What if Hasbro and/or DHX Media were bought by Disney?

JaredCap43™

Forever, Fight as One!
Earlier this month, I made an April Fools joke about Disney buying DHX Media and Hasbro. I thought that if it happened, Disney would gain a lot of content in their library.

Possibilities:
Cheap webtoon remakes of Disney shows (a la “Caillou”)
The DiC/Saban Co-Productions can get released on Disney+, have merchandise, get reboots, etc.
Disney will have Power Rangers again
Disney can make Mickey Mouse variants of My Little Pony and Transformers characters
Disney can open DHX attractions in their parks

What do you think of this proposal? Do you have any suggestions or possibilities?

NeoplanDan

Just Think Twice Before You Say Anything
They ain't messing with Hasbro so, there are out of the pictures, as far as DHX, i wouldn't recommend seeing Disney ever bothering with that, and don't ever mention WarnerMedia cuz that ain't happening.

Dudley

Staff member
I don’t see it happening with DHX. Disney bought big iconic properties with their past acquisitions. DHX’s properties aren’t as big as Star Wars or Marvel. I don’t think their library is worth it compared to what Disney now already has. It’ll just be a lot of filler for their SVOD platform. Also, this means Disney will acquire more movie and animation studios, and a certain point, that might be too much to handle. It would be interesting to see how Disney will handle DHX’s Vancouver studio. Will DTVA have its animation outsourced there?
Wont they get the Canadian versions of the Disney Channels, or is that handled by Corus?

Hasbro will be interesting. That’s a lot of properties that Disney will try to make into big budget movies, and not all of them will do good. Not to mention a lot of them are tied to a deal with Universal, and Disney might not want to share film rights. Disney probably doesn’t want to have Power Rangers again, but it’d make for good filler programming for
Disney XD. They’ll probably sell their stake of Discovery Family, and move all Hasbro programming to Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney+.
Will Disney keep the toy manufacturing part of Hasbro? One article speculated that could be spun off and Disney will license the toy rights to the new company, or any other company.

It’ll be interesting to see what else Disney will buy in the future, if anything.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
It would be interesting to see how Disney will handle DHX’s Vancouver studio. Will DTVA have its animation outsourced there?
Wont they get the Canadian versions of the Disney Channels, or is that handled by Corus?

Disney has an abysmal track record with regards to operating Canadian studios. They'd probably shutter it within three years.

Corus owns the four Disney channels in Canada. The CRTC is still antsy about foreign ownership of broadcasters.

JaredCap43™

Forever, Fight as One!
Might make further edits to this:

I know it's been months but here are other possibilities:
Disney could revive/reboot some older Hasbro properties such as Jem, Visionaries, Wuzzles, etc.
Cedar Fair will probably get rid of their Peanuts attractions and put something else in their place, perhaps they'll do Nickelodeon Central with current Nick shows.
Caillou could possibly get a ride or appear at Disney World
Princess Presto (if you don't know who she is, she's one of the Super Readers from Super Why) becomes a Disney Princess, and Super Why joins the Avengers
Perhaps the Hasbro shows (and every kids show owned, but not made by Disney) can go under the DHX branding, and perhaps the Marvel shows as well.

"DHX" shows that might escape Distribution Limbo:
The 80's Alvin and the Chipmunks series (I think Fox owns the show, since they released DVD's of it, and DiC produced the last 3 seasons of it)
Camp Candy (One website says that CBS owns it, but I haven't seen any other proof that says so)
The DiC episodes of G.I. Joe
Kidd Video (unless Disney is too busy to get clearance for the songs)
Ultraforce (based on a Marvel comic)

DHX shows that will probably be sold off to other companies or fall into Distribution Limbo:
Are You Afraid of the Dark? (It's a Nickelodeon co-production)
The puppet segments from Caillou (they were created for the PBS Kids version, and Disney will probably license the Teletoon/Treehouse version)
Captain N: The Game Master (since it has licensed characters in it)
The HiT Entertainment/Mattel titles in DHX's library (since HiT is owned by Mattel, and the latter is rivals with Hasbro)
Johnny Test (or at least the first season, maybe the second as well, since the rights would be shared between Disney and Warner Bros.)
The Legend of Zelda (The rights will probably go to Nintendo if Disney doesn't want it)
The Mario Cartoons (The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, like Zelda, Nintendo will probably buy these)
The Sonic Cartoons (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, SatAM, Sonic Underground, the rights will probably go to Sega, if they do so, then the SatAM characters can appear in other media)

Shows from other companies that could possibly fall into Distribution Limbo or sold to DHX/Disney:
Hanna-Barbera's version of Paddington Bear (DHX owns the two other versions, but with Nickelodeon planning a reboot, the other shows could go to Viacom)

"DHX" shows currently owned by other companies that could fall into Distribution Limbo:
Captain Planet and the Planeteers (The later seasons were made by Hanna-Barbera, whose library is owned by WarnerMedia)

One notable show that DHX no longer owns is Arthur, which is now produced by 9Story Entertainment and distributed by PBS International, so it's safe from the White Gloves unless PBS decides to sell it back to DHX (probably when Marc Brown dies at the earliest). If PBS wants to save Caillou (or any other DHX show that they aired) from Disney, then they better do so before something like this happens...

JaredCap43™

Forever, Fight as One!
Hasbro is about to buy eOne Entertainment, a Canadian company that owns Peppa Pig (which airs on Nick Jr.) and PJ Masks (which airs on Disney Junior), meaning that if Disney buys them, they will completely own PJ Masks. This also means that there can be American-owned Canadian companies after all.

PF9

Disney probably won't be the only media company interested in buying Hasbro

NBCUniversal, WarnerMedia and Viacom might show interest too. The latter owns film rights to several Hasbro properties such as GI Joe and Transformers. The former would be very interested in adding eOne's stake in Amblin Partners to its own.

Expect a bidding war.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Nah, Hasbro has ties to other media companies. Remember the main reason why the DreamWorks Animation deal fell flat? Disney could be a pipe dream but would you really want another big company swallowed by the House of Mouse?