What if Disney shut down after Sleeping Beauty?

Latest News

Mar 28, 2013
Ratings
Today, I learned that Sleeping Beauty almost caused Disney to shut down its animation division.

How different do you think things would be if they HAD? I think the entire animation landscape would be almost completely different.

Rhaynebow

Aug 11, 2013
Ratings
403 1
New York
Golly, a world without Disney? Considering how HUGE the company has gotten, it’s beyond difficult to imagine a world without it...but here goes.

The world as a whole would be different. The creatives of today didn’t just work at Disney, millions were INSPIRED by Disney. And not just animation. An amusement park I used to work at was made by a guy inspired by a Disney Park. Children’s clothing would be adorned with a different mascot, perhaps the Loony Tunes who themselves might be different without Disney’s wholesomeness driving them to be the opposite. Dreamworks wouldn’t exist. SHREK wouldn’t have existed. Ralph Bakshi wouldn’t have made his films.

As much as I despise Disney for building the Animation Age Ghetto, the world would suck without it because its sheer existence drives critics to stand up and do their own thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mimitchi33

Kiratto PriChan, On Air!
Jul 5, 2010
Ratings
74 1
Golly, a world without Disney? Considering how HUGE the company has gotten, it’s beyond difficult to imagine a world without it...but here goes.

The world as a whole would be different. The creatives of today didn’t just work at Disney, millions were INSPIRED by Disney. And not just animation. An amusement park I used to work at was made by a guy inspired by a Disney Park. Children’s clothing would be adorned with a different mascot, perhaps the Loony Tunes who themselves might be different without Disney’s wholesomeness driving them to be the opposite. Dreamworks wouldn’t exist. SHREK wouldn’t have existed. Ralph Bakshi wouldn’t have made his films.

As much as I despise Disney for building the Animation Age Ghetto, the world would suck without it because its sheer existence drives critics to stand up and do their own thing.

Agreed!

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,734 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
It really is hard to imagine considering how integral it is to the company to this day despite how much it expanded or branched out. The company might’ve stayed as small as it was back then at the time. Eventually they’ll get bought out, like it almost did in the 80s (I forgot by who) and the characters, while beloved, would not be as impactful today. They would’ve stopped making shorts, and the theme park will be the company’s biggest component. They would’ve made TV shows, but the Disney Afternoon wouldn’t be a thing, and they’ll just do what they can to keep Mickey relevant to the public.
Man, it’s a good thing Walt didn’t want to give up on it. That was a decision that changed his company and the world. Kind of scary, when you think about it.