What if Nick were owned by a company other than Viacom?

Latest News & Videos

TheJLeeTeam

Keldeo is best Pony
Sep 9, 2018
USA
For instance I could imagine Nick being owned by Universal, they would have the Dreamworks library to fall back on in addition to their in house shows. They used to air Penguins, Kung Fu Panda, Monsters Vs Aliens and on Nicktoons they had Voltron Force. So they could have access to shows like Trollhunters, Harvey Street Kids and Voltron: Legendary Defender. Not to mention Nickelodeon Studios used to be part of Universal in Florida.

I’m sure Nick would still be very corporate if it were owned by Universal but they could have a bigger library of content.

Reactions: Zanneck

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
For instance I could imagine Nick being owned by Universal, they would have the Dreamworks library to fall back on in addition to their in house shows. They used to air Penguins, Kung Fu Panda, Monsters Vs Aliens and on Nicktoons they had Voltron Force. So they could have access to shows like Trollhunters, Harvey Street Kids and Voltron: Legendary Defender. Not to mention Nickelodeon Studios used to be part of Universal in Florida.

I’m sure Nick would still be very corporate if it were owned by Universal but they could have a bigger library of content.
That would've worked well in the long run.

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016
Well if Viacom never purchased it back in the 1980s, it would be a part of WarnerMedia today.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Well if Viacom never purchased it back in the 1980s, it would be a part of WarnerMedia today.
That and MTV plus MTV wouldn't be the only channel that Warner Media previously owned since in 1993, they launched Viva in Germany before said network was sold to Viacom in 2005 and that channel sadly ceased operations nine days ago.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA

It's good to dream... Too bad this sounds like a better reality, without question.

sasq

Oct 5, 2015
Italy
What if Columbia had bought MTV Networks instead? what synergies MTV later could have had with Sony Music and would have Nick Japan have been more successful if it were owned by a Japanese company?

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
What if Columbia had bought MTV Networks instead? What synergies MTV later could have had with Sony Music and would have Nick Japan have been more successful if it were owned by a Japanese company?
That would've been a good idea, though people would accuse of them being biased towards Sony Music.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
To be exact, all three networks (MTV, Nickelodeon, and VH1) probably would have never been "MTV Networks" in the first place. OTOH, they probably still wouldn't be called "Warner-Amex* Satellite Entertainment". Warner Bros. probably would have called them something else, or all three networks would have probably had their original shows talk about "Warner Cable". Here's one example:

Double Dare: (c)1986 Warner Cable (a Warner Communications company)^

You might want to look around the internet about something called "QUBE". It was a really great idea. Besides having special cable channels, you could also take live surveys where you could answer questions using a special remote. In fact, I heard about a channel called "SIght on Sound", which was MTV before MTV existed. Using the remote, you pick which video they might play next. They even had plans for things like electronic shopping...

I'm bringing this up because part of the reason the three networks were sold to Viacom was because they lost a lot of money on the QUBE service, which by the way is where Pinwheel (which was never really a "network", it was a TV show that had it's own TV channel+) originally came from.

Still, I have to agree, if they didn't, they would probably be part of Warner Bros. (in some way) today.

EDIT: I just wanted to do a little update on this post about what the three networks would have been called if Warner Bros. still owned them. I know I said Warner Cable before, but another possibility would be that any thing airs on the three networks would probably just refer to "Warner Communications/Time-Warner/WarnerMedia".

*It was a partnership between Warner Bros. cable TV division (now part of Spectrum), and American Express (as in the credit card company).

^Parentheses because this part probably would have been optional.

+I imagine that when Nickelodeon launched back in 1979, it probably took over the channel that Pinwheel was on, especially since Pinwheel originally aired on Nickelodeon.

Last edited: