What if Fox Kids continued after 2002?

Latest News

JaredCap43™

Forever, Fight as One!
May 11, 2016
Ratings
402 7
Baltimore, MD
The reason why Fox Kids was replaced by FoxBox in 2002 was because of the block, along with Fox Family's dwindling ratings, leading to them being sold to Disney in 2001.

I wonder if there were any plans for the 2002-2003 season. Shin Chan was airing on most of the international feeds at the time (with Spain being an exception since Cartoon Network had the rights), though the US and Anglophone Canada never got to see the show until 2006/2007 when Funimation bought the license. Is it possible that "X-Men: Evolution" was originally intended to air on Fox Kids, or was it meant to be on Kids WB from the start? I would also be interested to know about any other pilots that were pitched to Fox Kids at the time.

What do you think Fox Kids would have been like if it lasted for 1 more season?

Red Arrow

Proud Beneluxer
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,509 67 1
Belgium
So you mean: what if Disney hadn't bought Fox Kids? Right?

Since Jetix Europe had more or less the same management as Fox Kids Europe, I think the channel wouldn't have changed that much in Europe. It would probably be more or less the same, but without the 5 Jetix originals (SRMTHFG, W.I.T.C.H., Get Ed, Yin Yang Yo, Pucca).

I don't think there would be any new Fox Kids originals. Both Life with Louie and Bobby's World ended in 1998. All other Fox Kids originals ended earlier on. The American Fox Kids (2002-2009) would probably look a lot like Jetix Europe did in the 00s. Lots of third-party shows. Lots of action.

The American Fox Kids probably wouldn't have mistreated Totally Spies and What's with Andy like Disney did, so TS wouldn't get moved to Cartoon Network. Martin Mystery would end up on the American Fox Kids rather than Nicktoons.

Overall I prefer it this way. W.I.T.C.H. was a really good show.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,253 36 1
Austin, Texas
I don't picture it to have lasted long, around that time most Saturday morning cartoons were talking quite a hit and had it continued it wouldn't have lasted much longer, even with good shows it just wasn't doing much better.

Mostezli

Corroborating with EVIL
May 28, 2014
Ratings
648 1
I don't picture it to have lasted long, around that time most Saturday morning cartoons were talking quite a hit and had it continued it wouldn't have lasted much longer, even with good shows it just wasn't doing much better.
This was the early noughties. The Saturday morning cartoon blocks were still across 4-5 networks.
I genuinely thought they just rebranded Fox Kids to 4kids rather than a complete overhaul.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
925 16
Springfield, MO
Well, the 4th season of Digimon (aka "Digimon Frontier") would've aired on Fox Kids, not on ABC Family.

The 2003 "Ninja Turtles" aired on Fox Box. Would it have aired on Fox if "Fox Kids" had continued?

I just can't imagine Fox Kids would've survived much longer, unless it found a real game changer for their line-up. Digimon was great, but it wasn't enough to keep Fox Kids afloat. "Kids WB" was in the middle of an action cartoon rennesance (so to speak), with shows like "Jackie Chan Adventures", "Static Shock", "Batman Beyond", "The Zeta Project", "X-Men: Evolution", and "Max Steel". How was Fox Kids going to keep up with that?

mimitchi33

Kiratto PriChan, On Air!
Jul 5, 2010
Ratings
73 1
I heard that the Vitello Shin-Chan dub, as well as a dub of Detective Conan called Conan's Capers, would've aired on there during that time if Disney didn't buy them out.

Red Arrow

Proud Beneluxer
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,509 67 1
Belgium
Well, the 4th season of Digimon (aka "Digimon Frontier") would've aired on Fox Kids, not on ABC Family.

The 2003 "Ninja Turtles" aired on Fox Box. Would it have aired on Fox if "Fox Kids" had continued?

I just can't imagine Fox Kids would've survived much longer, unless it found a real game changer for their line-up. Digimon was great, but it wasn't enough to keep Fox Kids afloat. "Kids WB" was in the middle of an action cartoon rennesance (so to speak), with shows like "Jackie Chan Adventures", "Static Shock", "Batman Beyond", "The Zeta Project", "X-Men: Evolution", and "Max Steel". How was Fox Kids going to keep up with that?
Fox Kids/Jetix had plenty of other action shows in Latin America, Europe, Africa, Russia and Australia. Aside from the 5 Jetix originals and the shows that aired on Fox Kids USA like Medabots and Digimon, they also aired:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003), He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002), Biker Mice from Mars (2006), Battle B-Daman, Bobobo Bobo Bobo, Sonic X, Naruto, Megaman NT Warrior, Naruto, Oban Star Racers, Samurai Pizza Cats, Shaman King, Shinzo, Super Pig, Beyblade, Shinzo, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon, Totally Spies, Martin Mystery, Team Galaxy, The Amazing Spiez, Monster Buster Club, A.T.O.M., Code Lyoko, Diabolik, Galaktik Football, Gadget and the Gadgentinis, World of Quest, Huntik: Secrets and Seekers, Jackie Chan Adventures, all Transformers series, Grossology etc.

Most of these were international deals. They bought the broadcasting rights for several continents. Fox Kids USA would have aired many of these.

The USA had both Fox Box and Jetix. I think one channel with a mixture of both would have done better.

The launch of Disney XD as Jetix's replacement has definitely contributed to the decrease in popularity of anime worldwide...

Last edited:

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
704 2
Canada

TMNT 2K3 would have helped matters if Fox Kids had gotten it, and it along with Digimon would have maybe kept the block running for a couple more years, though I see it lasting no longer than 2005. However, there's a important detail we're missing. TMNT 2K3 was developed by 4Kids, and only ended up on Fox Box because 4Kids got the rights to the block. In this alternate history we're discussing, the only way Fox Kids lasts after 2002 is if 4Kids doesn't take it over. With that being the case, why would Fox Kids have gotten TMNT 2K3? Kids WB was already airing other 4Kids shows like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, so it makes sense that 4Kids would have given TMNT to them instead of Fox Kids. This would have made Kids WB even more of a juggernaut. So really, Fox Kids was doomed whether it was taken over by 4Kids or not. There was no way to compete with Kids WB, and the possible addition of TMNT would have made that even more true.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
925 16
Springfield, MO
TMNT 2K3 would have helped matters if Fox Kids had gotten it, and it along with Digimon would have maybe kept the block running for a couple more years, though I see it lasting no longer than 2005. However, there's a important detail we're missing. TMNT 2K3 was developed by 4Kids, and only ended up on Fox Box because 4Kids got the rights to the block. In this alternate history we're discussing, the only way Fox Kids lasts after 2002 is if 4Kids doesn't take it over. With that being the case, why would Fox Kids have gotten TMNT 2K3? Kids WB was already airing other 4Kids shows like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, so it makes sense that 4Kids would have given TMNT to them instead of Fox Kids. This would have made Kids WB even more of a juggernaut. So really, Fox Kids was doomed whether it was taken over by 4Kids or not. There was no way to compete with Kids WB, and the possible addition of TMNT would have made that even more true.
So to really prevent the demise of "Fox Kids", you have to go back even further in time and prevent "Saban Entertainment" (the company that owned "Power Rangers" distribution rights) from merging with Fox Kids in 1996. It was Saban that lead the sale of "Fox Kids" to Disney in 2001, thus ending Fox Kids.

I think Fox Kids was forced to merge with Saban after many of it's shows left for the newly formed "Kids WB" in 1995. That's why Fox Kids started airing more and more strange animation shows like "Sam & Max: Freelance Police" and "Cybersix", and the 1997 Godzilla cartoon (all of which may be cult favorites, but were never going to take off in popularity) along with live-action stuff ("Goosebumps", "Big Bad Beetleborgs", "Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation", and "Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog"), many of those being "Saban" shows.

So to REALLY prevent the demise of Fox Kids, you have to prevent the creation of Kids WB in 1995.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

Proud Beneluxer
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,509 67 1
Belgium
And then Kids WB ended in 2008, only 6 years later on...

What I don't understand is why Kids WB never much interest in the international market, if it really was doing so much better. The Kids WB brand was only used in the USA, Australia and Bulgaria. (and Australia still has that Kids WB block)

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
925 16
Springfield, MO
It feels like Kids WB died because of external factors (primarily the merging of The WB with UPN) along with the changing anime landscape (the crash of the anime market from 2006 to 2008 / the loss of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh to Cartoon Network). If they hadn't merged with UPN, who knows? The Kids WB brand was still strong enough, it should've been able to carry on...

Fox Kids felt like it was hanging on by a thread from 1997 onward, it was never going to recapture the glory days of the period from 1992 to 1995.

Last edited:

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
704 2
Canada
So to really prevent the demise of "Fox Kids", you have to go back even further in time and prevent "Saban Entertainment" (the company that owned "Power Rangers" distribution rights) from merging with Fox Kids in 1996. It was Saban that lead the sale of "Fox Kids" to Disney in 2001, thus ending Fox Kids.

I think Fox Kids was forced to merge with Saban after many of it's shows left for the newly formed "Kids WB" in 1995. That's why Fox Kids started airing more and more strange animation shows like "Sam & Max: Freelance Police" and "Cybersix", and the 1997 Godzilla cartoon (all of which may be cult favorites, but were never going to take off in popularity) along with live-action stuff ("Goosebumps", "Big Bad Beetleborgs", "Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation", and "Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog"), many of those being "Saban" shows.

So to REALLY prevent the demise of Fox Kids, you have to prevent the creation of Kids WB in 1995.
Yeah, I guess that there was never going to be a way for Fox Kids to compete with Kids WB. I guess where I was coming from was more simple: what if Saban had kept the block, not sold to Disney, and the 4Kids purchase never happened. I guess what we're getting at was that the block was doomed either way. I find it ironic that you say the block was dying by 1997, because that was around the time I truly started watching it. I don't know if it was hanging by a thread by then, Digimon was a big hit and it was still a couple years away. Power Rangers was also still going pretty strong. That said, I understand that it was no longer in its prime, not without Batman, X-Men, etc.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
925 16
Springfield, MO
Yeah, I guess that there was never going to be a way for Fox Kids to compete with Kids WB. I guess where I was coming from was more simple: what if Saban had kept the block, not sold to Disney, and the 4Kids purchase never happened. I guess what we're getting at was that the block was doomed either way. I find it ironic that you say the block was dying by 1997, because that was around the time I truly started watching it. I don't know if it was hanging by a thread by then, Digimon was a big hit and it was still a couple years away. Power Rangers was also still going pretty strong. That said, I understand that it was no longer in its prime, not without Batman, X-Men, etc.
"Golden Age Fox Kids" is from 1992 to 1996 (or maybe 1997, depending on how you look at it) and consists of Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Batman, X-Men, The Tick, Bobby's World and Eek the Cat. Well, and Power Rangers (which lead to the rise of Saban and them overtaking the network).

I stopped watching in 1995 as it looked like the line-up of shows was on the decline (though maybe it's more that I had graduated from High School and got busy with "real life").

Animaniacs left in 1995 (to join the new Kids WB). Tiny Toons had already ended.
The last 5 episodes of "Batman" aired in 1995, though it aired in reruns until Spring 1997. "The New Batman Adventures" joined Superman on Kids WB in the Fall of 1997.
The Tick finished airing in the Fall of 1996.
"Eek the Cat" and it's spinoffs finished in the Summer of 1997.
The last 5 episodes of "X-Men" aired in 1997, so that's my "cut off point", for the era, for me.
"Bobby's World" had a pitiful last season with the final 2 episodes airing in February of 1998.

I've told this story elsewhere on the forums, but I "rediscovered" Saturday mornings in Late 1998. I had moved to a new town and was able to pick up "Kids WB" for the first time with the TV antenna, and so I started watching it (just in time for the premiere of "Batman Beyond" in January 1999) and I also started watching Fox Kids around this time as well. But by this point, it was clear to me that the Fox Kids line-up was depleted (no matter how much I came to love Digimon).

Fox Kids was airing animation oddities and an overindulgence in live-action kids shows, and eventually relying too hard upon kids anime (like "Flint the Time Detective" and "Monster Rancher"). It had it's moments, but it was vastly different from the Fox Kids Golden Age....

EDIT: I guess to get back to the point of the thread, for Fox Kids to last beyond 2002, maybe if they had "joined forces" with 4Kids, instead of letting them take over following the sale to Disney, that might've been the way to go...

Last edited:

JaredCap43™

Forever, Fight as One!
May 11, 2016
Ratings
402 7
Baltimore, MD
I think we’d also have to prevent Disney’s retooling of the ABC Saturday morning block in 1996 and Pokémon’s release in the United States. I’d imagine one of the more “western” style anime being popular on Fox Kids in the 90’s.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
925 16
Springfield, MO
I think we’d also have to prevent Disney’s retooling of the ABC Saturday morning block in 1996 and Pokémon’s release in the United States. I’d imagine one of the more “western” style anime being popular on Fox Kids in the 90’s.
You know, you're on to something there:

Maybe if Fox Kids had nailed down a contract with either "Sailor Moon" and "Dragon Ball Z" (or both), that might've been just the thing Fox Kids needed! Sailor Moon started airing in 1995, Dragon Ball Z in 1996, both shows were syndicated, airing on either Fox, WB or UPN (depending on the local market). Cartoon Network got the exclusive rights in 1998 (and THAT is when Toonami truly started to take off in popularity).

Fox Kids could've altered their destiny if they had just had the foresight to sign DBZ or Sailor Moon to an exclusive. "Kids WB" signing Pokemon to an exclusive contract in January of 1999 is what helped cement it's standing as the leader in Saturday mornings.

Jean74

October is Here!
Apr 12, 2012
Ratings
Seymour TN
It is not just Fox Kids. But other networks are doing the same thing. As really cartoons not the same appeal then I grew up with in the 1980's-1990's or late. And early 2000's for a 43-year old kid at heat like me.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Do you think Fox would have taken Fox Kids to the next step of full on 24 hour network competing alongside Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, and Cartoon Network?
As interesting as that sounds, I think it would have been a pretty huge jump to make. Fox Kids was a popular block, but I don't know if they would have had the resources necessary to make it into a full blown channel. They would have needed a lot more shows and Fox probably wouldn't have been interested in making another channel just for kids. Plus, making another twenty four hour kids channel stand out against the established competition would have been really difficult.

As for the question itself, I don't know if I could have seen Fox Kids lasting for that much longer. If the block had another hit, that might have been able to carry them through most of the 2000's. I think that the combination of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! helped Kids' WB last longer, especially when the block was over just two years after losing both series. I remember watching more of Fox Kids for Digimon and Power Rangers, although I think I vaguely recall watching X-Men, Spider Man and maybe Batman during the golden age of the block too. I'm not sure what show they could have gotten at that point to really make the block stand out more though.

It would have been interesting if they had been able to air Digimon Frontier considering that a lot of fans didn't like the whole kids become Digimon twist at the time. I remember randomly finding the series on UPN before going to school one day and I'm pretty sure I watch the whole series there before it aired on Jetix.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
925 16
Springfield, MO
I think "Jetix" was basically the closest we got to a "Fox Kids 24/7" cable network. Strange that it took Disney buying them out to make that happen.

Jetix only lasted from February 2004 to February 2009. Arguably, that's the "continuation of Fox Kids past 2002" that everyone is discussing here, pondering what it would've been like. It's just that it was no longer tied to "Fox" by that point.

I do remember reruns of "Batman: The Animated Series" airing on Jetix around 2007/2008 though...

VHSTrader234

PM me to trade VHS tapes. KidsWB, CN, FoxBox
Aug 8, 2018
Ratings
35 2
California
I think "Jetix" was basically the closest we got to a "Fox Kids 24/7" cable network. Strange that it took Disney buying them out to make that happen.

Jetix only lasted from February 2004 to February 2009. Arguably, that's the "continuation of Fox Kids past 2002" that everyone is discussing here, pondering what it would've been like. It's just that it was no longer tied to "Fox" by that point.

I do remember reruns of "Batman: The Animated Series" airing on Jetix around 2007/2008 though...
Yeah I always loved when Jetix would say "New episode" of something that aired on KidsWB or FoxBox many many years ago. lol

But I guess it was new for someone.

Also the CW hosted some 4Kids content even in 2010. 4Kids was basically 80% of the FoxBox content so it kind of lived on in spirit.