What if Hanna-Barbera produced 'all' the Marvel 60's toons?

Hypestyle

we already know what happened with Fantastic Four..

what if they also did:

• Spider-Man
  • Incredible Hulk
  • Thor
  • Sub-Mariner
  • X-Men (1960's-- no wolverine!)
  • Daredevil
  • Dr. Strange
  • Avengers
heh-heh... would have been cool, anyway..

scholars of 60's-era H.B. toons, who do you think might have done some voices?

what would have been your favorite 60's-era storylines to adapt?

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
we already know what happened with Fantastic Four..

what if they also did:
  • Spider-Man
  • Incredible Hulk
  • Thor
  • Sub-Mariner
  • X-Men (1960's-- no wolverine!)
  • Daredevil
  • Dr. Strange
  • Avengers
heh-heh... would have been cool, anyway..

scholars of 60's-era H.B. toons, who do you think might have done some voices?

what would have been your favorite 60's-era storylines to adapt?
Spider-Man had better animation than the Fantastic Four.
For the rest; I'm absolutely clueless

JosephH1998

don't forget "The Ant-Man & The Wasp", NBC would've picked it up for the fall 1968 Saturday AM schedule (until the growing backlash against violent cartoons (following RFK's assassination) took effect).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
don't forget "The Ant-Man & The Wasp", NBC would've picked it up for the fall 1968 Saturday AM schedule (until the growing backlash against violent cartoons (following RFK's assassination) took effect).
Ant-Man and Wasp? I've never heard of this before. Who would have been the studio behind it? I wonder if there was a pilot made. This reminds me of the Filmation Metamorpho stuff that never saw the light of day.

I love The Fantastic Four, and have since my days as a tiny Rick Jones. I always think it's cool that the show was running back to back with Season 1 of Spider-Man on ABC. I think that the animation might be just a bit wonkier than the other HB action shows of the time but there's something about seeing a superhero show from the time when the property was at its prime (like Fleischer Superman or 90s X-Men) that can't be matched.

I think of hypothetical stuff like this too often. One hypothetical that I think would have been great would have been a Spider-Man/Fantastic Four movie from that time. ABC used to have this program of specials called the Saturday Super Movie or something, where they'd get the studios behind some of their cartoons to produce animated tv movies. If Hanna Barbera was somehow able to use Spider-Man, and ABC commissioned a movie of a crossover, that could have been too cool

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JosephH1998

Ant-Man and Wasp? I've never heard of this before. Who would have been the studio behind it? I wonder if there was a pilot made. This reminds me of the Filmation Metamorpho stuff that never saw the light of day.

Hanna-Barbera would've been behind it, and besides that parental groups were already at H-B/CBS's throats for violence on television. Plus, the superhero genre was falling out of the step with the times again, with the mood darkening in America by the continuing war in Vietnam and the deaths of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy (that's when the media watchdogs were starting to organize against the violence on television).

Last edited:

VintageToonFan

I feel that if HB would have done the Marvel cartoons, they could have been some of the best Marvel cartoons and most faithful to the comics. The 67 FF cartoon is still the best FF cartoon so far due to basically being like the comics, but having some differences that gives it its own identity. Unfortunately, like 67 FF, they would have ended up being unreleased in home video.

Here are some casting choices that I feel would have been great for the cartoons:

Spider-Man/Peter Parker - Ronnie Schell

J. Jonah Jameson - Bill Woodson

Betty Brant - Jane Webb

The Hulk/Banner - Bob Holt/Michael Bell

Thor - Vic Perrin

Sub-Mariner - Bill Woodson

Professor X - John Stephenson

Cyclops - Stan Jones

Angel - Norm Alden

Iceman - Frank Welker

Beast - Michael Rye

Jean Grey - Ginny Tyler

Daredevil - Frank Welker

Dr. Strange - Bill Woodson

Captain America - Regis Cordic

Iron Man - William Marshall

Ant-Man - Casey Kasem

Wasp - Janet Waldo

Freddy

I feel that if HB would have done the Marvel cartoons, they could have been some of the best Marvel cartoons and most faithful to the comics. The 67 FF cartoon is still the best FF cartoon so far due to basically being like the comics.

We are talking about the same show where Human Torch was replaced by a wacky robot, Namor was some blue fishguy called Triton and in the spin-off show the Thing was a teenager who turned into his rocky form with the magical "thing ring"?

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
We are talking about the same show where Human Torch was replaced by a wacky robot, Namor was some blue fishguy called Triton and in the spin-off show the Thing was a teenager who turned into his rocky form with the magical "thing ring"?
The robot, HERBIE, was in The New Fantastic Four series done by DePatie Freleng in the 70s. Supposedly, the Torch couldn't be used because his rights were held by Universal at the time. It's funny how this was the FF series that both Stan and Jack happened to work on.

Triton was the Namor replacement in the 67 series, most likely because Namor was part of Grantray-Lawrence's Marvel Super-Heroes show. He is pretty much Namor in everything but name and skin tone. They managed to use other trademarked characters like Lady Dorma and Attuma, so character rights must have worked pretty differently back then. Even characters like Mole Man and Dr Doom were in both series, so the title character(s) was probably the only one whose rights were exclusive. I, myself didn't realize Triton wasn't 100% Namor until I rewatched the cartoon as an adult.

There is nothing connecting The Fantastic Four to The Thing shorts that were part of the series with Fred and Barney outside of The Thing himself and the fact that Hanna Barbera were making them. The tone of the shorts were completely different and nothing from the wider FF mythos makes it in except a version of the Yancy Street Gang. It wouldn't really be fair to critique one series based on random media made over a decade later and with different intentions.

Last edited:

VintageToonFan

Like Rick said, HERBIE was in the 70's show, which I unfortunately found to be a bit bland and boring.

And the less said about the Fred and Barney Thing shorts, the better. They were made long after the 67 show ended, so I don't put them in the same place.

Triton was basically a Namor replacement, but the thing is that I feel this is one of those few changes that gave the 67 FF show its own identity instead of just being a straightforward retelling of the comic stories (that was the aim, but sometimes there can be stuff that works in the comics, but can't always work in the cartoon).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I've been watching 60s cartoons this weekend, and it just got me thinking about this topic again, especially while I watched Mightor and Moby Dick. Mightor always felt like a Thor analogue and as I watched it now, I could just really picture how cool actual Thor cartoons would have been from HB. Then with Moby-Dick, I could really picture the underwater adventures of the Sub-Mariner, much like we already got a glimpse of in the Fantastic Four episode.

If Hanna-Barbera were working on the animation for all of the shows done by Grantray Lawrence, these are some of the lead voices I'd go with:

Ted Cassidy - Hulk. This would be a little extra cool since he narrated the live-action show.

Don Messick - Bruce Banner. He was perfect in all of his sixties scientist roles.

Tim Matheson - Spider-Man. I don't know if he would have done as good a job differentiating his voice between Peter and Spidey as Paul Soles did but I do generally think Tim Matheson is great. He's been great in every comedic or dramatic role I've seen him in, and he was already doing a lot of voice work for Hanna Barbera as Johnny Quest, Young Samson and Jace from Space Ghost. He would have been a natural fit.

John Stephenson - Iron Man. I love John whenever I hear his voice. I could really picture him doing the cool and confident voice of Tony Stark and the heroic and brash voice of Iron Man. Then he's also had experience as playboy types, scientists and heroes, so this would just be a combo role.

Mike Road - Sub-Mariner. He was pretty much already Namor. He was always excellent as well.

Bruce Watson - Captain America. I don't know. I thought he seemed to have just the right mix of leadership and youthfulness that I'd like when he played D'Artagnan in the Three Musketeers segments of Banana Splits.

Barney Phillips - Thor. His booming voice sounded great in roles like Shazzan and I would have loved to hear him pull off Thor.

VintageToonFan

I've been watching 60s cartoons this weekend, and it just got me thinking about this topic again, especially while I watched Mightor and Moby Dick. Mightor always felt like a Thor analogue and as I watched it now, I could just really picture how cool actual Thor cartoons would have been from HB. Then with Moby-Dick, I could really picture the underwater adventures of the Sub-Mariner, much like we already got a glimpse of in the Fantastic Four episode.

If Hanna-Barbera were working on the animation for all of the shows done by Grantray Lawrence, these are some of the lead voices I'd go with:

Ted Cassidy - Hulk. This would be a little extra cool since he narrated the live-action show.

Don Messick - Bruce Banner. He was perfect in all of his sixties scientist roles.

Tim Matheson - Spider-Man. I don't know if he would have done as good a job differentiating his voice between Peter and Spidey as Paul Soles did but I do generally think Tim Matheson is great. He's been great in every comedic or dramatic role I've seen him in, and he was already doing a lot of voice work for Hanna Barbera as Johnny Quest, Young Samson and Jace from Space Ghost. He would have been a natural fit.

John Stephenson - Iron Man. I love John whenever I hear his voice. I could really picture him doing the cool and confident voice of Tony Stark and the heroic and brash voice of Iron Man. Then he's also had experience as playboy types, scientists and heroes, so this would just be a combo role.

Mike Road - Sub-Mariner. He was pretty much already Namor. He was always excellent as well.

Bruce Watson - Captain America. I don't know. I thought he seemed to have just the right mix of leadership and youthfulness that I'd like when he played D'Artagnan in the Three Musketeers segments of Banana Splits.

Barney Phillips - Thor. His booming voice sounded great in roles like Shazzan and I would have loved to hear him pull off Thor.

Ted not only did the narration of the Hulk TV show, but he also provided the growls and roars of the Hulk until season two of the series (he passed away by the start of production of season three and the Hulk was voiced by Charles Napier in the following episodes).

John Stephenson as Iron Man sounds very interesting. I could get behind that choice. I also think that if he had lived longer, Everett Sloane could have been a pretty good Iron Man, too.

Although I do like the idea of Barney Phillips as Thor, I always felt he would have been a great Odin.

JosephH1998

Well as for The Ant-Man (which first appeared on the "Marvel Super Heroes" in 1966), the Grantray-Lawrence Animation studio shut down and went bankrupt by 1967 (their last productions were Max, the 2000-Year-Old Mouse (for ITV) and Spider-Man for ABC (in which distributor Krantz Films took over production by S2)), it would've ran on a late-afternoon slot following DePatie-Freleng's "Super President" (which was gone by mid-season 1968/69), it if had made it to air (or was ordered before, during or around the time of Sen. Robert Kennedy's assassination) then the animators/production crew would've spent a frantic summer re-examining certain scenes (stripping out violence) to eliminate what would be considered "excessive violence" in the post-Kennedy assassination climate. Their live-action counterparts were doing the same (look at what happened to "The Outsider" (NBC) and "The Outcasts" (ABC)), since all the new programs for 1968-69 had to go through a check on violence (under President Johnson's Commission). It would've been paired with "Young Samson" (2nd unofficial season) for its first season.

Last edited:

coldglynx

I love that show. Because it gave us this great moment.

I just love wacky moments in old cartoons and I always get a kick from this scene.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
As it is now DIsney needs to engineer some trade to get the rights to the H-B F4 cartoon. They could trade the rights to the 1960s Batman franchise to WarnerMedia for that, and also, New Line's Blade franchise, the H-B Thing cartoon, WarnerMedia's remaining rights to Star Wars: The Clone Wars (movie and TV show), and I think there are some other things Disney might want from WarnerMedia I'm not sure right off the bat.

coldglynx

As it is now DIsney needs to engineer some trade to get the rights to the H-B F4 cartoon. They could trade the rights to the 1960s Batman franchise to WarnerMedia for that, and also, New Line's Blade franchise, the H-B Thing cartoon, WarnerMedia's remaining rights to Star Wars: The Clone Wars (movie and TV show), and I think there are some other things Disney might want from WarnerMedia I'm not sure right off the bat.
Don't forget Nickelodeans Doug seasons. Although I think thats on HULU already lol. Can't watch the Disney seasons without the Nick seasons.

Last edited:

JosephH1998

I feel that if HB would have done the Marvel cartoons, they could have been some of the best Marvel cartoons and most faithful to the comics. The 67 FF cartoon is still the best FF cartoon so far due to basically being like the comics, but having some differences that gives it its own identity. Unfortunately, like 67 FF, they would have ended up being unreleased in home video.

Here are some casting choices that I feel would have been great for the cartoons:

Spider-Man/Peter Parker - Ronnie Schell

J. Jonah Jameson - Bill Woodson

Betty Brant - Jane Webb

The Hulk/Banner - Bob Holt/Michael Bell

Thor - Vic Perrin

Sub-Mariner - Bill Woodson

Professor X - John Stephenson

Cyclops - Stan Jones

Angel - Norm Alden

Iceman - Frank Welker

Beast - Michael Rye

Jean Grey - Ginny Tyler

Daredevil - Frank Welker

Dr. Strange - Bill Woodson

Captain America - Regis Cordic

Iron Man - William Marshall

Ant-Man - Casey Kasem

Wasp - Janet Waldo
As for that incarnation of The Ant-Man, Don Messick would've done Antony (Ant-Man's pet and loyal steed) whiles Tim Matheson (original voice of Jonny Quest) would've done The Ant-Laud (a previous unknown character that would've acted as the Ant-Man's Teenage sidekick).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts