was hardly funny and full of crass and crude jokes just for the sake of it and racist humor as well. They even throw in a few cutaway gags to imitate Family Guy, showing how desperate the show was for humor.

While I'd probably take TCS over seasons 7 or 12 of Family Guy, I would still be disappointed in AS if they ever decided to return it.

Toonhead2002Ultra

I honestly don't think it's going to happen since most Family Guy fans didn't like the show and were demanding AS to give it the axe after Cleveland had returned on Family Guy. And I don't blame them: TCS is regarded as one of the worst spin-offs in not only animation history but television history in general.

In my opinion, TCS was just Seth's miserable attempt to cash-in on the ratings of Family Guy and "dominate" FOX's Sunday Animation Domination block and its weekly co-existence on AS. It was hardly funny and full of crass and crude jokes just for the sake of it and racist humor as well. They even throw in a few cutaway gags to imitate Family Guy, showing how desperate the show was for humor.

While I'd probably take TCS over seasons 7 or 12 of Family Guy, I would still be disappointed in AS if they ever decided to return it.
You make a very good point. I feel that Adult Swim chose to get the rights to King of the Hill and Futurama back from Comedy Central instead because those shows have more episodes, larger fanbases, and more of their own identity than Cleveland Show. Most people see Cleveland Show as just "black Family Guy" and a cheap way to cash in on Family Guy's success by basically making it over again. In comparison KOTH is a very different show than Beavis and Butthead, and Futurama has many differences from The Simpsons and both exist as their own entity despite those two pairs of shows sharing creators (Mike Judge and Matt Greoning respectively). Honestly I only see Cleveland Show coming back to Adult Swim as a last resort kind of thing, like if they lost another one of their Fox shows on top of Bob's Burgers or if feel their lineup after Bob's Burgers's departure isn't making them the money that they want ratings wise (Cleveland stayed on the primetime weekday lineup pretty consistently from 2013 to 2018 for some reason lol). However if Fox stuff on Adult Swim is going to be King of the Hill, Futurama, and American Dad! for years to come after '23, then I don't really see The Cleveland Show ever coming back to Adult Swim.

Moe

being canned after only 3 seasons
Actually, it is 4 seasons.

As far as Adult Swim programming goes, I would watch the worst episode of The Cleveland Show again before I watched Xavier: Renegade Angel, Mr. Pickles, Robot Chicken, or any of the painfully unfunny crap from Tim And Eric. Don't act like The Cleveland Show is too poor of quality for the block. Compared to most of the original programming it's far above average.
Most Adult Swim shows are decent in my opinion, but they aren't for family nor children, but it is hardcore adult animated shows and not much difference when violent and sexual anime shows air on Japanese TV. Not everyone like those shows.

Dynamite Soldier

Nah, Adult Swim already has enough Fox saturation. Its schedule is already very mediocre.

The Cleveland Show only has 88 episodes compared to the bigger hits like Futurama and KOTH, so it just being on one network (FXX) should be enough (had Comedy Central lost the rights).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/

Featured Posts