I Learned Something Today

harry580

Laika technically produced South Park at least season 1, I mean, celluloid studios produced only the first season, after season 1, they left the show and its was later bought by will vinton studios, after will vinton left the studio & Phil knight taking over it in 2002, its became laika, so yes, laika, the studio that made Coraline, technically produced the first season of south park

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Today I learned DIC made a Dennis the Menace movie in 2002, set in the same continuity as the 80s cartoon, same designs and everything, 15 years after the show ended. Except the original voice for Mr. Wilson was no longer available so they substituted....Tom Arnold.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
A small billboard for Wendy's can be seen in the London Underground chase scene located at the Tottenham Court Road station in An American Werewolf in London due to the fact that this was during the American fast food giant's first attempt at expanding in the UK, which they suceeded in their third attempt that began two years ago.

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
TIL my paper is going to change its comics. Among the ones going away are B.C and Mother Goose & Grimm. WTF? If anything, get rid of the Family Circus and the bridge column. Who plays bridge anymore?

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Today I learned The Flintstones not only promoted cigarettes, but beer.
However, this time it was a promotional cartoon produced to be watched internally at Anheuser-Busch.

harry580

the movie hook is filmed in the soundstages that previously used for the filming of wizard of oz in which Steven Spielberg originally said this will be the wizard of oz for the new generation

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Carrie Underwood's Sunday Night Football theme has the same melody as Joan Jett and the Blackhearts' "I Hate Myself for Loving You".

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
This one's REALLY interesting. Today I learned the publisher of Spider-Man comics in Mexico was so outraged at the death of Gwen Stacy in 1973, they cut off continuity with the American version and produced their own alternate Spider-Man series where Gwen lives (and even marries Parker!) 45 issues of it were made before they switched back.

That blows my mind, not only that they were allowed to do that, but that I've been on the Internet for over twenty years and no one has ever brought this comic up. Marvel has never translated the comic either. They should consider it -- there'd be a demand.

El Hombre Araña! Why Mexico created an alternate Spider-Man in the 70s | Comics and graphic novels | The Guardian

Mandouga

So Wonder Woman had a twin sister (before the…you know, “CoIE”). It seems that…(spoilers for those who haven’t heard the story yet)

In a retconned version of Wonder Woman’s origin story, Hippolyta created two babies from clay, a dark skinned one, and a light skinned one, but Mars, the God of War abducted the dark skinned one.

They ended up fighting each other, but Nubia was never really a villain, she was just under mind control. As for what I put in the spoiler tags, I think this will sound familiar to Masters of the Universe/Princess of Power fans (hint, hint…). She made only a couple or so appearances after that before new versions of her were created after the “you-know-what”.

Oh yeah…

Nubia was also DC Comics’ first black female superhero when she first appeared back in 1973.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Fox is the only Big Four US TV broadcaster to have never aired NBA games, though their former regional sports networks did before being rebranded as Bally Sports.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Disney had a character before Oswald called Julius the Cat. He was created for the Alice Comedies (which I did know of but I never bothered to really read up on them or I might have learned of Julius sooner). He also faced Pete before Mickey. Doesn't look like he's really been used much since that time.

Mandouga

You know that classical music piece that plays in animated shorts whenever it’s morning? It turns out that it’s part of—believe it or not—the William Tell Overture (more on that later). It’s the third movement, called the “Ranz de Vaches”

The second movement, “The Storm” is the one that plays in the Mickey Mouse short “The Band Concert”, when the tornado happens.

The “William Tell Overture” that most people are familiar with is the Finale. It’s the part that’s used for The Lone Ranger theme.

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
It's a piece by Grieg, part of the Peer Gynt suite. It's called "Morning." I know because I'm listening to it right now on the classical music station.

Mandouga

It's a piece by Grieg, part of the Peer Gynt suite. It's called "Morning." I know because I'm listening to it right now on the classical music station.

I listened to a little of that one on You Tube, and it’s a totally different piece from the one I was talking about (OTOH, I’ve heard of that one too). I was talking about the piece heard on numerous “morning” scenes on (for instance) classic Warner Bros. shorts. “Daffy Duck and Egghead” is one example.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
American hair metal band Cinderella did a commercial for hot dog restaurant Pat's Chili Dogs in 1983, three years before the release of their debut album.

Mandouga

“Well, blow me down!” It turns out that “Popeye” is also the name of a Japanese men’s fashion magazine. Does this mean the Japanese fashion industry has “eaten its spinach” over the years?…

It even has a sister magazine called “Brutus” (but not “Bluto”*) which is a men’s pop culture and lifestyle magazine. However, there is no “Olive Oyl” magazine. OTOH, Popeye was originally a male version of a magazine called “an an”. These days, a magazine called “Nylon” is considered to be equivalent to “Popeye”.

I don’t know if Magazine House (who publishes these magazines) has any food magazines, but I doubt any of them would be called “Wimpy”…

*When the shorts from the 1960s were being made, Bluto was temporarily renamed “Brutus”, because King Features Syndicate was worried that “Bluto” sounded too much like “Pluto” (as in the Disney character). KFS didn’t even know (at first) that “Bluto the Terrible” had appeared in one early “Thimble Theater” comic strip, long before Fleischer (sp?) Studios started making the first black and white Popeye shorts.

EDIT (10-27-23):

I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but Red Dawn was the first movie to be released with a PG-13 rating.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts